Bangkok nightclub has special booth to vet and upcharge foreigners

webfact

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As usual people have the choice if they want to go to that place.

I am sure many of their customers are happy that new Thailand arrivals are not allowed to enter.

There are no new arrivals in Thailand, additionally, what’s the difference between a Thai who has quarantined for 15 nights and a foreign who has quarantined for 15 nights ????

Of course, people have the freedom of choice and can simply not go, but the attempts to excuse such a policy have thus far fallen short of offering any logical and viable justification for the bar instigating such a clumsy and seemingly xenophobic policy. 

The only excuse I could think of is that too many foreigners have been going to this bar and babysitting one beer all night while occupying tables which would otherwise be taken by those purchasing bottles of whisky, ice and mixers etc... so the bar is finding a way to ‘filter out’ the beer babysitter and replace them with those who would have a minimum spend of 500b - however, there is no mention of the 500b going towards drinks or foreigners getting entry with the purchase of a bottle etc...  and that still doesn’t explain the stupidity of the ‘passport’ requirement which is simply foolish. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charmonman said:

You do seem to be the type that has no self-respect and does not mind being treated like a leper or a member of an inferior race.

I would avoid this place because it seems to be managed by bigots.

Or just avoid Techno Viking. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I lived in soi 49 before and there are many Japanese restaurants that don't let Thais in for any price. Stop moaning, Thailand has freedom to do as it wishes, you are not in Kansas anymore. 

None of that makes charing foreigners extra and refusing entry without a passport an acceptable policy. 

The argument that ‘it happens elsewhere’ only serves to highlight another set of establishments which operate under a racist policy. 

And.. those are not ‘restaurants’ they are Karaoke girly joints !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

None of that makes charing foreigners extra and refusing entry without a passport an acceptable policy. 

The argument that ‘it happens elsewhere’ only serves to highlight another set of establishments which operate under a racist policy. 

And.. those are not ‘restaurants’ they are Karaoke girly joints !!

It's not racist, it's nationalistic.

A good test of this would be me trying with my Thai ID card.(not the pink one, the real one)

• Haha 1

Doesn't seem so bad actually.

Looks to me that they won't let any tourist in unless they can prove they have been in the country for at least 14 days. That's how I read it anyway.

So, if you are resident, you just have to prove you have been here for 14 days. The only way to do so is to show the stamp in your passport. Hence they won't accept other ID.

However not in favour of dual pricing or overcharging and don't understand the 500 baht element, unless perhaps foreigners have been known to go to the club for hours nursing a Leo all night. Not unheard of.

Edited by Antonymous
  • Confused 1