Dad stranded in Thai hospital after surviving fall from sixth floor balcony

rooster59

2 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

Of course nobody wants to see another person in this situation, and we all hope the story is true and we are not been taken for a ride here. I feel for him too, but why on earth go abroad without insurance? 

A very sad story. He had been living abroad for some time so not a tourist. Regular travel insurance would be very expensive. If an expat then medical insurance from one of the Thai based companies such as Pacific Cross would have cost as little as 18,000 Baht (£450 per year). One thing to bear in mind are exclusions on insurance. Most insurers will now excludes claims resulting from deliberate acts or intoxication whether by drink or drugs. 

Hope this guy gets the help he needs. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

So this guy flies around the world in Business class, but can not afford a medial insurance and now begs for help from other who do?

Solihull  is  also an expensive area  to  live in in the West  Midlands  unless he was from Chelmsley Wood  which is a council dump

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

We can't be sure he paid for the Business Class tickets, but it doesn't look good does it?

After doing some research it appears that the same text is used for several low-quality news sites.

Let's not also forget that some people to sensationalise or even make up stories for a variety of reasons. I am not accusing anyone of anything, but any strangers to put their hands in their pockets after reading what's available in my opinion have bigger hearts than brains. I would be happy to be proven wrong though, and I feel for this guy and his family.

True. This story is from "The Star" which is rather like "The Sun", more of a comic than a newspaper. Much of their content is either sensationalised or just untrue. Non-Brits might be unaware of this.

Hope this guy recovers OK BTW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Most insurers will now excludes claims resulting from deliberate acts or intoxication whether by drink or drugs. 

As well as claims suspected to result from suicide attempts. While we have no way of  knowing the article suggests mental health issues.

Just now, Sheryl said:

As well as claims resulting from suicide attempts.

Absolutely. That's what I meant from "deliberate acts" but none of the articles I saw said as much. Still terrible for him. If life was bad before, it's worse now. Maybe emotional help will be forthcoming now. 

Just now, Andrew65 said:

...and motorcycle accidents.

Actually many policies will cover moto accidents (in the case of travel insurance may need a special optional rider at extra cost) provided the person had a valid license and was not intoxicated etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually many policies will cover moto accidents (in the case of travel insurance may need a special optional rider at extra cost) provided the person had a valid license and was not intoxicated etc.

...had a valid license and was not intoxicated etc....and was wearing a crash helmet.

Not many then!????

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

I never ceases to amaze me why people do not buy the insurance they need in a foreign country. You can simply buy cover online these days.

It sounds like this guy has pre-existing conditions (diabetes). I have one old friend who was paying £8,000 per annum for health insurance in Thailand (pre-existing heart condition). Another old Scottish friend who had got meningitis whilst in Thailand, the insurance paid for treatment & repatriation, but it meant that travel/health insurance became so prohibitively expensive that he never travelled abroad again. Another 90 year old friend who's health insurance cost much more than the actual holiday.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Dad stranded in Thai hospital after surviving fall from sixth floor balcony

This is an other Begging story, Yes. 

Doesn't work for me .

Being in Los ,Retired , Been here for a few years, Maybe ( Must)  than be on a Extension based on

Retirement .

Than must have THB 800 K . Can use that to pay Bills and go back to the UK . 

Sorr. I Don't do Beggars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was a suicide attempt according to the Bangkok Herald.

image.png.e3adb4dffa4d3ead6fe9a9783b059e2a.png

I assume he wasn't thinking about having insurance

as he wasn't looking to make it out of the other side.

Thailand is not such a paradise where everything is magical and girls flow like water. For some the reality is harsh especially now with this virus.

The Bangkok Herald says

image.png.9ce4a473ee01654262cb04fb21b26bb9.png

We can assume his business class flight was simply a perk of the job working for BA so he didn't pay for it.

Sounds like he retired too early and tried to live somewhere he could not afford. 

Not sure how you reconcile him having no work if he was able to retire though. Perhaps the word 'retired' should be replaced with 'made redundant' then it would make sense.

Looks like he got around though according to de.24

image.png.68525ccf73f22b8e39181c57e9f1196b.png

Unfortunately I cannot give him any sympathy as he made his own bed and must suffer the consequences. 

As he has a 27 year old son, living in the UK, he should take out a loan and pay for his bills, not come begging to others.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Any Brit who has lived outside of the UK for more than one year would have to wait 6 months before receiving benefits upon returning.

That's from what I've heard.

why when immigrants world wide get it the same day they arrive . says it  all about the UK eh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

why when immigrants world wide get it the same day they arrive . says it  all about the UK eh

It's to do with the Habitual Residence Test... (HRT)

if you return to the UK after over 3 months away you and you want to claim new benefits, you may be asked to show you did not cut ties here. 

If you don't have a home here but have another overseas then they can argue you don't live or plan to here. Then you will need to prove your ties to the UK making it your Habitual Home. 

If you can't then you can't claim benefits for 3 months. I haven't heard it move to 6 months though so I am assuming this is still correct

After 5 years it more than certain you will need to prove it. When I returned from living in the USA, I had to show that I had rented a home here and that I had given up my overseas home. That was all.

• Like 1

How did he fall  from 6  storey  balcony?

Was  it a fall or a jump?

His  injuries  at his age  mean  his normal life  is basically over  poor guy

What I  would love to  know  ??

If he  cannot pay his hospital  bill in Thailand  ..What  happens to him??

Prison  ...execution...deportation??

Hear  a  lot about  big  bills as medical  care is extremely high inThailand  

But  never  what happes  if you cannot pay in a situation like this ?

Sad

No  Good  Luck  Thailand this time 

• Sad 1