Prayut shoots down bid to scrap military draft

webfact

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Now hold on a minute, who will cut the grass at all of the generals houses and, those of their superiors who also live off base.  Who will wash their cars, clean the inside of the house, as well as take their laundry to the cleaners all while practicing for the day the big invasion or war looms with their neighbors. 

You forgot about pet care! 

16 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

You forgot about pet care! 

Damned you are so much ahead of the game plan, how could I have forgotten that.  Yes the Koi ponds need to be cleaned by conscripts in bathing suits while the generals wives watch in fascination.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Falcon said:

It’s not so easy these days to simply it to avoid the draft, a few years ago the cost was around 30,000 baht but since the military coup and the military rule ever since, the option to pay has been all but shut off. We have an ex army general in the family and even he had no say in our son being able to have the paid out option so our son has to do, as is the option for most who qualify, the ror dor (army cadets “ for 3 years to not have to go in to the army lottery.

That is what my 16 year old son is doing now. I am not sure if he listened to me last year whne I mentioned it or he is doing it of his own idea. It cost me 2,900 for his uniform this year.

It’s not so easy these days to simply it to avoid the draft, a few years ago the cost was around 30,000 baht but since the military coup and the military rule ever since, the option to pay has been all but shut off. We have an ex army general in the family and even he had no say in our son being able to have the paid out option so our son has to do, as is the option for most who qualify, the ror dor (army cadets “ for 3 years to not have to go in to the army lottery.

That is what my 16 year old son is doing now. I am not sure if he listened to me last year whne I mentioned it or he is doing it of his own idea. It cost me 2,900 for his uniform this year.

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Now hold on a minute, who will cut the grass at all of the generals houses and, those of their superiors who also live off base.  Who will wash their cars, clean the inside of the house, as well as take their laundry to the cleaners all while practicing for the day the big invasion or war looms with their neighbors. 

That is pretty much true. My wifes nephew is into his 2nd year, he did volunteer, he is one of 2 drivers and handy guys for a retired general. It is actually good duty, plenty of time off and good pay. They do have to preform their military training.

4 hours ago, dallen52 said:

It's a farce anyway. 

My partners son has been home since June.

Leave and no pay. 

They don't have the 6000 baht a month to pay them.

Call me cynical, but I expect the 6,000 baht a month is still being collected by someone  - but not to the lad on forced leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem revolves around the crown , it is  a great honor to serve the King and that is the crux of the matter, whether people like it or not that is the road block you have to work around,  nothing to do with Prayut,  conscription in a modern world isn't needed , the call up age interferes with their university degrees and Thailand has never needed to call on its reservists let alone conscripts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Rotten, through and through........   Wasn't Army corruption in military housing the reason why the last soldier went on a shooting campaign ?  

And if i remember correct it happened the day before children's day when the Army lets kids play with guns. Is it no wonder Thailand has a gun culture. IMO this should be stopped.

1994494620_images(24).jpg.f40620c1ffdb05d04af05451cc02639e.jpg  <<--  oo   1413056740_images(23).jpg.a5a40c6c45de564a2dc2b4f445186aee.jpg    1227725531_images(21).jpg.6533044c8e43eddeda3b41f4cc9c6f24.jpg        Awful IMO

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Bannoi said:

The majority of conscripts are worse than useless fit only for cannon fodder. 

And it can be very different.

Singapore has national service and 99% of young men are happy/keen to do NS. They have modern barracks and facilities, excellent food, & qualified focused emotionally balanced trainers. 

Violence, severe harassment is absolutely not allowed and unheard of. They join activities with other military teams abroad. Ninety+ % leave NS with a valuable qualification (of their choice), many with a bachelor degree. The whole approach to their NS training/time encourages positive thinking, good behavior and there are systems to provide good employment on discharge (not labouring). 

• Like 1

Just now, scorecard said:

And it can be very different.

Singapore has national service and 99% of young men are happy/keen to do NS. They have modern barracks and facilities, excellent food, & qualified focused emotionally balanced trainers. 

Violence/severe harassment is absolutely not allowed and unheard of. They join activities with other military teams abroad.

Ninety+ % leave NS with a valuable qualification (of their choice), many with a bachelor degree. The whole approach to their NS training/time encourages positive thinking, good behavior and there are systems to provide good employment on discharge (not labouring). 

Win-win for all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut shoots down bid to scrap military draft

000_1LX6RH.jpg

File photo / AFP

An opposition party’s push for military reform has hit trouble after its draft law to abolish conscription was shot down before making it to Parliament.

The Bill on Military Service proposed by MPs of the now-defunct Future Forward Party failed to get the necessary endorsement from Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who is also a former Army chief.

The proposed legislation is considered “a money bill”, according to the Constitution, and thus requires the prime minister’s nod before it can be sent to the House of Representatives for debate.

A money bill refers to draft legislation dealing with changes to taxes or duties, payment of state funds, or any act binding state properties.

Future Forward’s successor the Kao Klai (Move Forward) Party is carrying forward the anti-conscription campaign, and has criticised General Prayut for “intervening in legislative work for his own political objectives”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prayut-shoots-down-bid-to-scrap-military-draft/

thaipbs.jpg

I hear too!

19 hours ago, BaronVonBangkok said:

With all these pro Democracy protests, now is hardly the time Prayut will considering scrapping his free bodyguards.

Not to mention, he has a lot of very expensive cars that need cleaning.

Surely draftees are so far beneath the dust on the soles of his shoes that they won't get close to such a luxury posting - they'll probably spend most of their time standing waist deep in latrine pits as punishment for being unworthy.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

My son is doing the same. He has to visit an army camp for two weeks every term. He is now in Matayom 5. As a results he gets excempted from  the conscription.

The first time he was visiting the camp, he wanted to quit it after one week because it was to hard. I asked if he rather prefer one year conscription and he completed the camp without further complaining haha

Edited by dtpman83
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You forgot the most important part of being in the army.  If there is not conscription, who is going' to "whitewash" all of the rocks, or are they stones, that need to be whitened daily?

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bannoi said:

The majority of conscripts are worse than useless fit only for cannon fodder. 

But whose cannon? With double the number of Generals as the US what foe is the army preparing to face? Laos, Cambodia, China?  They surrendered to the Japanese; they are rolling over under the Chinese jackboots; they lost to Cambodia over a religious shrine.  The real enemy of the Thai Army is its own people.

• Like 1

Just chat to my partner. 
Her son went on extended leave from military service. 
4 months so far.
No salary obviously. 
He says he is not returning to Petchabun army base. 
One of his friends was beaten up by an officer yesterday. 
Falling and breaking neck, puncture lung.
Died..

So that hasn't been in the news yet. 

I know that bastardisation happens..

That was yesterday.

That's two in Petchabun recently. 

On 11/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, scorecard said:

Win-win for all.

Just chat to my partner. 
Her son went on extended leave from military service. 
4 months so far.
No salary obviously. 
He says he is not returning to Petchabun army base. 
One of his friends was beaten up by an officer yesterday. 
Falling and breaking neck, puncture lung.
Died..

So that hasn't been in the news yet. 

I know that bastardisation happens..

That was yesterday.

• Sad 1