Built to last ?

On 11/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, Peterw42 said:

The life of any structure is dependant on regular ongoing maintenance and repairs. There are reinforced concrete buildings well over 100 years old nowadays, and concrete structures like the Pantheon in Rome thats 2,000 years old. For things like an earthquake, fire etc, in theory the block should be insured for rebuilding.

Its written into the Condominium Act, if the building is demolished and there are no plans to rebuild, the land get sold and you get a share equivalent to your share in the condo block.

I'm not doubting your information but  that's scant compensation assuming an owner ever receives it I'm afraid. Things like that can go on for years.

Count me out on condo purchases for quite a few more than one reason. They may be appropriate for some people but I'm not one of them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My condo is 1990s and is very well made so seems it depends. Walk around the condo and check everything. My house in Scotland is 150+ years old and solid as a rock 

Yea,but it ain't built by Thais.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, CorpusChristie said:

I have just seen a condo for sale  at a very reasonable price , did some investigation and found out the building was erected in 1980 .

What is the expected life of a condo building and what happens to the condo owners  when the building needs to be demolished because of age ?

Would they just knock the building down or compensate the condo owners ?

The building only "needs to be demolished" if the owners of the units decide as much. Similarly, there's no "they" to tear down the building - the ones deciding to go forward with the demolition are the owners themselves. As noted above, if the owners collectively decide that the building is no longer habitable and isn't worth rebuilding, the land will be sold, the proceeds distributed to the unit owners, and that will be the end of that.

• Like 1

In 2007 I helped my Thai business friend to purchase a condo for herself. My question to a good friend of mine, and in the construction industry about quality of the building, as THAT is my biggest fear: "Lumpini Construction Co: no worry."

However, after the first "funtok", the rainwater flowed in along the window frame. Was not properly sealed to the wall.

During  the Tom Yam Khung /Asian financial crises ( 1997) , I read  over 200 buildings towers in Bangkok would NOT be allowed in Netherlands seen the municipal Construction + Building Dept. regulations and rules.

Second: "maintenance" is NOT the top-priority in Thailand. "who lives tomorrow, cares tomorrow". That's why Thai prefer newly built.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The building only "needs to be demolished" if the owners of the units decide as much. Similarly, there's no "they" to tear down the building - the ones deciding to go forward with the demolition are the owners themselves. As noted above, if the owners collectively decide that the building is no longer habitable and isn't worth rebuilding, the land will be sold, the proceeds distributed to the unit owners, and that will be the end of that.

Who decides if a building is "no longer habitable"? The (local) government, the monks, the ? ? 

IMO some of the older condos are well built, some of the newer ones are a lottery. I think Riverside Condo in Chiang Mai is over 40 years old, solid as a rock.

OTOH, a few years ago I saw a five storey apartment block being built off Huay Kaew Road. One metre foundation depth, life would get interesting if an earthquake came along.

Look at the walls .

If they are not straight , the builder/developer / Thai management probably isnt as well.

Ask yourself , "If the next door condo is turned into a late night disco/bordello/party place , can I , as a falang , actually complain to the authorities  and have that situation changed ?

Then choose to invest your money where you know you  actually can , and just rent here in Thailand.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My condo is 1990s and is very well made so seems it depends. Walk around the condo and check everything. My house in Scotland is 150+ years old and solid as a rock 

The buildings in Thailand are not made of seaweed and peat moss. A real shame. : )

10 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Look at the walls .

If they are not straight , the builder/developer / Thai management probably isnt as well.

Ask yourself , "If the next door condo is turned into a late night disco/bordello/party place , can I , as a falang , actually complain to the authorities  and have that situation changed ?

Then choose to invest your money where you know you  actually can , and just rent here in Thailand.

Most condos blocks have noise laws, an office to complain to and security guys to respond to noise complaints. 

A well run condo block probably affords more options for complaint and resolution, than elsewhere.

The key  for long term  success of the building is to have at least 90 % foreign ownership /control.

The building may suffer roof leaks. The building may suffer damp -i.e. water entering via the brick work.The outside of the building needs a repaint every 10 years max.

These problems are easily fixed. Just needs money and well off co -owners. A good committee is essential..

Message -do not buy into a Thai run condo. Do not be attracted by low maintenance fees.

In fact just use your common sense.

Only the rich can afford to buy cheap!

Edited by Delight

20 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Surely you jest. 

Most Thai people have no concern or interest in what happens tomorrow much less next year. I doubt there is even a Thai word for 'foresight'. 

The idea that any party even remotely involved in the planning, construction, or maintenance of a condo considers longevity is just a bridge too far. This is simply not a cultural strength. 

Could this be the 'magic potion' that attracts so many foreigners to Thailand?

(Albeit them mostly being grumpy)

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

Could this be the 'magic potion' that attracts so many foreigners to Thailand?

(Albeit them mostly being grumpy)

good thought; maybe part of it. I have come to agree that westerners think too much about the future, but still believe that Thai think too little. That may be why they are happier though.

17 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

good thought; maybe part of it. I have come to agree that westerners think too much about the future, but still believe that Thai think too little. That may be why they are happier though.

That sounds like my Golden Retriever.....????

• Haha 1

I have just seen a condo for sale  at a very reasonable price , did some investigation and found out the building was erected in 1980 .

What is the expected life of a condo building and what happens to the condo owners  when the building needs to be demolished because of age ?

Actually they don't extend their Visas, kick them out and then knock it down. 555555555

I am new at English.

Erected, does this come from the verb "erection"?

• Haha 1