Perfectly legal but can't return: Retiree expat voices frustrations to Thaivisa

webfact

I arrived Europe on February 7. Usually I spend maximum 6 weeks out of Thailand. To assist my mother (90+) I scheduled to stay 2 months, exceptionally, i.e. 18 more days with a return flight on April 6/7. I knew the international situation was critical but I thought I will be back in time. However, the flight was cancelled days before and the Thai border closed. If I would fly earlier I would not have fulfilled my wish and duty to help my mother what was needed first time in life. Usually I come to Europe a second time in fall but this year it is only one long time, until now 8 months.

I came to Thailand first time in 1984, then yearly mainly twice, and am an expat since 11 years. Not married, on *retirement non-imm re-entry permit* which expires on December 18. Years ago, the IO changed my extension from non-imm OA to O. He said it is easier and OA is not necessary. I thought they cancelled the OA and shifted all retirement expats to O.

I am not bored here as I still have to do this and that but I am afraid to loose my "visa" and need to start from scratch. No to speak about the monthly costs in Thailand which are paid by standing order. My original ticket is valid until end of January, thus I do not need/want to spend a special flight with Thai Airways. In addition I am afraid to pay for the expensive quarantine prison. I will arrive from a low risk country and have no problem to accept home isolation in my condo as I have enough friends who can put food in front of my door. The officers may test me as often they want, control me by an hightech bracelet and threaten me with a penalty of 1-2 millions/billions. But slowly I am loosing the illusion ........

On 10/7/2020 at 10:56 AM, Youlike said:

I think it's right to let the married spouses in first...that's why they were married and you could have done the same if you wanted.

Who are you to spout an opinion on the right to let spouses (they would be married wouldn't they) in first?

I doubt many "were married and you could have done the same if you wanted"..... Just to get a visa......

Do you know all the circumstances of the poster?  So how do you know he  "could have done the same if you wanted."

There are many reasons possible for why he didn't get married at the time you suggest.....

This forum would be better sticking to facts and opinions which are supported by evidence not someone commenting on an unknown (to him) circumstances and what others "should have done." 

In any case it is NOT helpful to comment on "should have dones"...you probably have many!

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Whilst i sympathise with your condition & hope things work out for you, I trust that (as you currently live in Thailand) you will be paying for the treatment in the UK (Fun fact, as an Expat Brit it's 1.5x the cost for non-Brits). 

Or you can get it done "Free" on the NHS if you're repatriating to the UK, but if that were the case, you wouldn't have any concerns about returning to Thailand afterwards until it was time for you next holiday. 

I'm guessing that you want to pop back to the UK, have the treatment done "Free" on the NHS (despite not being entitled to it) & then return "home" to Thailand... You can see why somebody might not have too much sympathy about you not being able to get back in after declaring yourself to be repatriating to the UK.... If this is the case, do the smart thing and book a one-way flight & arrange somewhere to stay for 6 months.

Why are you "guessing that you want to pop back to the UK, have the treatment done "Free" on the NHS (despite not being entitled to it) & then return "home" to Thailand".

He may have international health insurance and have his treatment done where he chooses.....

And what business is ot of yours anyway?

4 hours ago, renaissanc said:

The lack of compassion in the replies is mind-blowing. He is in a difficult position. He's feeling all sorts of emotions. He misses being with his partner. He just wants to get home to Thailand. I see lots of people scolding the man for not returning sooner. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for supressing your humanity.

I totally agree with you. The inhumanity of certain individuals is quite sickening. I can just wish them to find themselves in miserable situations in the future.  Sooner or later the life will show them the bill

27 minutes ago, flyvnsky said:

Why are you "guessing that you want to pop back to the UK, have the treatment done "Free" on the NHS (despite not being entitled to it) & then return "home" to Thailand".

He may have international health insurance and have his treatment done where he chooses.....

And what business is ot of yours anyway?

For starters, there are very few International Insurance Policies that would allow you to elect to have the procedure done in the UK & anybody who had one of those but didn't trust Thailand hospitals would probably go to Singapore so it wasn't too much of a stretch to "Guess" his intentions & he confirmed as much in later posts.

Whilst I don't agree with the way the UK Government treats it's Expats (I'm one of them) or it's pensioners (I'm retired but not a pensioner), the rules are clear so whilst I understand & empathise with his reasoning why he should be entitled to the treatment, the simple fact is that he's not, unless he's repatriating which he's made clear he's not.... A simple fact that I pointed out in my post, what value did your post add to the discussions?  

It's a forum, if people post stuff on here then others can say their piece, he's been in Thailand for 6 years maybe he (or any other reader) didn't realise that UK Expats are not entitled to free NHS care (or that they need to pay 150% of the costs)..

Anyway, what business is it of yours what my business is? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Am I missing something here? When I was on my annual 3 week holiday in the UK, I got everything I needed to know about Thailand online with Thaivisa.

Can you not get the Bangkok Post online in the UK? I would find it hard to believe that you couldn't.

Why are you replying to me?

I was asking the OP the question why he couldn't go online from UK?

5 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

People in his position with valid visas should be put before tourists. Also there should be in place a means to renew the visa so they don't have to start again from scratch. It's not hard to be fair.

What about people who had valid Visas that have expired snd can’t renew because they are not in Thailand ?

I have been here 12 yrs

First two on retirement extension

Then I switched to marriage extension, many said why, immigration said retirement easier please do that

I said No, I 

I said Thailand too unpredictable, and maybe marriage safest

So today with marriage, still no mandatory insurance, still not having to hold 800,00 in account all the time

At 75, uninsurable I worry I might be thrown out

I support a wife, two sons, two parents, and three full time workers in the house and gardens, BUT this is  Thailand

MAYBE HUMAN RIGHTS NEEDS IMPROVING

5 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Sep by step.  Thailand will allow retirees back in due time.  Yesterday I talked to a retiree who came in on the STV.  He will extend for a year near the end of his 3rd three-month extension.  He said he was pleased with his treatment at the airport and at the quarantine hotel.  I think that Thailand is doing the best that it can with the limited quarantine facilities available.

Feelings of frustration are understandable.  I can’t go to Tokyo to take care of pressing business because the way is not yet open to return to Thailand.

My sympathies to retirees but buck up.  This new two factor monoclonal antibody treatment holds great possibilities if it is found the be generally safe.  The American government is vowing to make it available for everybody free.  If it does, it could probably by duplicated and made available by Thailand - at a high price, no doubt.

If I understand what you wrote you say he came in on the new STV and has gone thru quarantine? How is that possible since no arrivals on STV have been allowed yet. Did he come in on a different visa? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive written this before ...

According to my recently retired I.O. neighbour  , there is a war going on between the IO off shore ( the children of the Elites ) , and regular Thai I.O's based in Thailand.

The off shore IO's approve everybody , collect the fees and DO NOT check the credentials/records , then   do NOT  send the full  application  fee amount to Thailand ( and thus the big  boss here in Thailand who cant control them ... doesnt ...ahhmmm , do  as well as he 'should'  ! 555)

We falang  are all the meat in the sandwich according to him.

He says they have been trying to steer falang to only "O'' visas issued IN Thailand  for 2 years now ... the last 'stick 'wass to make falang on O-As  buy compulsory Insurance , and that was planned  to  drive them over to "O'' visas.

Dunno. Ive been here long enough to be cynical about anything I hear here ...

On 10/7/2020 at 1:38 AM, webfact said:

He said that he has a perfectly legal visa, but after leaving on a short holiday in March he has been unable to get back home to Thailand. 

It was WELL KNOW before March this was a GLOBAL PANDEMIC.  This person CHOOSE to leave IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC.

Duh.

Choices have consequences.  Where does this person accept responsibility for their *RECKLESS* choice to fly out of Thailand for a "vacation".

My God.  Dense. ????

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were in complete denial about the stupidity of their own actions on here shortly after the lockdown commenced. Blaming everyone except themselves for their own bad decisions.

It was obvious that a lockdown could happen as early as end of Feb so anyone travelling subsequent to that period took a massive risk.

Well, it's not really your home is it? Or are you still in denial about your status here? 

Some people will never learn I guess.

During February and March so many people here and overseas were in complete denial and woefully ignorant of the impending crackdown.

It amazed me how people could be so naive or just plain stupid as it was very clear to those who did some fundamental research that this was going to be much bigger than SARS or any previous pandemic in the last 2 decades. 

The common thread was dont worry this will all be over very soon and it'll be happy days again in Nana, Cowboy, WS, before you know it. So how did that work out. 

I made some grim predictions to those around me and was howled down as either full of sht or Mr Doom and Gloom. 

I travelled to a neighbouring country early March for a short business trip and rescheduled my return flight as the daily news reports worsened due to the draconian measures being introduced. 

Amazingly many people worldwide travelled to other countries during March and some into April then became grounded and  are still trapped. 

I only sympathise with those who had no choice but to return to their home country during February and March and were left stranded, but zero for those who ignored the warnings to take another holiday. 

BTW if you think 2020 has been rough and are shocked by the rapid deterioration of the overall business conditions in TL, then wait until 2021. 

If you are seriously contemplating leaving TL permanently then I would suggest that you sell all your assets here ASAP. 

And dont hold too much B.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Evans said:

During February and March so many people here and overseas were in complete denial and woefully ignorant of the impending crackdown.

It amazed me how people could be so naive or just plain stupid as it was very clear to those who did some fundamental research that this was going to be much bigger than SARS or any previous pandemic in the last 2 decades. 

The common thread was dont worry this will all be over very soon and it'll be happy days again in Nana, Cowboy, WS, before you know it. So how did that work out. 

I made some grim predictions to those around me and was howled down as either full of sht or Mr Doom and Gloom. 

I travelled to a neighbouring country early March for a short business trip and rescheduled my return flight as the daily news reports worsened due to the draconian measures being introduced. 

Amazingly many people worldwide travelled to other countries during March and some into April then became grounded and  are still trapped. 

I only sympathise with those who had no choice but to return to their home country during February and March and were left stranded, but zero for those who ignored the warnings to take another holiday. 

BTW if you think 2020 has been rough and are shocked by the rapid deterioration of the overall business conditions in TL, then wait until 2021. 

If you are seriously contemplating leaving TL permanently then I would suggest that you sell all your assets here ASAP. 

And dont hold too much B.

@Mark Evans jesus another fortune teller.can i have the winning lottery numbers? seeming as you must be able to predict the future

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 2

Yes it is crazy. I have Non immigrant O visa and extension on retirement. Have multiple reentry visa and had been living in Thailand for almost 9 years. I too left Thailand end of February for a holiday and still I am not able to go back. I have a permanent rental agreement for which I am still paying rental. My expenses in Thailand has never been less than 70000 Bhat a month, so I am contributing to Thailand economy as well.

I hope the authorities will understand soon that not allowing people like us to reenter Thailand on their legal visa is only harming Thailand economy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

Yes it is crazy. I have Non immigrant O visa and extension on retirement. Have multiple reentry visa and had been living in Thailand for almost 9 years. I too left Thailand end of February for a holiday and still I am not able to go back. I have a permanent rental agreement for which I am still paying rental. My expenses in Thailand has never been less than 70000 Bhat a month, so I am contributing to Thailand economy as well.

I hope the authorities will understand soon that not allowing people like us to reenter Thailand on their legal visa is only harming Thailand economy.

not only harming the economy but the government's reputation as well

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What about people who had valid Visas that have expired snd can’t renew because they are not in Thailand ?

They are no longer welcome in Thailand and must remain in their home countries. 

That was easy, ask me another. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It's just another reminder that NON-immigrant and TEMPORARY permit to stay mean exactly that. Don't invest more in Thailand than you're willing to walk away from.

This is the correct answer but so many will not get it. 

There is no permanence here unless you qualify for PR, which most will not. 

It's designed that way, and you must understand the reasons why and reconcile yourself with that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/7/2020 at 5:11 PM, DrJack54 said:

The real issue is quarantine capacity. Hotel quarantine logistically is huge task.

Exactly...........

A proven secure quarantine system needs to be established after which the approved categories of eligible entrants can be expanded to all visa types otherwise quarantine & testing means naught. 

Land borders represent the biggest threat to local communities not O/A visa holders who are no more of a threat than O visa holders after passing through quarantine.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:17 PM, vadid said:

Sorry, anyone who went to the UK for a "short holiday in March" was asking for trouble.

You have many negative and even more positive responses to your reply. 

Though you stated it harshly and bluntly, you stated a truth. 

I went thru the same ambivalence in March and was planning an April exit to return and get a Non-O to replace my Non-OA. I decided to just buy a good insurance policy from Pacific Cross and renew my OA permission to stay. 

I have lived here only four years but know the vagaries and confusion with immigration and chose to take the safest route. Long timers should know this even better than I.

I didn't gamble with re-entry because I couldn't afford to lose my life here. I do not regret my decision. I have made peace with not returning to visit my home country for at least a year and maybe more. 

That said, I truly sympathize with those locked out now and for the foreseeable future. No matter how you bob and weave life drops a rock on you sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

my flight back to uk has been cancelled 2 times by thai airways and my travel agent in uk has gone bust so i cannot change date on my ticket which expires on 2nd december and thai airways wont do anything as they say the ticket belongs to the uk travel agent even though thai airways have been paid they still wont give me a refund or just put me down next year to go back uk when they are flying again as all tickets booked direct with thai airways have been extended 1 year but mine they cannot do

Firstly if your UK travel agent has gone bust can you not use that fund that responsible travel agents are meant to pay into to get assistance?

Secondly there is a big difference between "cannot" & "will not" amend a travel itinerary booked by a travel agent. You need to go up the ladder and contact CS in writing upon receipt of an unacceptable reply again in writing forward your case to the Thai media.

You will get nowhere with an over the counter approach with a big airline and that is not a Thai thing - happened to me with Lufthansa at IAH, Houston when THEIR pilots went on strike. Those passengers who held a ticket directly purchased were endorsed to fly BA to London or where ever those with an employer's travel agent ticket had to fire up their laptops and lodge an emergency travel request.  

Now retired I never use an agent for flights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paulikens said:

@Mark Evans jesus another fortune teller.can i have the winning lottery numbers? seeming as you must be able to predict the future

You don't need to be a fortune teller to figure out things have a good chance of shutting down.  You have 2+ months of warning that a pandemic was coming.  You have the Chinese government shutting down areas to get control of the situation... and proving that it may be hard but can be done... maybe not to the same extent but you should easily have been able to foreshadow it (I was warning friends and family back home that this pandemic was coming and to prepare -- and I am no fortune teller or someone with great skills in this area)...  Oh, and home governments were already warning about flying home 'while you can' and other countries had already closed their borders.  (and it was also widely known that a vaccine would take at least 18 months to develop - best case scenario).  And pretty much everyone knows the dirty secret that one of the weaknesses when it comes to contagions in the modern era is our flying petri dish system...  hhhmmm... but then there were lots of people that stuck their heads in the sand and started to hum...

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1