Wake up stiff every morning?

Surelynot

20 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Was thinking of dumping the running and upping the swimming......I might give that ago for a few weeks......hate to give up the squash and badminton though.

Running, and particularly squash are hard on the joints/muscles.

I also train, cardio on the treadmill and notice even after stretching and warm up and stretching after and allowing time to cool down, I am soar the next day, particularly the back area, that said I do some weight training, nothing over the top, bench press 60kg easy enough, 10kg dumbbells etc etc, and find that if I go above those weights I get pain around everywhere so keep it within my means.

As we age, I am 60 we need to keep up the protein to keep the muscles from depleting, so a protein powder shake everyday will help maintain muscle as does some light weight training, as for cardio, you only really need 20 minutes a day, even less if you do HIIT.

If you are on any meds that might be a problem as some meds do cause muscles stiffness, cramps and other side effects related to how the body functions.

How and what you sit in also can contribute to you being sore, e.g. if I sit in my chair when on my laptop for long periods of time, and it's a top of the range chair for comfort, I will get sore muscles, as the blood needs to flow, so get up every half an hour or so and walk or stretch the muscles.

I have a good quality latex mattress and top cover (additional thinner layer of latex), but wake up sore, changed pillow a couple of times, still not quite right, neck still can be a little sore, so recommend you looking into any chair you might sit in for long periods of time, change your mattress or flip it and turn it around head to toe, toe to head more frequently and see if that makes a difference.

If you haven't got a good quality pair of sports shoes, spend big and change every 6 months, as you need really good support for what you do.

Last of all, get massages at least once a week, if you look around you could find some young filly that will know how to get rid of the stiffness, after the massage of course, works wonders for me ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Running, and particularly squash are hard on the joints/muscles.

I also train, cardio on the treadmill and notice even after stretching and warm up and stretching after and allowing time to cool down, I am soar the next day, particularly the back area, that said I do some weight training, nothing over the top, bench press 60kg easy enough, 10kg dumbbells etc etc, and find that if I go above those weights I get pain around everywhere so keep it within my means.

As we age, I am 60 we need to keep up the protein to keep the muscles from depleting, so a protein powder shake everyday will help maintain muscle as does some light weight training, as for cardio, you only really need 20 minutes a day, even less if you do HIIT.

If you are on any meds that might be a problem as some meds do cause muscles stiffness, cramps and other side effects related to how the body functions.

How and what you sit in also can contribute to you being sore, e.g. if I sit in my chair when on my laptop for long periods of time, and it's a top of the range chair for comfort, I will get sore and become sore.

I have a good quality latex mattress and top cover (additional thinner layer of latex), but wake up sore, changed pillow a couple of times, still not quite right, neck still can be a little sore, so recommend you looking into any chair you might sit in for long periods of time, change your mattress or flip it and turn it around head to toe, toe to head more frequently and see if that makes a difference.

If you haven't got a good quality pair of sports shoes, spend big and change every 6 months, as you need really good support for what you do.

Last of all, get massages at least once a week, if you look around you could find some young filly that will know how to get ride the stiffness, works wonders for me.

I wonder about the protein bit.....I have quite a restricted diet at the moment as I am also trying to lose weight. I've lost about 12kg in 6 months and aim to lose another 8kg, taking me from 90kg to 70kg.....lack of protein in my diet is certainly worth looking at....cheers.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm also 65 and in the same position as you.

I doubt there's any fix for our age, other than to reduce the exercise or change the exercise.

Running and hiking does me far more damage than cycling or swimming.

Gave up the running 2 years back, now thinking I might have to give up the hiking.

I am in my late 70's and I don't have the morning stiffness problem. I do 11/2 hour workout every morning (from about 05:15) but in the martial art method. However, i don't jog or run. It does depend a lot on ones makeup etc., we are all different, so getting to know your own limits is important. Running does put pressure on the knees, hips and lower back and one thing that is important...'warm up' at least for 10 mins. Include a little stretching, legs particularly, bending forward and to the side to loosen the lower back muscles. Move the hips around in a circle, L & R, to loosen your hip joints. Don't put any stress in the warm up and gradually mobility will improve. Shoulders have a lot to do with balance as you run (legs and arms in sync) so do a little circular movement here too. After running you need to 'warm down' too, perhaps the same exercises as 'warm up'. Running and cycling are so called 'one dimensional' basically, with legs and arms moving in one direction and the trunk in more or less the same position throughout so one needs to compensate for that. Ageing is the one opponent you can't beat, but you can slow it down. Changes in the blood, bones, muscles etc. is a part of life and one has to adapt. It is also worthwhile investing in a couple books/videos on athletic ability and motion to learn about muscles and joints and the mechanics.

Nothing I've written here is special and can be found as standard in clubs and the media. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Ageing is the one opponent you can't beat, but you can slow it down.

Subconsciously...maybe I am trying to beat it.....and as you say, you can't.......still want to be 18 and burn the candle at both ends.

At 65 I am thinking 10 good years left......go for it.

I was going to say check out your diet for your age and the amount of exercise you are doing, I am 70 now reasonably fit and healthy with no aches or pains, mostly we eat at home I like to make big bowls of soup could be anything Im not a vegetarian but do have a few meals every week non meat, like the other day I made noodle soup with spinach added some garam masala proper Indian brand and add a tablespoon full of olive oil, almost everyday I add olive oil to my food Im sure it works.

I dont eat beef get plenty of liquid down you, make your own drinks I have one in the fridge now Fresh lemon (yellow ones) cucumber and celery 3ltr water bottle leave for a couple of days then drink it, cheap as chips to make

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I wonder about the protein bit.....I have quite a restricted diet at the moment as I am also trying to lose weight. I've lost about 12kg in 6 months and aim to lose another 8kg, taking me from 90kg to 70kg.....lack of protein in my diet is certainly worth looking at....cheers.

Try dengue fever works wonders 

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Well done, I also lost 15kg due to cardio in the beginning when I started two years ago, the first 10kg was in 4 months, the balance a further 2 months down the track.

I was 90.5kg and dropped to 75.5kg although have put weight back on now as I have built muscle doing weight training, so am 83kg at the moment and am comfortable with how I look and feel as opposed to having tits and a beer belly previously, although no 6 pack in site, not even trying....lol

Protein is very important part, eggs are a good source and are loaded with nutrients that are essential for you. I get them free range from a mate who's wife sells them, but the protein powder is a great source, I have done extensive research on how we lose muscle as we age so make sure I take enough protein to maintain the muscles and do some light weight training everyday.

70kg might be a little light depending on your height, I am 183cm so bulking up a little suites how I look, no Schwarzenegger here, not even trying, but maintaining the muscles helps define how we look, e.g. thin or good and in my opinion personally, I like thin, but I like the muscle look even better and everyone keeps saying to my wife how much better I look compared to how I was, and don't look my age, 45 tops, naturally this strokes my ego for all the hard work I put into getting here ???? 

I find Dr Berg to be a good source for learning about what we should eat and what it does, although I don't do intermittent fasting, but follow a strict diet of clean food mostly ????

Keep it up 

• Like 1

I am 74 yrs old, I used to run regularly, raced 20k's, etc until I was 65 at which time I was running 7/8 min per mile for 5 miles daily upon waking.  At 65 I decided that in the future I might have joint problems since I was running on cement and asphalt so I switched to walking rapidly which I do every day unless there is thunder/lightning.  Currently I do no less than 10k every morning approx 1 hour 50 min so am not doing it so speedily but enough to get the heart rate up over a 105.  I lift weights - used to go for heavier but saw studies that said equal strength and muscle development can be done using lighter weights doing sets where each set is until muscle fatigue.  I also do 45-65 minutes of core exercises almost every day.  BUT according to all that I have read, just plain stretching will alleviate almost all pains daily and I do stretching each morning prior to walking (between 3-6 AM).  I was having cramps at night occasionally and read that it is usually caused by dehydration and the fix for that was to drink a glass of water just before sleeping - haven't experienced cramps again since starting this practice and I don't have to get up during the night to take urinate.   I also walk in the evenings for 3-6 km. if the weather is not too hot (below 36).  I always have energy and can do just about everything I could do 30 years ago.  I have exercised regularly since high school.  Did a couple of marathons but quickly learned my body didn't respond well to those so stuck to 20k and below.  As for weight lifting, I also saw studies that any more than twice a week  wasn't that beneficial so opted for lift followed by 2 days of rest then lift again.  Have never had an injury lifting either and recently, even though 74 definition of muscles greatly increase, waist size dropped several inches but lost no weight so guess the body likes the current regimen.  Good luck to you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Well done, I also lost 15kg due to cardio in the beginning when I started two years ago, the first 10kg was in 4 months, the balance a further 2 months down the track.

I was 90.5kg and dropped to 75.5kg although have put weight back on now as I have built muscle doing weight training, so am 83kg at the moment and am comfortable with how I look and feel as opposed to having tits and a beer belly previously, although no 6 pack in site, not even trying....lol

Protein is very important part, eggs are a good source and are loaded with nutrients that are essential for you. I get them free range from a mate who's wife sells them, but the protein powder is a great source, I have done extensive research on how we lose muscle as we age so make sure I take enough protein to maintain the muscles and do some light weight training everyday.

70kg might be a little light depending on your height, I am 183cm so bulking up a little suites how I look, no Schwarzenegger here, not even trying, but maintaining the muscles helps define how we look, e.g. thin or good and in my opinion personally, I like thin, but I like the muscle look even better and everyone keeps saying to my wife how much better I look compared to how I was, and don't look my age, 45 tops, naturally this strokes my ego for all the hard work I put into getting here ???? 

I find Dr Berg to be a good source for learning about what we should eat and what it does, although I don't do intermittent fasting, but follow a strict diet of clean food mostly ????

Keep it up 

We sound similar in terms of height, weight and desire to get fit (I hate the man boobs). Weight seems to be stabilizing now or the rate of weight loss is slowing, but as you mention I think (hope) this is due to swapping out fat for muscle. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I am 74 yrs old, I used to run regularly, raced 20k's, etc until I was 65 at which time I was running 7/8 min per mile for 5 miles daily upon waking.  At 65 I decided that in the future I might have joint problems since I was running on cement and asphalt so I switched to walking rapidly which I do every day unless there is thunder/lightning.  Currently I do no less than 10k every morning approx 1 hour 50 min so am not doing it so speedily but enough to get the heart rate up over a 105.  I lift weights - used to go for heavier but saw studies that said equal strength and muscle development can be done using lighter weights doing sets where each set is until muscle fatigue.  I also do 45-65 minutes of core exercises almost every day.  BUT according to all that I have read, just plain stretching will alleviate almost all pains daily and I do stretching each morning prior to walking (between 3-6 AM).  I was having cramps at night occasionally and read that it is usually caused by dehydration and the fix for that was to drink a glass of water just before sleeping - haven't experienced cramps again since starting this practice and I don't have to get up during the night to take urinate.   I also walk in the evenings for 3-6 km. if the weather is not too hot (below 36).  I always have energy and can do just about everything I could do 30 years ago.  I have exercised regularly since high school.  Did a couple of marathons but quickly learned my body didn't respond well to those so stuck to 20k and below.  As for weight lifting, I also saw studies that any more than twice a week  wasn't that beneficial so opted for lift followed by 2 days of rest then lift again.  Have never had an injury lifting either and recently, even though 74 definition of muscles greatly increase, waist size dropped several inches but lost no weight so guess the body likes the current regimen.  Good luck to you!

Wow.....if I get to 74 and I am anything like as fit as you I'll be cock-a-hoop. 

I have the same problem (not the excessive workout). A firmer mattress (which I used to not like) seems to be the answer. Hotel put a board under my pillow top (it unzips) and it helps a lot. You don't need a board but a higher quality, firmer mattress with a great pillow top (more than 2 inches) should help a lot. P.S. I am older than you and a former athlete, and golfer.

2 minutes ago, hongthai said:

I have the same problem (not the excessive workout). A firmer mattress (which I used to not like) seems to be the answer. Hotel put a board under my pillow top (it unzips) and it helps a lot. You don't need a board but a higher quality, firmer mattress with a great pillow top (more than 2 inches) should help a lot. P.S. I am older than you and a former athlete, and golfer.

We have moved into a condo, fully furnished. The bed seems okay, but I do like the idea of a board to stiffen it up as I am too mean to buy a new bed or mattress.

Surelynot. Im 65 years old, slim, and have been weight training since I was 18. Im fit but no means a muscle man. I also get the stiffness and aches. As other people said, its mostly from aging. But you say you train everyday and you do 300 reps with weights? That seems to be a very high number of reps with weights. Would you mind telling me the amount of sets you do? And how many muscle groups you do each time? Im curious about your weight training routine. And one of my doctors suggested recently to take CoQ10 supplement. I take 200 mg per day. The stuff is expensive. But I notice less aches and tightness.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

We sound similar in terms of height, weight and desire to get fit (I hate the man boobs). Weight seems to be stabilizing now or the rate of weight loss is slowing, but as you mention I think (hope) this is due to swapping out fat for muscle. 

Yes, the body will stop the weight loss when you have reached a certain level, for me it was 15kg, so then it was time to bulk up, or turn the skinny into muscle otherwise it wasn't a healthy look, e.g. straight up and down, no I have a firm chest, biceps, triceps and shoulder muscle, it's a better look, but you have to work it.

Suggest you start some weight training, bench press for the man boobs for a start as the fat needs to turn into muscle, and the only way to do that is to work it, that or time for a bra ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Surelynot. Im 65 years old, slim, and have been weight training since I was 18. Im fit but no means a muscle man. I also get the stiffness and aches. As other people said, its mostly from aging. But you say you train everyday and you do 300 reps with weights? That seems to be a very high number of reps with weights. Would you mind telling me the amount of sets you do? And how many muscle groups you do each time? Im curious about your weight training routine. And one of my doctors suggested recently to take CoQ10 supplement. I take 200 mg per day. The stuff is expensive. But I notice less aches and tightness.

Here goes.....I do 8, 10, 12, with a short rest between each. After one full cycle listed below I then repeat all of these again.......

Sit-ups, 20kg across upper chest

Upper chest and arms 36kg (on m/c)

Leg muscles...mainly thigh muscles 54kg (on m/c)

Low rowing 36kg (on m/c)

Flutter kicks, do 120 of these now in batches of 20 (on bench)

Not sure what the equipment is called.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm also 65 and in the same position as you.

I doubt there's any fix for our age, other than to reduce the exercise or change the exercise.

Running and hiking does me far more damage than cycling or swimming.

Gave up the running 2 years back, now thinking I might have to give up the hiking.

Fast walking (7.7 km 1 hour) and swimming (1 km 35 minutes) along with light weight training (15 minutes) and long shower seem to be doing the trick for me. I must admit that I ache more when I walk outdoor and indoor is the best for the joints but I do prefer the streets, so much less boring. Regarding cycling I do not like it but I deem it dangerous for the knee joints 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Have started resting the beer now.....one it costs a fortune (when accompanied by a lady drink) two I find I drink small bottles much faster than the equivalent amounts in a pint glass.

Then why not pour two small bottles into a pint glass, and kick the lady drink into touch.