Water, baking soda ‘cannot prevent, cure cold or flu’

webfact

Water, baking soda ‘cannot prevent, cure cold or flu’

By THE NATION

800_6477fdd47d7a920.jpg?v=1605056598

The Digital Economy and Society Ministry has warned people not to believe or share news or Internet posts which claim that drinking water mixed with baking soda can help prevent or cure a common cold and flu.

“The ministry’s Anti-Fake News Centre contacted the Thailand Food and Drug Administration to verify this information and was told that baking soda or sodium carbonate is an ingredient in baking and has no effect in preventing or treating cold and flu,” it said.

“The common cold is caused by rhinovirus while flu is caused by the influenza virus. Therefore, they provide no immediate cure. The best way to treat them is to drink plenty of water, rest adequately, and consider using medicines to treat fever, cough or a runny nose if these symptoms are present.

“The patient should see a doctor if the symptoms worsen or continue for more than 1-2 weeks,” the ministry said.

For more information, contact Thailand Food and Drug Administration hotline 1556, or visit www.fda.moph.go.th. To report fake news, go to www.antifakenewscenter.com.

640_aa9babca7ci699cbfjabd.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397724

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-11

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“The patient should see a doctor if the symptoms worsen or continue for more than 1-2 weeks,” the ministry said.

Including the symptoms of severe flatulence and gastric reflux brought on by  an excessive amount of baking soda reacting with gastric acid?

• Like 1

Modern diets of processed food tend to cause an imbalance of acidity in the body, which is conducive to infection and inflammation. Taking moderate amounts of 'contaminant-free' baking power, or fully processed Sodium Bicarbonate without traces of mercury and aluminium, might help in restoring the body's ideal balance of alkalinity/acidity.

An imbalance towards acidity tends to exacerbate many medical problems, infections and inflammation. Taking a Sodium Bicarbonate drink once a day, consisting of 1/2 a tea spoon dissolved in a glass of water, can have significant health benefits. However, one should not take such drinks at the same time as the meal, but rather a couple of hours either before or after the meal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Modern diets of processed food tend to cause an imbalance of acidity in the body, which is conducive to infection and inflammation. Taking moderate amounts of 'contaminant-free' baking power, or fully processed Sodium Bicarbonate without traces of mercury and aluminium, might help in restoring the body's ideal balance of alkalinity/acidity.

An imbalance towards acidity tends to exacerbate many medical problems, infections and inflammation. Taking a Sodium Bicarbonate drink once a day, consisting of 1/2 a tea spoon dissolved in a glass of water, can have significant health benefits. However, one should not take such drinks at the same time as the meal, but rather a couple of hours either before or after the meal.

Thanks Doc.... I'll stick to my usual nightcap.

4 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

and i use baking soda for Many other things as well.   no use listing them,  google it for the 2 or 3 people  that might actually believe the 3 of us.....   

14 hours ago, tandor said:

..it will flush out your nasal pharyngeal cavity as will saline solution..that's about it.

Saltwater is good for flushing that too. 

I've used baking soda and water for decades to cure an acid stomach. It works in minutes and avoids the numerous antacids that are expensive and no more efficient. 

For chronic cases and GER it's better to consult a doctor. 

For eating loads of peanuts, cookies, and beer together it works wonders I'm told by a compulsive friend of mine ????

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Saltwater is good for flushing that too. 

I've used baking soda and water for decades to cure an acid stomach. It works in minutes and avoids the numerous antacids that are expensive and no more efficient. 

For chronic cases and GER it's better to consult a doctor. 

For eating loads of peanuts, cookies, and beer together it works wonders I'm told by a compulsive friend of mine ????

..hmmm...what do you think a 'saline solution' is ?

21 hours ago, tandor said:

..it will flush out your nasal pharyngeal cavity as will saline solution..that's about it.

Fill cap of bottle with Listerine. Stick pinky finger in the liquid, stick finger up one nostril wiggle about, close opposite nostril and breath in strongly (sniff). Repeat for other side.

Put balance  of Listerine in your mouth and gargle. 

If it kills stuff in your mouth??

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, tandor said:

..hmmm...what do you think a 'saline solution' is ?

sorry, of course you are correct. I missed that part of your post. Since topic was baking soda I got tunnel vision.

My brother says I'm crazy to use baking soda for an acid stomach. He says it will make your stomach explode.  I just live dangerously. What a rush knowing I'm riding on the edge!

I worked in medical electronics for years and know that 'normal saline' is technically 0.9% ( 9g/L) salt in de-ionized water.

Indeed, always laugh seeing the eyewash and nasal sprays sold as saline.

When I've been sweating a lot I just pour some salt in water and down it.

• Thanks 1