Living the life as an expat in Thailand

webfact

Living the life as an expat in Thailand

By Thai PBS

Sight-of-Thailand.jpg

For expats in Thailand, paradise can be full of pitfalls  

Life in Thailand is a daily adventure for most expats, an obstacle course of delicious but fiery cuisine, locals’ laidback mai pen rai (never mind) attitude, and a language that can easily have you saying something very rude, very unintentionally. 

In the words of one long-time expat: “They should tell young people when they get off the boat: Learn the language! The guidebooks usually say it’s a ‘good idea’. It isn’t. It should be seen as essential.”

Apart from lifting the communication barrier, fluency in the Thai language comes with other benefits too, such as long-lasting friendships, tight connections and a true understanding of the arai ko dai (anything goes) mindset at the heart of Thai culture.

In general, living is easy in Thailand, provided you learn to relax and forget about confrontations.

“The Thai approach is almost opposite to the American approach [to work, communication and problem-solving], so it can be a very mind-opening experience if one is aware and open to developing that awareness,” advises US-born Tamara Wyachai, principal of a leading Bangkok school’s international programme.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/living-the-life-as-an-expat-in-thailand/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Thai approach is almost opposite to the American approach [to work, communication and problem-solving], so it can be a very mind-opening experience if one is aware and open to developing that awareness

Personally, I aim for acceptance (which doesn't mean having to agree or like some of what goes on). In addition, adapting to the Thai approach can be tricky at times. It's also nice when Thais demonstrate some flexibility when dealing with me when I play "the wildcard" every so often through venting a bit. Learning to effectively and appropriately develop intercultural competence is a lifelong process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, J Town said:

I got the 7-year itch, so I pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico. I was back in 6 weeks with a newfound appreciation and haven't felt I made the wrong choice since. Is Thailand perfect? Damned near for me!

Jayzus!!   Mexico is a bridge too far when you've lived in Asia for any length of time. I once considered Mexico and some other Latin countries as retirement destinations, but price point aside, I don't think they would have been a good fit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J Town said:

I highly suggest you don't burn this bridge. The majority of expats who grew weary of Thailand's quirks then moved to the P.I. lamented that decision. Do a search on that very topic here on TV.

I have done all the research humanly possible. Just the elimination of the language barrier and the antagonistic attitude of Immigration, are reasons enough to depart for greener pastures. Thailand is obsessed with fouling its own nest and abusing the expats which provide jobs for a huge segment of the population. They can't really help themselves. They are convinced that they are Asia's "Master Race", and they will never change.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, J Town said:

I got the 7-year itch, so I pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico. I was back in 6 weeks with a newfound appreciation and haven't felt I made the wrong choice since. Is Thailand perfect? Damned near for me!

mexican ho's eh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, J Town said:

Left Mexico 10 years ago, after 10 years there for Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I am not really a people person so not having a good command of the language I see as a plus.  if I want something at the hardware store or the cooks supply shop or the auto parts shop I can take a pix.  They all seem to know how to say "No Hab" when they don't have it.

And quite often when the do have it but cant be bothered to look. 

• Like 2