Wake up stiff every morning?

Surelynot

I train everyday...... run 2 miles, 300 rep's on weights, swim for 40 mins, play squash and badminton once a week. I have a healthy diet, BMI 22, but.......every morning is a real battle to get mobile.

Just getting up out of bed is a struggle. Joints ache, muscles ache.

Once I'm up and about I'm fine.....no problem 

Looking for suggestions as to any remedies........other than not exercising.

First Take some blood tests, and see if there is something there that can guide you. 

Weather related? I have the same when it gets wet and cold, to hot, and just humid. Moving is good, but not to much if you same time feel stress and produce stress hormon cortisol, food allergy? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You didn't specify your age.

As you get older, you ache more, it's a slippery slope down and the only cure is death.

Cannabis (for medicinal purposes only) may give some relief.

Failing that a couple of paracetamol or aspirin when you get up.

Thanks for that...might try (65 years old)

• Like 1

Just now, Tagged said:

First Take some blood tests, and see if there is something there that can guide you. 

Weather related? I have the same when it gets wet and cold, to hot, and just humid. Moving is good, but not to much if you same time feel stress and produce stress hormon cortisol, food allergy? 

Didn't think of blood tests...mmmmm

Two things, increase intake of Turmeric (how ever do NOT increase if you are any blood thinners and inform your GP)and does your bed/mattress need to be reviewed for support.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm also 65 and in the same position as you.

I doubt there's any fix for our age, other than to reduce the exercise or change the exercise.

Running and hiking does me far more damage than cycling or swimming.

Gave up the running 2 years back, now thinking I might have to give up the hiking.

Was thinking of dumping the running and upping the swimming......I might give that ago for a few weeks......hate to give up the squash and badminton though.

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Was thinking of dumping the running and upping the swimming......I might give that ago for a few weeks......hate to give up the squash and badminton though.

Yeah, I think our joints just can't take the stress from impacts any more.

But at some point we have to accept our bodies are failing us and adjust our expectations.

Just off for a quick 10Km on the bicycle.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Add massage 3 days a week to your schedule. If not, use a foam roller to "press out" muscles like calves/hamstrings/quads every day.  It will be painful at first, but after you're habituated it will be fine and you should have less stiffness....which is caused by build-up of waste products in your blood that gets lodged in your deeper muscle tissue. Massage is the best way to vacate it so it can circulate and get "cleaned" by your body.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Train every day? Have you thought that you might be overdoing it? Your body needs time to rest and repair itself. Even more as we get older.

I'm three years younger than you and do an hour of muay thai five times a week, taking weekends off. Even with that, every few weeks I need to take an extra days rest as the fatigue builds up.

Another thought. Have you tried stretching or massage? I also agrre about getting a comfortable mattress to ensure a good night's rest.

I might be fooling myself as I find the training quite easy now ......after 6 months of the same regime I hardly break a sweat......it's just that first 20 mins on a morning getting up and having to 'free everything up'.

Part of ageing, get used to it. You can find warmup exercises and stretching exercises all over Youtube, I do 20 minutes first thing every morning.

If you are drinking alcohol the evening before, it's a diuretic. Glass of water before bed, glass of water in the morning.

As another poster has said, blood tests to confirm there is not something more serious in play. You can't deal with it if you don't know about it.

You may want to try an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to break the cycle, but not a good idea to stay on it long-term.

For a 65 yo, your exercise regime is pretty drastic. Perhaps tapering down somewhat may help.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

Add massage 3 days a week to your schedule. If not, use a foam roller to "press out" muscles like calves/hamstrings/quads every day.  It will be painful at first, but after you're habituated it will be fine and you should have less stiffness....which is caused by build-up of waste products in your blood that gets lodged in your deeper muscle tissue. Massage is the best way to vacate it so it can circulate and get "cleaned" by your body.

That sounds interesting .....will definitely give that a go.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Part of ageing, get used to it. You can find warmup exercises and stretching exercises all over Youtube, I do 20 minutes first thing every morning.

If you are drinking alcohol the evening before, it's a diuretic. Glass of water before bed, glass of water in the morning.

As another poster has said, blood tests to confirm there is not something more serious in play. You can't deal with it if you don't know about it.

You may want to try an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to break the cycle, but not a good idea to stay on it long-term.

Mmmm....yes....never been a warm up fan......at school you just got hit with a size 12 slipper and told to move it.......again something I will definitely try to get into (the warm up, not the size 12 slipper)...cheers

Edited by Surelynot

OP,you have to learn to accept your body is getting older and it takes much longer to

recuperate .

Just stop doing one thing per day for a few days and see how you feel.

You can probably outrun or outplay some  younger people but the next day they will feel fine and you will feel broken.

Accept you are getting older and adjust just life accordingly.

You could try some herbs and stuff but i think they will not fix the problem.

• Thanks 1