laptop life-expectancy

BananaBandit

On 11/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Some devices work for a long time. I.e. ThinkPad business notebooks are sturdy and drivers are still available for a long time.

I have one of those which is now about 10 years old. The following problems happen at some stage - even if in theory all still works.

- The RAM is non enough anymore and it is not possible to upgrade anymore

- The BIOS and functionality is limited. I.e. it's possible to change the HDD to a SSD but the new SSD is not as fast as it would be in a new computer.

- Heat, CPU: Clean it with compressed air or a vacuum cleaner  and make sure the fan still works.

- CPU at 100%: Let it run and update for a few hours and look again. If a notebook with Windows 10 is not used for a week or a month often lots of updates want to be installed and that takes a long time. Just let it run and if necessary reboot if necessary.

- Battery and other parts: At some stage it's impossible or very expensive to get spare parts like a battery.

About how much longer depends a lot on what you do. I.e. if you want to install the newest browser to look at the newest websites then one day you won't have enough RAM anymore. It depends how much you use it for "new" technology like websites which don't work on "old" technology anymore.

May have to look also at the heat transfer paste between the CPU and the heat sink on a machine that old.  Have a 2013 Dell Precision M4800 with an aftermarket 1TB SSD and upgraded to 16GB ram on upgraded Win10 Pro (came with 7 Pro).  While it runs better than new at this point, I recently realized newer BT headsets will not pair due to hard wired version problems ????

Clogged fan is highly unlikely to cause high CPU usage. Install one of the utilities BigStar recommended to check the CPU and other temps. Personally I like to use the utility 'Core Temp' that allows you to display the CPU speed and temps near your clock. Check your CPU temps when the laptop is running normally, CPU running continually at 100% will drive the temperatures up clogged fan or not.  If your hardware temps are in a normal range then odds are your fan is not severely clogged. You can dangle a sliver of toilet paper over a fan vent to see if air is getting pushed out.

If your CPU usage starts running at 100% again use TaskManager and sort by the CPU column on the Processes tab to show what process is causing the problem.

Wouldn't hurt to free up some space on your hard drive too though that won't be causing your current problems.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

May have to look also at the heat transfer paste between the CPU and the heat sink on a machine that old.  Have a 2013 Dell Precision M4800 with an aftermarket 1TB SSD and upgraded to 16GB ram on upgraded Win10 Pro (came with 7 Pro).  While it runs better than new at this point, I recently realized newer BT headsets will not pair due to hard wired version problems ????

In my experience there is never a problem with that paste if the heatsink is still properly connected to the CPU. I had lots of old desktop PCs were the heatsink was lose. And that is obviously a problem - which most of the time can be fixed.

I think BT is basically no problem. Because it's easy to buy small and good BT receivers.

Something like this:

H7bd7a37161154123b8a43b332492ff90O.jpg_q

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, BananaBandit said:

Of even more value to me is my Lenovo laptop. Bought brand new in mid 2012. We been through so much together (and i have her customized just the way I want).

Good luck... I purchase my Sony Viao in 2009 and carried it offshore and other destinations for 7 years. Some circuit (probably on the  mother board) quit in 2016, but no worries, Sony fixed it in a flash for less than baht 1000. In 2018, it couldn't find the path to boot up. Again Sony fixed (Baht 600), but he finally retired in 2019. I was reading my email, when it just turned off, never to start again. Sony suggested it was probably the motherboard, but they no longer have replacement parts for a computer that old. I was sad... I bought a new Dell in 2019 (still sad after one yr of hell with Dell, but it seems the last repair, replaced the motherboard, memory and hard drive seems to have fixed it)

My first Dell lasted a LONG time (1998 to 2005, still boots up, but the hing wore out). My Acer purchased in 2006 still boots, but it is SLOW and the battery is shot. It lasted until 2009 when I bought the Sony already mentioned.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Be nice to know what processes were taking up the CPU and which you killed off.

Maybe it was just Chrome all along.????

Compressed air's fine. Air compressor, no. Here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Laptop-with-Compressed-Air

You can get a lot of mileage outta that can.

Probably no need to say this, but be sure to do regular backups on that old machine (not clear how old the HDD is). Good to create a baseline image or even a clone and update for significant changes as well.

Now that you've acquiesced and given the specs, then, given where we are, you're probably going to be pressured to update and upgrade. Up to you, though, as we say in Pattaya.

You just cannot help yourself can you? Always desperate to try to get a little dig in.

Now that you've acquiesced and given the specs, then, given where we are, you're probably going to be pressured to update and upgrade. Up to you, though, as we say in Pattaya.

You of course know that the device would benefit enormously from a transfer to a solid state drive. 20 GB free on a possibly nine year old HDD. It's time to back up and change.

But it clearly hurts you too much to state it directly.

2020-11-15_084638_w.png.76ad17ef9502391db3f800187567894f.png

needs a solid state drive to get the best of it.

• Haha 1

Depends very much on usage, conditions that you keep it in and temperature.

My laptop is 10 years old, still operates like the day I bought it, it stays on my desk at home, I use a cooling pad to keep it below room temp... no issues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

Still have a laptop running with linux and the machine first use was in 2003. 4GB RAM

also have a computer running as server that is from 1998.

still have my fist built computer running doing nice lab things and that one is from 1982.

as long as the hardware can support what is needed you can use it.

at a certain point you reach a point the you need to repair and the can buy a new one.

like Samsung for example the Tablet note 8 (2014?). Samsung told me to throw it away after 2 years because the lower part was not working well with the keys.

just changes to another alternative android  OS and my son is still enjoying it today plays his games watch his things.

of course I do have new laptops like the HP portable workstation. this beside two Toshiba from 2013 and these I did upgrade in 2019 upgraded with ram to 16GB and in 2020 swap HD to SSD 1GB WD 3D NAND and still they  can run things like autodesk Invertor on windows 10 Pro 64 bits. on two screens

All i want to say as long as it suite your needs why need a new one? 

Always amuses me when I read people suggesting that you need the latest and greatest with 8 GB of RAM just to surf the Internet. So ridiculous.

I cannot even take my new laptops out of their boxes because my old laptops just keep going. 

I have a brand new laptop from 2009 still in it's original box as the laptop it was meant to replace just kept on working and doing what I needed.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Clogged fan is highly unlikely to cause high CPU usage. Install one of the utilities BigStar recommended to check the CPU and other temps. Personally I like to use the utility 'Core Temp' that allows you to display the CPU speed and temps near your clock. Check your CPU temps when the laptop is running normally, CPU running continually at 100% will drive the temperatures up clogged fan or not.  If your hardware temps are in a normal range then odds are your fan is not severely clogged. You can dangle a sliver of toilet paper over a fan vent to see if air is getting pushed out.

If your CPU usage starts running at 100% again use TaskManager and sort by the CPU column on the Processes tab to show what process is causing the problem.

Wouldn't hurt to free up some space on your hard drive too though that won't be causing your current problems.

Openhardwaremonitor is another free tool to measure temps/CPU speed/etc...  Have a couple of programs that really draw on the I7 CPU at startup and doing certain functions, close to max fan usage.  Went in and played with the CPU max % in POWER section of Win10.  Found knocking the CPU max % down to 97% really made a difference with no noticeable degradation in performance.  Keeping temp spikes down goes a long way to help CPU life.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, Henryford said:

My Lenovo laptop died in under 2 years. Chinese <deleted>.

I've owned over 15 laptops & all have gone at least 5 - 6 years at minimum. Have a DELL Inspiron 17R that is over 7 years old and still going strong.

Generally you should expect to get at least 4 years out of most, though they could go within a year [you'd be lucky still under warranty] in rare cases.

stick to the mainstream brands.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You of course know that the device would benefit enormously from a transfer to a solid state drive. 20 GB free on a possibly nine year old HDD. It's time to back up and change.

You're slippin', man. Where's the free upgrade to Win 10 and the how-to????? Though OP might consider Linux Mint as suggested by some posters. Love me some Mint.

Edited by BigStar

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Always amuses me when I read people suggesting that you need the latest and greatest with 8 GB of RAM just to surf the Internet. So ridiculous.

Me, too. 'Course, @Autonuaq suggested no such thing for anyone and recommends people stay with what's already sufficient for their needs.

It seems he himself does have some interest in running Autodesk Inventor, however, with which you're not familiar. The suggested RAM spec for that program is 32 GB, yet he's making do with a mere 16. Always look at the big picture.????

I still wouldn't trade her for any other machine on this planet. 

That almost  sounds like a special love relationship, ????    but I understand what you mean, I think.     I don't use Windows but whenever there's a major change on a system or application on my lap, I tend to hold my breath.   And as far as that goes, if I could I'd turn the  time machine back and  restore the 2005 mail application,  I would.

My lap is nearly 8 years old and it is showing its age.   I  definitely don't treat it gingerly and it's constantly on the move.

It has also served me well and if it had emotions I would grant it  a  deserved retirement.

To add:     I never intentionally  turn off the lap.   It may go off occasionally  from battery drain but that's it.   I know it's not wise to keep it on constantly  but as I said, it doesn't get soft treatment from me.    Just the opposite in fact.     I never expected it to last this long.

Edited by Andy from Kent
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 11:38 AM, Eindhoven said:

BIOS has nothing to do with it.

RAM also unlikely to be an issue.

SSD wouldn't send the CPU to 100%, so also not a factor. Even if SATA 1, it would still be a huge improvement over HDD.

@OneMoreFarang was addressing the issue of obsolescence of a laptop, the main thrust of the OP's question, in connection w/ BIOS, RAM, and SSD--not the CPU issue.

Yes, those do in fact very much relate to possible obsolescence or perception thereof.????

On 11/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

No, we don't need a full model number to answer this question.

Right. And the problem was solved independently of model number. I don't think a full restore was at all necessary, either, but anyway it was cheap & easy. Got a shiny new Chrome.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 3:49 PM, tingtongfarang said:

I have 3 thinkpads... 2 from IBM and one i still use from lenovo, just take a look in the laptop repair places and you will notice they all use thinkpads,

They are intended to be taken apart and upgraded - and repared for as long as possible.

An X230, one of the last great ThinkPads, running Manjaro. Sweet.

https://i.redd.it/0wbhqw25wez51.jpg

Edited by BigStar

Delete all you browsers histories, delete the files in windows prefetch all that <deleted>. Mostly one, newest cant, it will pop up with that.

Glary utilities is free , let it run your computer. privacy options, register and more, it cleans up all kind of <deleted>.

Mailwarebytes you can have for free and let it check for mailware.

Is your memory still working? or maybe to less? There are settings about memory to set.

Of course cleaning inside the laptop prevents from heating up your laptop and at one point breaking up components.

I remember someone once telling me that all digital machines have a max life expectancy of about 10 years.  However, this can't be entirely accurate:  My handheld digi camera still generates decent images after more than 13 years. 

Of even more value to me is my Lenovo laptop. Bought brand new in mid 2012. We been through so much together (and i have her customized just the way I want). After 8-plus years, some of her USB orifices don't work optimally, but I still wouldn't trade her for any other machine on this planet. 

How much longer can I expect her to function (for the record, she has never incurred much physical trauma or viral infection) ?

Recently, my Windows Task Manager panel says that the CPU Usage is 100% ...even if I'm not really doing much.  This seems problematic.  What should I do?   Would using a can of compressed air on her dusty orifices help things?   I wonder if some of the dust is blocking the vents, and I recall someone else once saying that "heat is the nemesis of lifespan."

Probably it is at the end of its lifespan now. Buy new one and you will be surprised by how it works! Speed and graphics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrith54 said:

Probably it is at the end of its lifespan now. Buy new one and you will be surprised by how it works!

I did exactly that no long ago. Original laptop, a laptop was over 10 years old with no HDMI and had some minor performance issues so I bought a new laptop since its a lot easier to set up a new device when the old one still works and you can more easily duplicate the configuration.

After I got the new laptop dialed in the way I like it I opened up the old laptop gave the clogged fan a thorough cleaning and reseated the CPU and graphics chips. It now runs great again. I keep it set up in another room and use SyncToy to sync documents, images, browser settings etc between the two laptops. Its seamless moving from one to the other and I now have a good backup laptop to travel with.

2 hours ago, Harrith54 said:

Probably it is at the end of its lifespan now. Buy new one and you will be surprised by how it works! Speed and graphics. 

???? Homewrecker!

After 8-plus years, some of her USB orifices don't work optimally, but I still wouldn't trade her for any other machine on this planet. 

I purchase my Sony Viao in 1998, it worked fine but finally gave up in 2016,   in 1998 it cost me £ 1,700 odd pounds.

My Partner has a Acer bought in 2005, still runs XP + is used most days for work, the on/off works when it feels like it, + painfully slow by today's laptops, the battery died about 4 years ago so is only used with mains plugged in, the CD stopped about the same time

We had 2 tablets both Samsung, both have been back to Samsung countless times for repairs, both are non working now, both out of warranty last time Samsung quote was silly price for repair and said not worth repairing....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

My Partner has a Acer bought in 2005, still runs XP + is used most days for work, the on/off works when it feels like it, + painfully slow by today's laptops, the battery died about 4 years ago so is only used with mains plugged in, the CD stopped about the same time

Good. I'm a big believer in being content with what's doing the job for you. Also, it's a point of pride to get as much mileage as possible out of your hardware and give the aged a new lease on life (a principle more widely applicable, too).

There's a long-running (since 2009) informative thread for old hardware devotees over at TechPowerUp entitled TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club.  One poster says,

My current laptop: Compaq CQ60 from 2008. Got it for peanuts in 2013 from a friend who said it was "useless". And it really was! It was the bottom-spec model with a Sempron SI-40, 1 GB DDR2-666, 120 GB HDD and the notorious GF 8M. Running Vista, this thing was idling at 65 deg C :twitch:

I set out to give it another lease of life, with maxed out specs. It received a Turion X2 Ultra ZM-85, 2x 2 GB DDR2-800, an SSD, and 64-bit Win7 HP. It also got a new oversized battery. But even after cleaning everything and replacing the TIM, the temps were quite high and the fan would soon get noisy. So I took more extreme measures and literally cut out a hole in the case, effectively removing the CPU vent. Put some wire mesh from a fan filter to keep the dust off.

Now it's been idling at 43 deg C :clap:I still use this laptop for office work, YT and web browsing.

So there you go. Sometimes a little modification's needed.????

We have, or had, one member here religiously devoted to his Win XP. I could see still using that, Win 7, or Win 8.1 (the last seriously underrated IMO), if my programs still ran well under them. Yeah, doable, with some precautions, despite the hysteria for Win 10. I would, however, update the UI for a modern look if I chose that route. 

• Like 1

My company replaces employee laptops every 3 years. Usually my Lenovo Carbon X1 is showing sighs of trouble by then.

I usually replace my gaming laptops every 5 years. My current gaming laptop (as opposed to my wife and kids gaming rigs) is 6 years old but still plays new games, at 110k baht it was very high spec when I got it though. We will see when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out if I have to replace it as well. I run all my machines 24/7 with cooling pads under them and they are all still working when I replace them, but the games outpace the hardware pretty quickly.

I had a Toshiba laptop running Win 7.  CPU never idled at lower than 20%.  I don't know if Win 10 has this, but at the install screen there was this option "repair this installation" (or something like that) so I gave it a shot and afterwards it idled around 5%.  All well and good.  Within a year the graphics hardware went south, I then found out that model was infamous for this problem and I was lucky it kept working as long as it had (3 years).

When I was moving around a lot my laptops would last app. 3 years (I'm clumsy sometimes), these were Compaq, Fujistsu, Toshiba, Acer,  Sony (and another I can't recall).  The Fujitsu was the oddest, the CPU chip would have condensation in air conditioned rooms and in the mornings it wouldn't start, I'd have to open the underside to dry it out.

HP made quality, solid laptops in the 1990s.  Unfortunately after they bought Compaq they adopted that company's shoddy product standard.

Currently have an Asus 4+ years and so far so good, and I haven't moved it around much.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

I don't know if Win 10 has this, but at the install screen there was this option "repair this installation"

Well yes, I looked this up and all the details are here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

I don't mean to sound like a nagging nun, but doing a backup of the C: partition beforehand would be wise.