Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

3 hours ago, KKr said:

If tourists need to demonstrate minimum 16.000 USD or so frozen in the Bank, I think the Powers That Be have no clue of the living circumstances and costs in developed countries, and, if there is cash, it is usually moved to investments or back and forward between savings, trading and current accounts. 

In February we decided to shelf plans organising tours to the Qatar Football World Cup and to focus on Thailand as that promised more continuous business and tourism flows from China and India as-if-and-when borders open..

This great knee jerk policy decision makes us look for the Thinking Caps again.

" I think the Powers That Be have no clue of the living circumstances and costs in developed countries"

I asked a Thai girl once why she thought that every farang in Thailand had "pots of cash".

She said "Well, you must have lots of money or you wouldn't have been able to afford to fly here."

I think that now she must have a very important job in the current Administration!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My wife said if this is true we might as well go live in the Temple now

Unfortunately this is true as instead of the usual 'plans' this one is actually already posted as a requirement on every thai consulate website ????

46 minutes ago, geisha said:

Of course, but they don’t have the 500 000 baht blocked in their bank accounts do they ? So when travel becomes easier these countries might be a good option .

Bali  may be an exception because the economy of it has been formed around  tourism almost exclusively.

But while the  pandemic has  disrupted that and thousands  have  departed back to origins elsewhere in Indonesia the Balinese are enjoying a degree of resumption of their  culture which  is tightly supportive.

I find the  fixated  opinion of western attitudes  quite  sad in that there is this projected presumption that "Tourism" is the be all and  end all of any economy.

The truth is that in terms of  reality that the  worst impact of a cessation in economic "advancement" is on the   sector of non productive  speculation and the slut fest profit taking from short term investments involved.

Perhaps in time the  impact of  C-19 will instill recognition of some basic realities that have been obscured by the adulation of wealth in extreme excess of necessity.

By accident  or design and without  discrimination  C-19 has and will  bring about  some  major re-evaluations in  how humanity  proceeds.

A major  component of that involves the consideration of those  that have  a lot to lose and those that have  never  had much to lose. Who has the survivable  advantage in that situation?

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Will anybody miss Kev and Tracy from Essex?

Before the Covid we got loads of UK Kev,Tracy and Karens over here in Temple Bar the pub district of Dublin every Weekend.Now with the pubs closed here for months they probably have to contend themselves with Southend on Sea and Brighton. 

41 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Each day you click on to T.V. I'm thinking can it change?  But after the click it just get worse double-triple down of Stupidity. Each day the Virus has shown the job is nearly complete or already done " Land of Stupidity "  yes tomorrow it will be even worse! The leadership has no shame or should I say no brains.

We're nowhere near done yet either.

I'm going to be very surprised if there's any level of normality for at least another year. Maybe March / April 2022 after the winter season - just in case it comes back again.

The mental insanity continous, probably worsened by the covid19 situation. How any people having normal income, mortgages, car financing, schhoolkids financing, house expenses, etc could easily show 500k bankaccount? Everyday they imagine new measures to make it tourists more difficult and complicate to visit.  Why do they dont just say, you are not welcome, except your money and by international transfert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orient Express said:

Exactly. Don't p1ss off backpackers. They are the future Bill Gates - Elon Musk - Richard Branson types in this world.

"Backpackers" who make their fortunes will often return to or even invest in countries they have fond memories of from their youthful days.

If I recall, a backpacker was the inventor of the first ever deodorant stick; I believe he won a Nobel Prize for this.

In another "fact", which may simply be an urban legend, another backpacker came up with the concept of using deodorant, but also taking a shower at least once daily.

We owe so much to backpackers.

Actually, not really.

7 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Never got what some people have against backpackers. Was one myself eons ago and never saw a fellow backpacker hurt anyone else.

Is it jealousy of their youth? Can't think of any other explanation.

Four legs good, two legs bad.

• Haha 1