New condo buyers offered visa and Elite Card but stranded expats are left out in the cold

webfact

Needs to be a new condo?  Sold by certain developers with connections?  Or can it be bought from another falang?  Greed pure and simple.  But who would buy now when condo prices  are surely dropping like a hot knife in butter?   

Monkey man: cone but a condo  and get a visa. 

Ralph: but look at all the condo owners with Visas who are not allowed  back in.  Can i buy their condo and get a visa?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's beyond brutal, but to be honest, without permanent status any country can really do this.

I would never, ever, ever buy anything in Thailand from this point forward.  We are not their friends, we are a dollar sign and nothing more.  Smiles are all fake.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Who buys property to live in, in a country where they have no right to reside?  ????

Lots of us do ,i live here in a house that is on mortgage in my son and wifes names ,i will die here and they will live in it or sell it or whatever, this is my home ,i know i have few rights ,but my family are Thai and everything here will be and is theirs ,

ps no my wife is not going to kick me out ,i have never even thought a thought like that.

pps my son would not allow it????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Who buys property to live in, in a country where they have no right to reside?  ????

I have a friend with a ฿750k shoebox for condo and he's here just now and then. Should he have a free pass because he owns a tiny condo? Just because you have a condo here doesn't by default mean you are a big spender. 

34 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I have a friend with a ฿750k shoebox for condo and he's here just now and then. Should he have a free pass because he owns a tiny condo? Just because you have a condo here doesn't by default mean you are a big spender. 

I think owning property should entitle you to some sort of visa, possibly long term, allowing you to utilise that property as intended when you purchased it.

However, that is under normal circumstances and these are far from normal circumstances.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Expecting a sensible and coordinated approach on anything from the Thai authorities is a waste of time. Foreigners to their mind are simply not important. The fact that we add so much to the economy is a point they can't get their heads round and long term, this is going to bite them in the you know where.

Correct it is really simple but I guess it is just too simple for them?  You got two consecutive Retirement Extension stamp in your passport you are in?  ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Pretty clear that they don't want foreigners coming in at the moment and that is both justifiable and understandable given current circumstances and public opinion.

When will these people learn that they are only temporary visitors for purposes other than tourism and plan accordingly? 

I think it is obvious that a lot of people are more willing to be touristic or otherwise willing to come to the Kingdom. Only are the people made very clear, they must be afraid for "Farang" but that is uther  on sense, the Covid test is good in countries from them. And they have the use of masks and sanitation. So i think you make an effort to frighten yourselves while yoy should get the economics straight again. This will be not easy for many don't go through the hoop of all different measures and money demands. I ask you, can the economy flourish without the tourist and retirees? 

Not mentioned those with investments and wife or friends here? Make your mind up and go for the neccesary income of tourism etc. 

7 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

"It sucks to be on the outside looking in"  That's a homeless hungry person looking in a restaurant window.  I am guessing here but now the folks in Britain who want to come back have the same feeling....just not necessarily hungry! ????  

"homestuck horny person"

FTFY

• Like 1

Have any of the stranded visa holders in the UK or elsewhere tried to return to Bangkok via Ethiopia? I had read that the regular flights on Ethiopia Airlines are half full, and it is not difficult to obtain approval from the Thai Consulate in Addis Ababa to return to Thailand. Those in the UK or elsewhere may have to quarantine in Ethiopia, but at least they will be back in Thailand within 30 days. 

Pretty clear that they don't want foreigners coming in at the moment and that is both justifiable and understandable given current circumstances and public opinion.

When will these people learn that they are only temporary visitors for purposes other than tourism and plan accordingly? 

By planning you actually mean planning to be surprised, usually in a bad way. Investing in a life here is a gamble. That is abundantly clear at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bim Smith said:

Wait for the prices to crash. It won't be long however you would have to be insane to invest anything in this (or any) country when they can close borders at the drop of a hat. There will be worse pandemics to come. 

Agreed, but what countries can't or won't close their borders on a whim? Where does that leave us? 

In other words where they don't have a passport or citizenship? That pretty much leaves only their home country, meaning that the term 'expatriot' is antiquated. 

You pays your money and you takes your chances. 

7 hours ago, khunpa said:

Rule no. 1: Only invest in what you can feel comfortable to lose and walk away from.

That goes for love-/family life, condo purchases, business setups... basically EVERYTHING here.

If you can't do that, then expect to end up disappointed. If not from Covid, then for sure one day, when you get old, sick and run out of money. 

Bleak outlook, but has some truth. 

I can hardly wait to hear Rule #2. 

3 hours ago, davidmann said:

about. time somone said what the problem is where did it start. ,all the world is suffering   , Health/Death/Economy ,WHY.  all due to the Chinese eating wild animals.  People dont  earn enough buy normal food like the rest of the world. 

But, but, but..... to the Chinese EVERYTHING is 'normal' food. ????

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Many countries have permanent residency, you don't necessarily have to be a citizen. 

Buying a property of significant value when you are on a temporary visa seems like total folly to me.

It's almost like you are asking to be done over.

Note that many of those 'many ' countries require significant investments in time and/or money for such residency. 

Look, many countries are grappling with the same problems now, Thailand is hardly rogue. Seeking any safe long-term residency in any country is now a fool's errand. 

New condo buyers offered visa and Elite Card but stranded expats are left out in the cold.

This is only a  Dangeling Carrot  to get some Rich Newbies and Relieve them of their Money.

They don't worry about the people that have already spend theirs buying  up.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Many were obliged to leave Thailand at the start of the pandemic due to bereavements and health issues. They didn't want to go but had to.

Hardly...dead people are dead-nothing they could do for them; and Thailand has generally very good healthcare.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Many countries have permanent residency, you don't necessarily have to be a citizen. 

The clue was in my previous post, "right to reside".

Buying a property of significant value when you are on a temporary visa seems like total folly to me, certainly in a country like Thailand.

It's almost like you are asking to be done over.

Spot on @Mr Meeseeks

I was going to comment on your previous post but you've sort of said it for me.

I decided, back in the early nineties when the "buying through a company" method went under the microscope that even owning a condo in such a country was foolhardy. That was countered by the "30 year renewable leases" scheme which is so full of holes as to be risible.

Every development since has reinforced my opinion. 

Thing is, some of the "old-timers" on TVF have used these schemes, some successfully too.....so far.

To me, buying but not really owning one's own home is cause for sleepless nights.

Edited by VBF
Spelling
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Hardly...dead people are dead...nothing they could do for them; and Thailand has generally very good healthcare.

Agree....a good friend of mine lives in Jomtien and his 95 year old mother with whom he was close, died in May in UK.

For obvious reasons, he did not travel to the funeral - at that time he should have isolated in UK for 14 days and then he could never have got back into Thailand.

But....despite the fact that he would have liked to have attended, funerals are not for the dead - they're for the survivors.

• Like 1

Just a question really , I’m ok as I’m currently on an o-A extension 7th year , no plans to leave Thailand any time soon , especially as I won’t be allowed back in .. I have 3.7million baht in two Thai bank accounts .. if you are stuck in another country and have money banked in Thailand is it possible to transfer it out to your , ( say for example in this case UK account , from the UK ? ) 

I enquired that question yesterday in my local Bangkok bank , and was told you can only close your account or transfer money from within Thailand ....  I’d imagine there’s a few frustrated people out there that can’t get back in yet ?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VBF said:

Agree....a good friend of mine lives in Jomtien and his 95 year old mother with whom he was close, died in May in UK.

For obvious reasons, he did not travel to the funeral - at that time he should have isolated in UK for 14 days and then he could never have got back into Thailand.

But....despite the fact that he would have liked to have attended, funerals are not for the dead - they're for the survivors.

Yes I can understand, my mum is 90 and in poor health .. I’ve told my sister if the worse happens I won’t be able to come home under the circumstances... she’s not happy but what can I do . 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

This person has made their life around Thailand for more than three decades but was recently told by the TAT in London that the prevalence of the virus in the UK made any applications to come back from there pointless. 

Why not apply for an O-A visa? This allows people to travel from the UK as clearly set out on the London Embassy website. TAT quote is a red herring as it obviously refers to the STV scheme