Amazing Thailand: Lottery winning monk goes into hiding as freeloaders descend on the temple!

webfact

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea but the Christian Church is exactly the same, should not be rich but look at the Vatican. Religion is a fraud no matter what religion.

I am not in anyway religous but I don't really have a problem with religion as such. I guess it must work for some. Its the institutions and people that pretend to represent each religion that is the biggest fraud.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea but the Christian Church is exactly the same, should not be rich but look at the Vatican. Religion is a fraud no matter what religion.

I feel sorry for all the little boys and it's pretty common knowledge that they wash more money than underwear. 

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He should be defrocked and turned back into a civilian.  He can then spend the money on Whores, Drugs, Alcohol and fancy cars, oh wait he already does enjoy that as a Buddhist monk here in Thailand, silly of me to think otherwise.

You do know there are rules they are supposed to live by, and breaking those rules could get you defrocked.  Winning the lottery isn't one of them. 

• Like 1

I think every monk I've ever known bought a lottery ticket at some time or another.  I think a lot of them are thinking if I win I can take care of my family and the temple.  And of course a bunch more are just thinking of taking care of themselves.  And of course, some of them are thinking, hey, I'm a monk, I should have a step up on the other people when it comes to luck.  But I never knew even one who won any money in the lottery.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Other monks said the abbot had spoken to him four times about all the furor and there had been a huge stream of freeloaders beating a path to his door wanting a slice of his fortune. 

A long time ago I went to see a monk in Doi Suthep .

You look worried , he said ... I have money problems , I answered ... he laughed .

I took me a while to understand his reaction .

By just laughing he taught me a lesson .

Money is the roots of many problems .

A monk does not need money , a good monk does not want money , as this drags him down to an inferior level .

Now I understand .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

I knew a monk at a forest temple who complained to me that people would come and ask for lottery numbers... he said - I am a monk, what do I know about lottery numbers...

another monk would tell people on the 25th the elephant stands on 3 legs... he liked to have fun.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I am not in anyway religous but I don't really have a problem with religion as such. I guess it must work for some. Its the institutions and people that pretend to represent each religion that is the biggest fraud.

if  u dont have  a  problem with it you must believe in anything, Hi today Im your  pilot, dont worry I read a  book which my god  told us I can fly  this  plane, its  all totally unsubstantiated  rubbish.

53 minutes ago, bodga said:

if  u dont have  a  problem with it you must believe in anything, Hi today Im your  pilot, dont worry I read a  book which my god  told us I can fly  this  plane, its  all totally unsubstantiated  rubbish.

I already said I don't believe and personally, I find it strange that anyone does, but I still don't have a problem with someone else thinking whatever they like. If they don't harm anyone else what's the problem?  

• Like 1

Some posts removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Why not become a monk and try?

????

You only have to pretend that you can speak Sanskrit. German, or Italian will do the trick.

Most monks do not know what they sing, or mumble at merits. . But it sounds so differently.

First word you have to learn is lies. = 

Meanings of Lie in Sanskrit

verb 

1. अस्

IPA: laɪ Sanskrit: लाइ / ली

For those who need a break from their wives, there's a temple for foreigners near Ubon.

They might be the only believers of Buddhism and have the knowledge that is needed. 

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
On 11/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, webfact said:

Other monks said the abbot had spoken to him four times about all the furor and there had been a huge stream of freeloaders beating a path to his door

including Thai Airways hoping to offload one of those old bangers they are trying to get rid of ..

That's not a nice way to describe the stewardesses. Mind you, some of those monks do have WHT (Wandering Hand Trouble).

• Haha 2