Perfectly legal but can't return: Retiree expat voices frustrations to Thaivisa

webfact

I totally sympathize .. I am married to a non Thai . We both have retirement extensions to our visa and are 7 month in Chiang Mai snow birds. We have assets and property including car and condos and pay taxes. We also have 1.6m baht sitting  doing nothing to support our visas as well as a hefty sum deposited for living expences..After years of extreme burning seasons in Chiang mai and now the denial of entry even without the offer of paid quarantine we feel very much that we no longer have two homes with our MAIN place being Thailand is no longer viable. Complete with yellow books and pink ID and after years of visiting quite a fair knowledge of the country  people and coups and language we are not really surprised after all TIT. Yes we are pleased to see the lack of covid in Thailand but worry for many if our friends there too for the lack of money being spent by  people like us who have made our home there.. 

When we can get back our extension visa will not be valid so we will come on the simplest visa possible and commence repatriating as much of our assets as possible with a view to relocating . Very sad.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Why didn't he marry his girlfriend/partner in June when he had the chance? He could have been back now. 

IMO; That’s a question that nobody should ever be compelled to answer. Marriage a legal government contract and simply a form of, religion or government trying to impose controls upon people’s personal relationships.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Youlike said:

I think it's right to let the married spouses in first...that's why they were married and you could have done the same if you wanted.

Doesn't make any difference if you live as a Defacto/Partner couple or you Married .It's only a piece of Paper the rest is same Like Kids,House,car Living . 

A de facto relationship is when you and your partner have a relationship and live together as a couple but are not married.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

There is no such thing as a non o retirement visa?

There is a Non-immigrant "O [for`other`]" visa, which allows a single entry (permission to stay) into Thailand for 90 days. If one qualifies, permission to stay may be extended an additional year...and for subsequent years thereafter.

32 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There is a Non-immigrant "O [for`other`]" visa, which allows a single entry (permission to stay) into Thailand for 90 days. If one qualifies, permission to stay may be extended an additional year...and for subsequent years thereafter.

I know that..but if you go onto an ext of stay for 1 year, then you are no longer on a NON O..so you cannot have a non O retirement ext..it's either one or the other.

21 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I left at the death of my father wasn't asking for trouble but got a shed load ????

I couldn't go back to attend my brother's funeral because I was on a "Under Consideration" stamp for a change of extension.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yes, I understand all of that. The OP said he holds a "non-O" category visa with extension of stay based on retirement...so my question is why would he have a NON O and an ext based on retirement? I understand he would have needed a NON O initially to get the 1 yr ext, but he makes it sound as if he has a NON O and an ext? As you said once you get ext the original NON O becomes dead?

he doesn't.  but that's the way people talk about visas. 

we often say "i'm on a retirement visa" when we really should be saying "i have a one-year extension of stay based on an expired non-immigrant o-visa, issued for reason of retirement, with permission of stay remaining valid outside of thailand based on a current re-entry permit valid thru the duration of the active permission of stay."

On 10/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, webfact said:

He holds a "non-O" category visa with extension of stay based on retirement and is concerned that he and many like him are being treated differently to other classes of "O" visa holders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Note that the UK has just been put on the Thai  blacklist for the new visa due to the very bad way in which

Boris's Government has handled the virus.

I have been trying to help a Sydney resident & Australian get back home now for 6 weeks.

Thai run a Sunday flight each week bookable only through the Oz Embassy, so far no luck.

For info charge for 14 days quarantine in Sydney app' 6,600 Thai Baht  (Returning Australians also have to pay)

Better check that conversion rate...?

21 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Why didn't he marry his girlfriend/partner in June when he had the chance? He could have been back now. 

REALLY!!!  Don't you have the wisdom of looking into the future!  Here I am living with my 'partner' and want to go on vacation.....But oh, we should get married in the event we are not allowed to return.  There is no one on this planet would have thought this pandemic would have stopped world travel as it has.

What are you saying, get married in June?  Last year?  This year which is the beginning he was in the UK in March.  Either way, your response is a deflection.  It is the fairness or equality of honoring valid visas etc.  But this is Thailand and being supper protective.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:17 AM, vadid said:

Sorry, anyone who went to the UK for a "short holiday in March" was asking for trouble.

I am one of those who come to the U.K. in March with my Thai partner and  our son and still stuck here. Asking for trouble who could have predicted that a pandemic would have occurred and Thailand would be locked down ?

• Like 2

Just now, renaissanc said:

The lack of compassion in the replies is mind-blowing. He is in a difficult position. He's feeling all sorts of emotions. He misses being with his partner. He just wants to get home to Thailand. I see lots of people scolding the man for not returning sooner. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for supressing your humanity.

How about yourself: Do you think he should had stayed in Thailand or was it the right choice to leave in March .

What do you think about it ?

1 minute ago, renaissanc said:

The lack of compassion in the replies is mind-blowing. He is in a difficult position. He's feeling all sorts of emotions. He misses being with his partner. He just wants to get home to Thailand. I see lots of people scolding the man for not returning sooner. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for supressing your humanity.

They are not suppressing it, it dont exist. 

3 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Some cynical people quoting, hindsight is a great thing.

• Like 1

Some guy has posted on here how he thinks anyone who disagrees with people travelling during March or earlier hopes something happens to anyone with that view. 

17th March UK advised all but essential travel.

I was due to go back in Jan but changed my plans not because of the virus but another matter. By February Thai people were wearing masks way before the government began giving any advice. 

There was enough outbreak information during that 1st quarter to realise aeroplane travel was a risky step.

Even now it is a risky step and retirees being a major at risk group is surely part of the reason why retirees are not getting back so quickly.

I feel for the guy who wrote in and maybe his 6 year gf can become his wife in the event of future issues. I agree it is not right to look at that as a solution but what else can you do to get that acceptance into a flight.

What happened to people who made the decision not to leave:

Had to cancel all travel plans

Had to go on amnesty and left in limbo 

Had to search high and low for a long term solution

Had to learn of family deaths via phone call

Had to isolate and not buy beer for one month

Had to read about amnesty fears everyday for months

It was super clear what the deal was with this virus in February. I suggest as an international traveller you keep upto date with world affairs and maybe you could have made a better decision on your plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sep by step.  Thailand will allow retirees back in due time.  Yesterday I talked to a retiree who came in on the STV.  He will extend for a year near the end of his 3rd three-month extension.  He said he was pleased with his treatment at the airport and at the quarantine hotel.  I think that Thailand is doing the best that it can with the limited quarantine facilities available.

Feelings of frustration are understandable.  I can’t go to Tokyo to take care of pressing business because the way is not yet open to return to Thailand.

My sympathies to retirees but buck up.  This new two factor monoclonal antibody treatment holds great possibilities if it is found the be generally safe.  The American government is vowing to make it available for everybody free.  If it does, it could probably by duplicated and made available by Thailand - at a high price, no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were in complete denial about the stupidity of their own actions on here shortly after the lockdown commenced. Blaming everyone except themselves for their own bad decisions.

It was obvious that a lockdown could happen as early as end of Feb so anyone travelling subsequent to that period took a massive risk.

Well, it's not really your home is it? Or are you still in denial about your status here? 

Some people will never learn I guess.

i flew back into thailand on the 15th march from philippines i left there after only 4 nights as manila was locked down and i got the last flight out of there back to thailand , since then my flight back to uk has been cancelled 2 times by thai airways and my travel agent in uk has gone bust so i cannot change date on my ticket which expires on 2nd december and thai airways wont do anything as they say the ticket belongs to the uk travel agent even though thai airways have been paid they still wont give me a refund or just put me down next year to go back uk when they are flying again as all tickets booked direct with thai airways have been extended 1 year but mine they cannot do anything terrible customer service thai airways and nowhere to complain on their website i had to go to their head office in bangkok to tell them but they still wont do anything so i will have to buy another flight when i go back uk , the 1 thing i have got though is i applied for a 15 month retirement visa on 31st july the last day and have now got that from august to near end of november 2021 so i can stay here in thailand , i would not want to be back in uk as its lockdown after lockdowni am better off here in thailand with my 20 year old girlfriend i can cuddle up to her all winter ha ha LOL

30 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Sep by step.  Thailand will allow retirees back in due time.  Yesterday I talked to a retiree who came in on the STV.  He will extend for a year near the end of his 3rd three-month extension.  He said he was pleased with his treatment at the airport and at the quarantine hotel.  I think that Thailand is doing the best that it can with the limited quarantine facilities available.

Feelings of frustration are understandable.  I can’t go to Tokyo to take care of pressing business because the way is not yet open to return to Thailand.

My sympathies to retirees but buck up.  This new two factor monoclonal antibody treatment holds great possibilities if it is found the be generally safe.  The American government is vowing to make it available for everybody free.  If it does, it could probably by duplicated and made available by Thailand - at a high price, no doubt.

Was he pleased with the 100,000 baht bill he got for his 14 day isolation on arrival ? i doubt it unless he is rich 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

Totally agree,  Op don't take any notice of these keyboard warriors with their feeble views, they only come on here to abuse someone after a belly full of courage and have the intelligence of a typical garden pea, I do hope it all works out for you and you are re united with your gf soon.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

STV is still being discussed so he couldn’t have come back on one ?

• Like 1

Sucks, but COVID screwed up a lot for everyone. No sympathy here. It’s life, deal with it. Not to mention Thailand is not your country no matter how many houses, cars, friends, or thai girlfriends you have there. It’s their rules, period. Expats seem so entitled sometimes. If you don’t like it, stay in the UK. That’s your country. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

he doesn't.  but that's the way people talk about visas. 

He doesn't what??? It's very clear what is said in the OP that he has a  "Non-O" category visa with extension of stay based on retirement''  I don't care what he is meant to be saying. Give it up fella, it's boring. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

Sucks, but COVID screwed up a lot for everyone. No sympathy here. It’s life, deal with it. Not to mention Thailand is not your country no matter how many houses, cars, friends, or thai girlfriends you have there. It’s their rules, period. Expats seem so entitled sometimes. If you don’t like it, stay in the UK. That’s your country. 

Harsh, but true...  If I were Thailand I would not be overly interested in bringing people in from mismanaged countries that are still hot-zones... (other than the required citizen repatriations). 

Every visa has different treatment and different goals, that is why they are different visas ????  There are very few people, even when it starts the opening up process, that will be allowed in... i.e. a long slow trial period.  All non-immigrant visas have no expectations of permanency...  so now... I would not expect admittance to happen anytime soon... In fact the current plans are not supported by Thais... If you are not a permanent resident (PR) or citizen - you should have no more expectations than those on tourist visas (all temporary for different lengths of time).

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:11 AM, DrJack54 said:

Think article mentioned extension with reentry permit. He cannot cancel that. Needs to wait until it expires. He could then apply for non O-A. 

The thing is in visa forum, I have not seen a report of someone entering Thailand going down that path. Also threads of huge difficulty/frustration of guys that purchased Thai Elite visa.

The new STV is just a red herring and only available for select countries. Obviously China on list.

Before folk complain about Thai gov look at places such as Au. There are caps on weekly entries of Au citizens. The real issue is quarantine capacity. Hotel quarantine logistically is huge task.

Sadly non o retirement will have (most likely) their until date run out well prior to them being added to non O-A, who in reality can't enter either.

Do you have a link to the elite visa re-entry problems?

20 hours ago, Pravda said:

Cry me a river. 

Next! 

Heartless expletives.....amazing that most here want to site rules and regulations and what ifs....while you all  are in Thailand under the exact conditions and visas we ourselves are being denied using.  Most of yiu CANT go back to your homeland either on the lamb or too expensive.   ALL of you are guests of the Kindom. Married or otherwise to your ladies or ladyboys regardless of your visa. 

Edited by Bkktodd

On 10/7/2020 at 6:00 PM, MRToMRT said:

Is he wrong there? I applied for ext of stay on a non O on basis of retirement and I never provided a police record or med cert??

I was thinking the same. I didn't get a police record or a REAL med cert, and most probably neither did he. I cringe when I hear farang say "my home, my country" when he only has a 1 year guest visa. 

Edited by riverhigh
typing errors
  • Like 1