Getting Thai license from UK Car License

Hi all

Looking to get a Thai bike license.  I have a full UK car listen, but not bike license. Im looking to get a license here in Bangkok. Ive heard a real mix of information, from people saying I can just convert my UK to Thai, to people saying I need to do a 2 day theory and practical test? Or is it you can convert a UK car to car but not car to bike?

Ive also heard there is a slight change of procedure due to COVID, anyone heard about that?

Ive previously never ridden with a bike license but getting tired of hassled and fined so want to be fully legit, and think it might be easier to get a big big liscence when they eventually come out if I already have a normal one!

Any info/advice would be great. 

Thanks

Okay understand, here it says suspended until further notice https://www.dlt.go.th/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

I guess the fact that its impossible to get a license won't stop the BiB handing out fines! Ive ridden in the provinces for years without license but recently moved to Bangkok and things seem to be a lot stricter and grown tired of dodging fines etc. Just want no hassle. 

Any suggestions what to do? Want to be legit but they dont make it easy! 

4 hours ago, james12345thailand said:

I guess the fact that its impossible to get a license won't stop the BiB handing out fines!

Haha!

They forgot to remove the banner from the English language site!

Very sure they restarted issuing new licenses and extend existing licenses.

For extension of existing licenses it is said to be enough to carry the confirmed appointment with you to avoid fine.

Don't know about application for new (temporary) license.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

This is probably a bit irrelevant as you don't go back to UK and don't already have international driving permit (IDP)...

But a few time that I got IDP from UK post office, this is a few years ago, maybe 5 or so, I paid the £5 and filled up the form and handed it over, then the guy issued and stamped various parts on IDP, when I looked later, he stamped the section for motorbikes...!!!? (when I only had car license)... It clearly stamped and said I have motorbike license...! 

So maybe someone can just show that at the DLT office here without the originals and say he has both car and bike licenses... ????

Edited by Agusts
  • Confused 1

I recommend you contact "Fatboy's Thai Drivers License Service: Bangkok", Google them. I do not speak good enough Thai, nor fancied sussing it all out myself. They worked out and advised what I needed to do prior to going, arranged medical and took me through the process at the DLT in Bangkok. All for what I considered a small and very worthwhile fee.

No axe to grind, just received good service and happy to refer.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, james12345thailand said:

I guess the fact that its impossible to get a license won't stop the BiB handing out fines!

It is that people who do not have a licence to drive/ride should not drive/ride. 

So nothing wrong with the BIB handing out fines if you break the law.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, boriga said:

I recommend you contact "Fatboy's Thai Drivers License Service: Bangkok", Google them. I do not speak good enough Thai, nor fancied sussing it all out myself. They worked out and advised what I needed to do prior to going, arranged medical and took me through the process at the DLT in Bangkok. All for what I considered a small and very worthwhile fee.

No axe to grind, just received good service and happy to refer.

I don't live in Bangkok nor do I know this riding school, however I certainly using a riding school. It's not the cheapest route but I'm sure the O/P will secure his licence and pick up a few good tips on the way.

My Thai wife gained her licence that way and she's certainly a safer rider for having done so.

I got a motorbike license from scratch last week in Pattaya (Banglamung). The wait for an appointment was 10 days. The theory test was the same as for the car license. You can study for the test in advance at a site called move2thailand.com which contains several hundred sample questions with answers highlighted. Some luck is required because they are machine translatio

ns of the original Thai questions and sometimes don't make sense. There is a color blindness test and a reaction time test, and a brief road test - not very demanding if you can  balance on the bike and steer it.

• Like 1

You cannot convert your UK to Thai. All depends where you live, go to your Provincial Transport Office & ask what paperwork you need. Twenty years ago i went with everything required to my local office & they fobbed me off said i can't have one. I went back to the village & got the Pho Yai to phone the office back. The next day i went back, i was ushered into a back room and sat with the boss lady drinking coffee & biscuits. Whilst the same time, the same person whom yesterday said i couldn't have one, made my licence for me. "There are many ways to skin a Cat", so don't take no for an answer. Just at all times be polite, best to take a Thai friend GF with you, it shows that your playing the game.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Main hurdle currently might be getting an appointment (big backlog from Covid closure for months).

Some posters reported queues up to December.

The bureaucratic hurdle of proof of residence depends on your situation and offices vary with what they accept.

That may depend on where you live. I did my renewal a couple of weeks ago at Chonburi and did it the day I asked for an appointment, but my Thai niece has had to wait until December. It would appear they are processing foreigners as quick as they can.

As you say for residence, they used to accept yellow book but this time I was made to go to immigration, maybe the staff have come from Pattaya.

I converted my UK driving licence for a car into Thai driving licences for car and motorbike at the Pattaya DLT office two months ago. Your UK drivers licence allows you to drive a motorbike up to 125cc. The Thais will give you a motorbike licence on the basis of your UK car licence which I think now only covers you for bikes up to 400cc, but it doesn't say anything to that effect on the licence. I had to do the eyesight and reaction tests and sit through a one-hour video, but there was no theory or practical exam. I had to book the appointment around six weeks in advance, but I was one of the first to apply when the DLT offices reopened for farang applications, hence there were many people wanting to apply for or renew their licences. The waiting time for an appointment is much less now, and on the day my appointment was at 10:00 and I was out with the two new licences shortly after midday. They're more organised and user-friendly than I'd expected, the group of around a dozen people with appointments at 10:00 that I was in were all foreigners so it was all done in English, no language problems at all.

For the last 14 years I've been driving on my UK licence with a valid IDP from the UK. I know that strictly you're not supposed to, but neither the police nor the insurance companies mind so I never bothered about converting my UK licence. Now, of course, I can't return to the UK to get a new IDP, so I had no choice. If I'd known it was this easy and painless, I'd have done it 14 years ago, doh!

This is currently the situation in the Pattaya DLT office, anyway, other places may not be as farang-friendly. I used an agent as I'd never done this before and had read horror stories about the place, but it was a waste of money, in two years when I apply for a 5-year licence I'll do it myself.

• Like 1

@Guderian well done, you are a living proof of what I said, UK car driving license - perhaps specially old ones, allow you to ride scooters and low cc bikes. That's why post office workers stamp the bike section on IDP... So it can be transfered to both Thai licenses here. Just need the right office and the right day of the week (aka luck) ...! 

No need for agent, it's very straightforward to do it on your own...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, james12345thailand said:

Okay understand, here it says suspended until further notice https://www.dlt.go.th/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

I guess the fact that its impossible to get a license won't stop the BiB handing out fines! Ive ridden in the provinces for years without license but recently moved to Bangkok and things seem to be a lot stricter and grown tired of dodging fines etc. Just want no hassle. 

Any suggestions what to do? Want to be legit but they dont make it easy! 

Why is it impossible to get a licence for a bike? Delays because of a pandemic is something no one can anticipate. Foreigners apply for them all the time. There are agencies helping with paperwork and even take groups to the local DLT. 

Here's one link with useful info:

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/thai-driving-license/

Edited by Max69xl

I got a Thai car and motorbike license from my UK B license without any problems. Category A with code 79(3) was on my UK license(should be on yours too). Code means you can only drive tricycles. Luckily at the transport office they haven't got a clue about UK codes. Just tell them you want a motorbike license too and insist that you have a full one on your UK license. Shouldn't be any issue. No exams required only a few physical tests.

• Like 1

At DLT Area 3 (Sukhumvit Rd (eq 99/1) in Bangkok. 

I converted a UK Car Driving Licence into a Thai Motorcycle Licence (2 yrs Temp) - No issues, the process was exactly the same as converting a UK Car Driving Licence to a Thai Car Driving Licence. 

I only had to watch do the vision, reaction and proximity tests (the ones in the room) and watch the video. 

My UK Car Driving Licence allows me to ride AM and A79(3) Class Motorcycles: 

AM = Max speed 28.5kmh (basically pedal scooters !)

A 79(3) = Trikes and Quads

I guess the folks at the DLT saw the ‘outline of a motorcycle’ on the Driving licence and simply continued to process the motorcycle licence. 

------

It seems that mileage will definitely vary and it all depends on which day you go, who you looks at your UK licence to see if you have to do a full test or simply transfer your car licence into a motorcycle licence. 

------

Regarding procedures - these also vary from DLT to DLT. Some guys are reporting that they have to wait 2 months for an appointment, others are simple rocking up and getting what they need. 

The only thing you can do Op - is turn up and try it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
4 hours ago, Wavel said:

You cannot convert your UK to Thai.

Total BS. You absolutely can. Having an IDP may be required.

No IDP required at DLT Area 3 in Bangkok.

Obtaining a Thai Car and Motorcycle Licence from a UK licence is a very simple process. 

• Like 1

So back to the OP;

The answer to your question is to be fully 'Legit' your valid UK car licence can be converted over to a Thai car licence (retain your old UK licence) 

If you want a motorcycle licence then book from scratch, thats the only way to be legit in your instance (you will hear all sorts here in LOS as you know) Its not that big a deal or messing about, find your local DLT office and go have a look and ask them is pretty easy, make sure you have all the documentation you need which you can find on here with search bar (lots of posts on subject of gaining/renewing licence) Enjoy and Be Safe!

Note:

A UK car driver may ride a motorcylce only AFTER passing a CBT (Compulsary Basic Training) and MUST display L-Plates (so those who say you can ride on a UK licence are not exactly correct, you need to pass the CBT first... If your not qualified to ride a motorcycle then you should not be riding one - Period, Legit speaking...?

Taken from UK RAC website:

If you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001 you can legally ride a moped (up to 50cc) with no L plates, without taking a CBT course or the full moped test.

In this instance you will, however, need to take a CBT if you want to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.

Anyone who passed their driving test after 1 February 2001 will have to complete their CBT before being able to legally ride a moped or motorbike.