Medical Insurance Overseas

In the UK emergancy medical treatment is free for visitor - so don't insure for that!

Really ? That's good to know. But a family visit visa is subject to "no recourse to public funds" - so surely that would include emergency treatment ?

As I found out last year when my mrs was with me in UK, as long as it is an emergency and NOT treatment for a previous ongoing ailment then you wont be charged, only for any medicine prescribed, on the other hand, eg, if your wife needs medication for diabetes, then she should take her medical {or copy} card with her,

Hope this helps, and insurance isnt a bad thing, but it only pays out months later!! Good Luck with your travels,,

Thanks for the info.

So in other words, casualty/A&E treatment is free (except for prescribed medicines) but going to a GP or anything that requires an appointment would not be ? In fact going to GP would be impossible since they wouldn't register her, so a private consulation would be the only option in such a case ?

Sonic, if you are registered with a gp in the uk, no problem, or you have family there. When Mrs got something in her eye, i made an emergency appointment for myself, just had to wait till end of normal surgery appointments and saw the 1st available doc, told him it wasnt me but mrs with problem, his professinal ethics took over to help the suffering, i asked about paying for treatment, he went to the topman and he said no charge!just pay for the ointment, this happened 2 more times for different things with the same result, if you dont have a doc in uk, perhaps you know somebody/family member who does who could take you or your mrs? bear in mind that all sugeries perhaps have different rules? mine was a small village surgery, been going there for 40+ years.. Good Luck Lickey..