Perfectly legal but can't return: Retiree expat voices frustrations to Thaivisa

webfact

42 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Land of Stoopid continually whining and crying about the economy, yet not a thing done. 7 months...6 unimplemented silly and onerous schemes to allow people back in...yet still scheming, whining and crying without a plan, nor a clue.

From the get-go, should have allowed any and all valid 1+ year visa/extension holders to return at any time. Marriage, Elite, Work, Business, Education, Retirement, etc. Come back any time if properly insured. Upon arrival will be tested and sent to 14 day quarantine, at the entrants full expense. Food, lodging, testing, everything at the entrants expense. 

Many hundreds, if not thousands, of us would be back home spending our money there, instead of wasting it all over the rest of the planet.

TIT to the MAX. ????

Nonsense. At the start, you had the chance to come back. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Many of us do love Thailand, but the frustrations of living there, and better opportunities elsewhere is why we left for neighboring countries.  Go where you are treated best.

By all means...but I always have a chuckle that so many of you still follow a Thailand focused forum. Maybe the grass isn't always greener?

• Like 1

Sometimes I think back & remember that before Covid Thailand was not really doing well economically

It was obvious the Emperor (Prayuth) had no clothes...He nor his crew had any idea/skills to run the country

It was sinking fast & folks were getting upset already

Then Covid came & really made for a perfect strawman for this inept excuse of a self proclaimed government

I think they are now torn knowing the country is still sinking fast while they themselves continue to eat at the public trough

But know full well better to have Covid/Public safety as the fall guy than who is really to blame in either case

As such I would not hold your breath on any changes coming soon as it would firmly shine the light back where it belonged all along

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Resident re-entry visa that expires in April.

I asked Immigration about extension and they said no. 

Fortunately Aust govt said I can leave.

I'm just waiting until they allow self isolation which in my opinion is safer than the current setup, and cheaper.

Particularly as I have a taxi driver son and secure house.

11 minutes ago, Bluce said:

I share your frustrations. I worked in Thailand for five years and then converted my visa for my family to a retirement visa. My wife is from Hong Kong we have 2 1/2-year-old twins we considered Thailand are home. In June we needed to come back to Hong Kong and are now unwelcome in Thailand. I had to cancel the lease that we were paying to our thai landlord and move our stuff into a smaller apt Iown.  We were paying for schools eating out golfing and traveling around Thailand. We were very good for the Thai economy  I would say....  I find it amazing they are making moves to allow tourists back in while completely disrespecting good residents who were on retirement visas Sad really....  We are now considering moving to Bali. 

Don't take it personally...Thailand will welcome you, and your spending, back when it is safe to do so. I've been to Bali many times and it's a beautiful place to visit but I wouldn't want to live, or raise a family, there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's possible as would be issued by Thai consulate, however as I mentioned earlier, I have not read one report of anyone with non O-A having been able to obtain COE and actually enter Thailand.

Bit unrelated but a Google relating to Thai repatriation numbers waiting and difficulties for Thai Elite and Married guys etc paints a picture of very long wait for non O-A entries.

This article makes a claim that non OA retirement extensions are now able to return to Thailand. What is the basis for that claim ? Are non OA extensions now on the approved to return list of visa categories?

1 minute ago, Thaifly88 said:

This article makes a claim that non OA retirement extensions are now able to return to Thailand. What is the basis for that claim ? Are non OA extensions now on the approved to return list of visa categories?

Yes...if you meet all the Covid related requirements. 

I and my wife are from the U.K. we both have extension of stay retirement stamps in our passports . Due to the daughter having a premature baby I got a BA flight for the wife last New Years Eve she was staying for 3 months sadly the virus hit her flight and subsequent flights were cancelled 10 months on she is still in the U.K. unable to get back to Thailand and I can say it’s having a serious strain on our marriage I would jump on a flight tomorrow back to the U.K. but we purchased a property in Thailand to live out our days as well as having rescued animals . I will be 70 in February and it seems very likely that I will be sitting in my chair as miserable as hell the Covid insurance for my age group is an absolute joke I was quoted 87,700 bht but come February it would be 100,000 bht yet when the virus hit I took out a Covid only insurance with a Thai company that would cover me for treatment in a government hospital and a payment to my wife if I died for the grand sum of 850 baht for the year . The only choice I can see if things don’t change is to board my property up and take the animals to the local vet I really don’t want to be forced into such a situation We moved to Thailand as a new chapter in our life to enjoy a nice hot climate and meet new friend for the first 14 years it was wonderful but all that has changed and the current government has been useless in the ways it’s handled the situation I personally have spent much time collecting food donations for hungry Thai grown ups and children rather than see them starve the island have been decimated yet we see an attempt to purchase new submarines and Generals in the military having there own private aircraft to get from A to B and each day all we hear from those in charge is Total BS ????????????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Actually the O visa holders visas have expired and they are on 1-year extensions of stay; so the situations are not the same thus the differential treatment. 

if the visa has been extended, how can it be "expired?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is utter madness. Some perspective to consider. In the USA, which is one of the most affect countries, we've seen on average 66 people per county (like an "Ampur" in Thailand) die in the last 8 months, mostly during the peak in feb-may. These people as we have learned were primarily elderly and/or had pre-existing medial conditions.

The county I'm from in Colorado has about 300k people in it. If no one had told me about the pandemic I would have had no idea that 66 people died in our county and it was from a virus. Older folks die everyday and we just accept this was there time.

How much longer can this go one? I guess we'll wait until winter for the "second wave" but even then how much more fear and panic can this one event continue to generate???

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Would you think the same if your spouse was stuck in another country 1,000s of mikes away .i think your comment is very selfish in other word F you Jack because I’m okay I don’t think you realise which way the Thai economy is going it’s on the cliff edge and when it happens law and order will break down it will be every man ,woman and youth taking the law into their own hands when things get so bad and you can no longer put food on the table and you have no employment your head goes crazy and I think there are 1,000s of people like that at the moment the bubble is about to burst .

He has the option of coming he just does not want to pay for isolation. So its his choice. 

Law and order will not break down your one of those doom and gloom people i seen them be wrong all the time. Thailand is going through the same thing many other tourist economies are going. 

Care to take a bet that order wont break down ? 

Besides people with spouces can get back in. Its just they don't want to pay for the isolation. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, n210mp said:

if the visa has been extended, how can it be "expired?

The 90 day "permission to stay" the visa allowed is extended one year...not the visa itself. Sez so right on the extension stamp.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Youlike said:

I think it's right to let the married spouses in first...that's why they were married and you could have done the same if you wanted.

Yes I agree to a point, married with/without children first followed by those with properties, g/f etc.

However I would expect those with situations as Mr P would be allowed back before long term tourists...

is he not considered the same?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, you really have to feel for the man, and all other retirees that are stuck outside at the moment. We can all agree that it would be same possible to allow them entry like the start of STV. However, so is not the case today. I sincerely hope that you all will be able to return soon. You got my sympathy. 

I agree to a point, he has a valid gripe now we are in October and long term tourists are being considered.

But having said that anyone who left Thailand in March for a vacation was risking the consequences of a lock down, and not getting back in.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

By all means...but I always have a chuckle that so many of you still follow a Thailand focused forum. Maybe the grass isn't always greener?

It is greener outside of Thailand financially and more productive.  That is why so many working farangs have left.  I work with some very kind, patient people there and the junta annoys me and the people I work with

Socially, Thailand is great, but when Shanwatras ran things, you could actually have the freedom to do more there.  Today, you cannot even build a boat in your own back yard in Thailand, as it is against the law if you do not have a working permit.