Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

36 minutes ago, hioctane said:

You need a policy that mentions Covid19.

I read investment accounts qualify. It is a balance of your accounts. Not one specific account.

It is impossible to open a bank account in your home country these days without ID. They know exactly how much you have!

Nobody says it needs to be untouched. 

Then they shouldn’t be going. These are near term rules. You can wait for the pandemic to be over to travel again.

It doesn’t specify Thai bank account. Besides, no one can open one while overseas!

Many people are really annoyed with the “begpackers.”

A bank statement suffices.

Nobody says it needs to be liquid.

It doesn't specify Thai bank account....???.....oh ok...so you need to have 500000 baht or equivelant in a bank account in your home country???...and that makes even more sense?...as how does that benefit the Thai authorities.....This makes no sense

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I couldn't believe this so I checked the Thai consulate site in Australia. Yep, required to show you've had a minimum of A$25,000 in your bank for last 6 months

But wait, they forgot to mention in the OP that they now also require proof of confirmed accommodation for entire stay as well (includes 14 days ASQ)

Madness as appears all about money rather than any covid risks

20201111_173055.jpg

I think there’s method in this madness. At least the way they see it.

Instead of having 30,000,000 tourists spend 1,000 baht per day they now want 1,000 tourists to spend 30,000,000 baht per day. Ideally. 

They understand that they have to limit the number of tourists when they open up the country. This is a way to make sure that the first group is the wealthiest group. 

It’s still madness. But there is a logic to it. 

Agree if that is what they are doing,hello neighbour countries will welcome you.Cambodia  and many more.shooting themselves in the foot.Travel insurance at the border to be shown will work,backpackers do provide money to the local people just ones that have 5 star wants will not do this to them

When I came here as a tourist years ago, I always had at least the money, they want them to have now, either with me in cash, or in my accounts.

I guess, the times of backpacking without a brass razoo are over for good.

Did it the Thai government not say some time ago, that they are not wanting poor tourists anymore, but the more well to do ones?

Now they are following suit.

Never mind, that I as a retirement visa resident can’t afford an odd 70 000 Baht health insurance per year, that’s if the health insurance companies would even accept my application, because of pre - existing health conditions.

Wonder, what’s next, time will tell

Cheers

41 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Westerners never were entitled to get Visas on Arrival.

No it was the Chinese, and they were the largest number of tourists, its why I made the comment.  Visa Exempt is another one which I await and see what happens as covid clears and the west can visit for 30 days without a visa..

Thailand has long said that it wants more "classy" tourists.  Having 17k in a bank account will accomplish this, so it doesn't surprise me.  

You will need this money if you get sick and their garbage insurance policies that don't cover much.  It's your milking fund so you can go home hurt, sick, and broke.  

cut off the hands that feeds the tourism industry makes no sense. This year have proven that the expats on retirement visa and marriage visa isn't enough to keep businesses open, so many hotels,bars, restaurant etc have been closed down simply because of the borders are closed. What really amazes me is the number of grumpy farts on this forum thinks the new requirement is a good idea, what if thailand decided to raise the 800,000 baht in a bank to 2 millions? You all grumpy miserable people here (not all) will be moaning about it. People Will go somewhere else and spend their money there instead, not a god idea.

What thailand should consider is a long term visa that allows people of all ages to stay long term without leaving the country, charge a fair fee for that, plenty of people in their 30s,40s that have to go through all the hoops for staying in Thailand long term. The elite visa is a rip off, and if you let say that you plan to stay on Thailand for a year or two 500,000 baht is very expensive, while if you are in your 50s +++ the fee is 1900 a year for extension of stay.

if they are worried that people work illegal then catch them and stop assuming that everyone that stay here are doing the same, time to stop throwing everyone under the bus..

I do not belive they will learn, this year is a good example of how the country's future will look like if they continue with all the non sense requirements..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, androokery said:

I think there’s method in this madness. At least the way they see it.

Instead of having 30,000,000 tourists spend 1,000 baht per day they now want 1,000 tourists to spend 30,000,000 baht per day. Ideally. 

They understand that they have to limit the number of tourists when they open up the country. This is a way to make sure that the first group is the wealthiest group. 

It’s still madness. But there is a logic to it. 

How many of these rich people are waiting to go into 14 day quarantine. Rich mostly are not patient and want to do what they want and when they want.

Good luck with these rules

• Like 2

9 hours ago, andy said:

As they are still insisting on quarantine (e.g voluntary prison) it is a total non-starter, even if there were zero financial requirement.  Drop the quarantine and you would see some takers for this. 

I agree - I for one could manage this easily, as long as a Instant Access Savings Account is possible, but all the while there's quarantine....forget it!

Edited by VBF

8 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

plenty ARE that desperate.

How many is plenty? Thailand gets about 40 million tourists in a regular year. 

What percentage is plenty for You?

The STV seemed to be a huge success with 2 arrivals.. after that, has anyone heard about a steady stream of people coming to quarantine for 14 days?

Who can afford to take more than 2 weeks holidays and spend the first 2 weeks in quarantine? Plenty?

With a max 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Totoandlilly said:

It's possible to have 17k in the Bank and not being "classy" as well, you don't have to dig to much to see that the expats community is a good example. Thailand is a magnet for cheap, moaning, grumpy, negative retirees, not all but many.

Jealous much. Living here is a pleasure. Each day is laughable with the crazy ideas they come up with. Those of us pointing things out in the posts we make are not grumpy, moaning or negative retirees, just putting the facts down in writing on what our views are obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Totoandlilly said:

It's possible to have 17k in the Bank and not being "classy" as well, you don't have to dig to much to see that the expats community is a good example. Thailand is a magnet for cheap, moaning, grumpy, negative retirees, not all but many.

I never stated that I agreed with the new rule.  ????  I think it's silly, but it isn't my country.  Thailand has no compass and despite wanting to retire there pre-pandemic, there is no way on earth I would ever do it now.

Oh I do agree with you about your latter statement.  In general, many retirees I cannot even hold a conversation with because they start whining about how things were, their home countries, politics, things that people in general don't talk about because it's impolite to do so.  And that's just with a friendly hello how are you!

There are fine retirees out there. ????  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Jealous much. Living here is a pleasure. Each day is laughable with the crazy ideas they come up with. Those of us pointing things out in the posts we make are not grumpy, moaning or negative retirees, just putting the facts down in writing on what our views are obviously.

Not jealous at all.  And I'm laughing too.  

Why do you think the worst of my posts?   Well, why do we all think the worst of our posts, that is a better question, myself sometimes included.  

Have a nice day.  

Anyone that lives in the world beyond mainstream media wouldn't have 500k baht in the bank, earning zero, or negative, interest rates.

Possible impending bank failures, central bank digital currencies and the like are very good reasons to put your wealth elsewhere.

Cash in the bank should be at a minimum. Enough to cover bills and emergencies.

Try explaining that one to your local Thai embassy.......