Receiving cured meats by mail

Barnabe

7 hours ago, Barnabe said:

My family wants to send me some cured meats (chorizo etc) in the mail in the next few days.

I am pretty sure that this is not allowed due to food / veterinary regulations but has anyone ever received such items successfully?

Not allowed. Excerpt from https://www.thailandlaw.org/thai-customs-prohibited-and-restricted-goods.html (hghlighting in bold red is mine):

Restricted Goods

Under same article of the Customs Act of 1926, the Ministry of Commerce is allowed to designate certain classes of goods that are subject to import controls. The controls are generally in the form of licensing or government permission.

The following items require permission from specific government departments in order to be allowed customs clearance into Thailand.

• Office of National Police – Firearms, parts thereof and ammunition
  • Fine Arts Department – Buddha images; Artifacts and antiques
  • Post & Telegraph Department – Radio transceivers and telecommunications equipment
  • Department of Agriculture – Plants and planting materials
  • Department of Live Stock Development – Live animals and animal products
  • Office of Food and Drugs Administration – Medicines and chemical products

•  

9 hours ago, Barnabe said:

I know it's not allowed... doesn't mean they will catch it though. Hence my question if anyone did it and got caught.

Did you think, even for a moment, why it's not allowed? Do you really want to risk importing diseases which might destroy the Thailand pork industry? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Did you think, even for a moment, why it's not allowed? Do you really want to risk importing diseases which might destroy the Thailand pork industry? 

Except it won’t, because they are produced in a EU country where food safety standards are some of the highest in the world and incomparable to Thai.

54 minutes ago, Oxx said:

So, you're an arrogant, antisocial psychopath, prepared deliberately to ignore the rules that Thailand has put in place to protect its food industry just because you want to suck on a sausage?  If you care that little about Thailand, I suggest you go and guzzle on your sausages in that EU country, rather than risking the livelihoods of hard working farmers here.

Oh please get off your high horse and evaluate the risk here, it's minimal.

Are you trying to say you have never broken any rules here in Thailand?

If you lived here more than a month you'll know that rules are broken all the time, especially by the locals.

And I guess you can't handle the reality that despite Thailand being a fantastic country to live in, and not a third world country by any means, it still falls short of Western standards in many things, such as food standards, corruption, road safety, etc?

Or are you going to call me a racist now for pointing that out?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Try sending it to Australia, receiver would be subject to hefty fine and goods destroyed.

Bio security is taken very seriously by most of the world and so it should be by Thailand.

Edited by PJPom
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, tgw said:

there are very good locally produced cured meats for comparable cost.

totally agree - I also like cured & smoked meats and get it usually at Foodland (Pattaya Klang Shop). They have all kinds of GREAT stuff .... from Europe!!

It would be worth a try. My parents brought me several times vacuum packed and tinned sausages by their luggage and also sent by postal package. Won't be a big loss unless you are sending tons of meat. From what I've heard Thai customs nowadays searching mainly for packages from China and India and the content of illegal medicine/drugs.

21 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Except it won’t, because they are produced in a EU country where food safety standards are some of the highest in the world and incomparable to Thai.

Not forgetting they are cooked & cured.

ie not raw meat.

20 hours ago, Oxx said:

So, you're an arrogant, antisocial psychopath, prepared deliberately to ignore the rules that Thailand has put in place to protect its food industry just because you want to suck on a sausage?

That's a Tad Strong Lingo there mate . 

Just Don't forget that Thailand Import All kinds of Processed and Frozen Meats From Europe and Other countries .

One can Buy them in Many shops/Supermarkets.

The Illegal bit is there To protect the Bad Meat from Some countries to be Brought in.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, Barnabe said:

That's right, but I would be more worried about broken cooling chain. Though it might be packed vacuum, what you think is the quality after a couple of days in the Thai heat? Enjoy.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, Barnabe said:

I know it's not allowed... doesn't mean they will catch it though. Hence my question if anyone did it and got caught.

Do you really want an answer to that question? You want to risk being cooped up in an IDC prior to deportation just so you can gnaw on a sausage? Thais get away with a wai and an apology, doesn't mean the same applies to farangs.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, Barnabe said:

Oh please get off your high horse and evaluate the risk here, it's minimal.

Are you trying to say you have never broken any rules here in Thailand?

If you lived here more than a month you'll know that rules are broken all the time, especially by the locals.

And I guess you can't handle the reality that despite Thailand being a fantastic country to live in, and not a third world country by any means, it still falls short of Western standards in many things, such as food standards, corruption, road safety, etc?

Or are you going to call me a racist now for pointing that out?

Why don’t you just eat healthy, non of this processed stuff.

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Do you really want an answer to that question? You want to risk being cooped up in an IDC prior to deportation just so you can gnaw on a sausage? Thais get away with a wai and an apology, doesn't mean the same applies to farangs.

What a ridiculous reply !

You really know nothing or you are just pretending ?