Do Thai people have, and does the culture here, promote common sense and reason?

spidermike007

19 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

When very upset she add " This is Thailand, not Congo, where you could dictate your colonial mentality".

Well, we certainly did it that way over there, and it did not work out too well for us, or for them, now did it? ????

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. They operate franchises, and are completely immune to oversight or prosecution. So expect corruption from them, and expect a fleecing, if you give them the slightest opportunity. They are best avoided. Always remember. In Thailand the police only rarely engage in law enforcement. Most of what they do is revenue collection.

10. The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made for the government, and the highways would be far safer.

Any thoughts? 

Thai police seems to perform quite a lot of law enforcement. One proof of that is that the jails are full. Besides, there is criminality, and they occasionally catch the criminals, do they?

We had some disturbance in the neighbourhood a while ago, my wife called the police, they came up and they helped defuse the situation. Very much like the police would do it in Europe, I suppose.

I just got in the mail yesterday a ticket for speeding. 130 kmh where the limit is 90 kmh. The fine is 500 bahts. It is an automatic ticket, with photo of the car etc., very First World, all in all.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind

That is a good summary.

I think it's important that foreigners keep an open mind and don't think constantly: we do this different and we do this better.

Thailand is different, accept it, live with it. Complaining won't change anything.

After a while (years living here) we understand a little better what Thai people do in which situations. That is understanding like: we know they do this and that. And it is not: Yes, I understand they do this because of this and that. Mostly, IMHO, we don't understand why they do what they do.

One of my summaries for new people to Thailand is: Don't try to find any logic. There is no logic (in our sense) so you won't find any. And after you accept that the question WHY? does not make any sense life becomes much easier. Relax. Enjoy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Thai police seems to perform quite a lot of law enforcement. One proof of that is that the jails are full. Besides, there is criminality, and they occasionally catch the criminals, do they?

We had some disturbance in the neighbourhood a while ago, my wife called the police, they came up and they helped defuse the situation. Very much like the police would do it in Europe, I suppose.

It seems many laws in Thailand only exist so that the police can extort money. Gambling is a prime example.

The police know if people disobey the laws. And what do they do first? Arrest the law breaker? Or is their first action to negotiate a cash payment so that they can pretend they didn't see what happened? And only if that payment does not happen or is not sufficient then they actually enforce the law (so others see that they better pay). TiT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Now that people, especially the young ones, have a constant balcony open to how things are elsewhere, by the way of internet and social media, it will be increasingly difficult to keep the lid on the pressure cooker. 

And what are the young people looking at on the internet and social media? Did they follow i.e. the US elections, which are important for the rest of the world? Or is K-pop and the newest food fashion and gadget higher on that list?

Sure, there are some Thai people who care and try to understand the rest of the world. But it seems these people are the exception and not the rule.

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And what are the young people looking at on the internet and social media? Did they follow i.e. the US elections, which are important for the rest of the world? Or is K-pop and the newest food fashion and gadget higher on that list?

Sure, there are some Thai people who care and try to understand the rest of the world. But it seems these people are the exception and not the rule.

Hard to say. I know my wife studies geology, rock formation, science, looks at international news, and many other rather fascinating things online. The younger they are, the more promise they seem to have here. I did not always feel that way about Gen Z. But, the Thai kids impress me alot more than their counterparts in the US. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

I just got in the mail yesterday a ticket for speeding. 130 kmh where the limit is 90 kmh. The fine is 500 bahts. It is an automatic ticket, with photo of the car etc., very First World, all in all.

Generally speaking, the jails are full of people who could not buy their way out of the crime they committed. I cannot believe the number of first hand stories I have heard of people being given that opportunity, in a very open and notorious manner, before being arrested, or brought to the precinct. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Generally speaking, the jails are full of people who could not buy their way out of the crime they committed. I cannot believe the number of first hand stories I have heard of people being given that opportunity, in a very open and notorious manner, before being arrested, or brought to the precinct. 

Well, very possibly, but that reinforces the notion that the police do enforce the law. They really do catch criminals, offenders in a large sense. The fact that there is corruption does not change anything to that. You do have a point that people can buy their way out of trouble here a lot more than in many other places, but if it was not so, and law enforcement became incorruptible, they simply would need to build more jails.

I would be more concerned if you reported cases of people wrongly accused on imaginary crimes, only to be fleeced by rotten cops, as it happens in real failed states (like in Russia, where the running joke is about that policeman telling you that he cannot afford to wait until you do something wrong to feed his family).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There appears to be very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

Interesting list - thanks... 

Some of their common sense works better for me... and about the issue of 'face' - - I think in many ways it exists as strongly in the Western World... it is just a matter of people not wanting to be wrong - 

but I too often feel that I am on another planet - and I like that. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is true, and we should not idealize the Thai youth wholesale for being freedom-loving and hungry for lofty goals of improving the fairness of things.

But even K-pop and all the rest of the media they consume promotes a society of affluence and upward social mobility, that has to clash with the prospects that many realistically have in their current status. The thing is: peasants revolt, but revolutions are started by disgruntled aspiring elite. Authoritarian regimes can jugulate revolts with a carrot and stick approach, for a long time and possibly forever, but it is a lot harder to deal with an increasing number of young (and not so young) people who get the notion that they are not getting a fair deal.

Not unlike in China, successive Thai governments, despite permanent power struggles, succeeded in lifting tens of millions out of poverty. With all its faults, Thailand has been remarkably successful at raising the living standards of the population. Public health and public education, infrastructure and the general economy have improved a lot in the last half century. But by doing so, they opened Pandora's box. And unlike in China, the ruling elite of Thailand probably cannot stay ahead of the curve for much longer, COVID having cut their prospects of doing so. The unspoken deal was: improve the material condition of the multitude faster than their sense of entitlement for more. If that cannot be done well enough anymore, there will be trouble.

59 minutes ago, tifino said:

and if have a Thai Mrs... 

rule 1: always let her 'think' she has won...

rule 2;  

- There is a Right Way

- There is a Wrong Way

- and there is the Sommai Way

so just let her have it her way

I prefer if I have my way.

That doesn't mean I ignore my gf. But I am the captain of that ship...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I first came here I used to get angry and frustrated (wasted energy I know) now I find it helpful to look at everyday Thais as 12 year-olds. I sleep better, don't get angry and am not frustrated. Thais who have travelled and are educated outside of Thailand are a totally different kettle of fish than everyday Somchais.