Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

11 minutes ago, oznomad said:

Anyone that lives in the world beyond mainstream media wouldn't have 500k baht in the bank, earning zero, or negative, interest rates.

Possible impending bank failures, central bank digital currencies and the like are very good reasons to put your wealth elsewhere.

Cash in the bank should be at a minimum. Enough to cover bills and emergencies.

Try explaining that one to your local Thai embassy.......

Who said the funds need to be in a zero interest account ?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners who wish to apply for a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) to Thailand are now required to provide 6 months worth of bank statements showing a bank balance of at least 500,000 THB.

Is it a bank balance in a thai bank or in the country of the "tourist" ?

If they keep this rule , there won't be any tourist longer then 30d staying in Thailand . 30d simple stamp in passport , Ohhhh... you want to stay 60 d ... wait ... a small bank statement needed . Crazy ...

And the retirement visa for 800k in the bank if im correct , i think you should start looking at a extra 0 in the end .

And thinking about what it brings to them ? Beside extortion , there cannot be anything else .

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

real 'tourists' will utilize the voa. Real 'tourists' live in another country and are coming for a holiday and presumably have a job they have to return to. Living on the border of the US  for 40 years I entered frequently, their main concern? did I have a job back in Canada? which would necessitate my return. Most countries have a similar concern. They don't want a bunch of foreigners running around doing whatever they deem necessary to keep living there including breaking laws and  offering bribes. I have friends (retired) that apply for a tourist visa every year, they usually spend 3 months. They are real long stay tourists, in my home country we call them snowbirds. They are not wealthy by any standards but will have absolutely no problem providing this requirement. But as I say, these are real tourists not folks trying to circumvent laws to live in another country..  

Which VOA would that be?

• Confused 1

The brown boys simply dont want the punters anymore and they do everything to achive this. Bar centers are replaced by condos, the "appearance" of the Walking Street will be different once the improvement have been made, they invest increasingly in infrastructure upgrades, extensive medical centers are being build in Phuket, a monorail in Pattaya, infamous Beachroad will be upgraded continuously to accommodate even more bus loads with Chinese travelers, visa requirements are extremely beefed up to avoid dealing with the usual back-to-back travelers in the future, security cams are installed all over the places, immigration is chasing the remaining expats and/or illegals and last but not least - the wristband to control tourists even closer will be in place soon etc..etc.. The Covid-19 pandemic is just increasing the speed of the military dictators planning process for a clean and modern "Chinese style" Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, lavezzi said:

So if I've 500k in the bank since 6 months, and I can prove i've no covid and have insurance and all the remaining requirements, can I travel to thailand from Italy?

You have to look at the embassy information there. But contrary to earlier statements they allow now tourists from high risk countries. 

Are they totally nuts? Anyone with that sort of money is going to move it into something other than a current account and make a little bit of interest. No one leaves 500K in a bank account for six months. And when in comes to a family of four, they have to show 2 million? 

No need to panic, as we all know that it`s a just a short-term, brainless idea. They totally lost their face with the STV, so that's the next step now.

I had plenty of experiences in the past with METV`s, so the reality is that no embassy cares, if those 500k are from a current, a saving or whatever joint account. Even if the METV was just 1/3 with 5000E I got it approved every single time without 5k on my current account, but in savings account.

They just imposed that rule, as they still think that a lot of tourists would come with "too low" requirements. However, they still don't get that the ASQ is the no go for 95% of the genuine tourists. For the other 5% those 500k Baht are so much better and easier than the ridiculous requirements in the past. 

This 500k requirement will disappear sooner or later. Even the health insurance will disappear, once mass tourism restarts one day. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1