"New and transparent" DUI checkpoint system will be subject to public scrutiny, says top cop "Big Manu"

webfact

DUI checkpoints is one thing . totally agree drink driving is stupid and dangerous . but what about the daytime checks mostly related to no helmets with a 500b fine and away you go . these i assume have all been stopped . 

5 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Apparently they do have an idea, and it is a good one! Its about time they started taking drunk drivers off the road.

If you disagree with that, then imagine having your child, wife or other close family member whiped out by some drunk idiot. After that I'm sure you will realise that this is a good thing... 

yeah it’s a good thing but what about the sober idiots as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hasitha77 said:

always keep your passport with you.!! even-though they unable suspect you with DUI they will find a way to approach to your pocket as long as you are not a thai citizen. NO COPIES.. ONLY ORIGINAL PASSPORT. or keep 1000 baht stand by. ????

I have never had to produce my passport nor keep a 1000 baht on "standby" in over 20 years here. Your dubious post lacks any mention of a recent, first hand experience. 

9 hours ago, hasitha77 said:

how are you gonna explain or prove this to a random police officer who can barely understand english? with my experience it is just give 1000 baht or go with them to police station which I believe no one would ever agree to do so. Police officer refused my driving license, soft-copy of my passport and workpermit. are there any legal statement which we can simply show them in case.

Carry your passport if you like .  1000B fine is a lot cheaper than losing your passport.  In over 30 years I have never had that problem with a Policeman.

I remember the days when in my home town they had random breath checks not every car was pulled over but the law used to go into the pub carpark and put luminous tape on the bumper of the vehicles ,thus ensuring a better chance of a hit.

• Haha 1

This is good news and a better policy. Nobody should be forced to carry their original passport with the daily.  It can easily become damaged and or lost.  I lived in Pattaya for several years and always carried a copy only and a Thai drivers license.  Because I had the license, I never needed to show or use my passport copy for anything.  It seems previous checkpoints were set-up as helmet, license check, passport shake downs (foreigner only) conducted by 2-3 cops towards the end of their pay period.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The plan is expected to heighten transparency and lessen corruption at checkpoints.

Of course it will, they wait till they get you back to the station, then politely explain it will cost you 30,000thb to go court or you can give me 10,000and no record. Now that's transparent and less corruption at checkpoints

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. I never carry my original passport. I utterly refuse to do that. Too valuable. Not required. Ever. Only when going to immigration, or leaving the country. I always keep a color copy in my wallet, and a photo of my visa. Never had an issue. Anywhere. A driver's license is always fine, and my pink card is available as an alternate ID. 

Wish Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank would apply these new rule,  just to get new passbook require Passport even when showing old passbook is full

I have  been very  much not a  fan of the RTP  in the past

However  I say give this new guy a go ....

It woulod be great for Thailand  road toll  if  it  would  work

But  as Thai  rarely  follow  directions  even police   

I feel  the chance  to obtain that  "tea  money"  will be  too great   ...RTP  wages are  pathetic   hard to blame them really  

In saying that  if corrupt  should not be ploice ( Why do they  look like Nazi,s  from world  war  11 ???.....those  hats  and  skin tight  uniforms  are truly  laughable !!!)

Hope  it works out  for Thai,s  sake.....too  many  drunk drivers  too many deaths  in Thailand  

Good  Luck  Thailand  

22 hours ago, webfact said:

"New and transparent" DUI checkpoint system will be subject to public scrutiny, says top cop "Big Manu"

Only in Thailand do they have to video themselves doing their jobs by the book so as to show no corruption taking place, I wonder how many "off-camera" fines will be taking place and "drive on sir"

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

yeah it’s a good thing but what about the sober idiots as well.

Not the point mate, its a good start though. I guess the way forward with the sober idiots would be the licensing? For one, during the driving test they should be taken out on public roads accompanied by an officer with a strict set of rules to follow like any other country. The test here is a joke and thats why there are so many sober idiots..

Before you reply, yes I know the officer would probably be corrupt and take bribes, so it doesnt matter, this is Thailand, they are all corrupt....... Heard it all before mate, regardless that would be the answer in a perfect world.

22 hours ago, hasitha77 said:

always keep your passport with you.!! even-though they unable suspect you with DUI they will find a way to approach to your pocket as long as you are not a thai citizen. NO COPIES.. ONLY ORIGINAL PASSPORT. or keep 1000 baht stand by. ????

BS, I have been through dozens of checkpoints from Chang Rai to Phuket and over to Pattaya. The only thing I was ever asked for was driving license and proof of insurance. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Benmart said:

I have never had to produce my passport nor keep a 1000 baht on "standby" in over 20 years here. Your dubious post lacks any mention of a recent, first hand experience. 

11 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Carry your passport if you like .  1000B fine is a lot cheaper than losing your passport.  In over 30 years I have never had that problem with a Policeman.

Ok lets say you were asked to produce the original passport at a checkpoint and what will you do?  Can you just explain them that you are living here whatever years and never had such a experience? pointless. they wont listen to you unless there is a legal statement mentioned that foreigners do not required to carry their original passport with them. If have such a legal statement please share. 
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/436133/passports-better-safe-than-sorry  I dont know whether this post is still valid or not. but according to the post "all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times by laws."

Just don't drive drunk, don't even think about it. Last February I picked up a friend at Don Muang Airport at 1:00 AM to take him to his hotel on Soi 11. I went through three checkpoints on the way to the hotel and another on my way home. I don't drive after drinking, but if I had been drinking, it would have been very costly in more ways than one. Btw, this was on a Monday, I can only imagine what Fridays and Saturdays are like.

1 hour ago, hasitha77 said:

Ok lets say you were asked to produce the original passport at a checkpoint and what will you do?  Can you just explain them that you are living here whatever years and never had such a experience? pointless. they wont listen to you unless there is a legal statement mentioned that foreigners do not required to carry their original passport with them. If have such a legal statement please share. 
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/436133/passports-better-safe-than-sorry  I dont know whether this post is still valid or not. but according to the post "all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times by laws."

You do as you wish and I will carry on the same and hopefully no one loses their passport as it is terribly inconvenient.  Especially when asked by a Policeman for it and you say I don't have one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

BS, I have been through dozens of checkpoints from Chang Rai to Phuket and over to Pattaya. The only thing I was ever asked for was driving license and proof of insurance. 

a persons d/l has passport number on it.....and ones address on the reverse

17 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

DUI checkpoints is one thing . totally agree drink driving is stupid and dangerous . but what about the daytime checks mostly related to no helmets with a 500b fine and away you go . these i assume have all been stopped . 

Why are you on about no helmets? I don't care whether people wear helmets or not, it is not going to harm me, but

DUI is a completely different matter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, a977 said:

Wish Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank would apply these new rule,  just to get new passbook require Passport even when showing old passbook is full

Yes, the banking is the same as immigration. They always require the original passport, except for money exchange. Usually a copy is fine for that. Or a Thai DL. Those are the only times my passport leaves my safe, unless I am leaving the country.