Car tax sticker renewal for next year, can we do it now ? Does everybody renew it at the same time ?

thepdru

hello,

In the past a broker was doing it for me but now I would like to renew my car tax sticker myself by going to the driving license office.

Do you know if it is possible to renew it now ? And does everybody has to renew it before the end of the year, every year ? Or is the date different for everybody ?

Thank you for your help.

2 minutes ago, thepdru said:

Or is the date different for everybody ?

It has a month too. We do ours about a month early (two cars, two different months).

Don't forget you need the compulsory insurance to renew which may or may not be included with your main insurance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thepdru said:

Thank you, but for everybody it will be before the Thai new year in April ? I am still confused about why it's different for different cars ?!

No, renew it before the renewal date on your sticker. Use Google Translate to check the month it runs out.

EDIT To the left of the year number is the day and month of expiry in Thai.

2 minutes ago, thepdru said:

Thank you, but for everybody it will be before the Thai new year in April ? I am still confused about why it's different for different cars ?!

The tax is due about one year after you buy the car and get the permanent license tag. So if you buy your car in June, you will get your permanent license tag around September. So every year in September, you will be due to renew your registration. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thepdru said:

Different for different cars or vehicles, no. of doors, engine size fuel type, age of vehicle all contribute.

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

What happens if your car is parked up and you go past the renewal date.....are there any penalties or problems as a consequence?

You have to pay the back-tax plus a (minimal) fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What happens if your car is parked up and you go past the renewal date.....are there any penalties or problems as a consequence?

When you come to use it again you may be charged the back tax to the last renewal depending on circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the UK you can SOR? the car Stored off road...I think it is called....does that exist here?

I think you can "de-register" it and get completely new plates when you start to use it again, but I have no idea of the actual process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think you can "de-register" it and get completely new plates when you start to use it again, but I have no idea of the actual process.

You have to surrender the plates and complete paperwork to "off road " the vehicle. This stops liability. (afaik)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You can renew your tax sticker 3 months before the current one expire.

Note, if your car is 5 years or older, your also need a vehicle inspection. 

I think it is 7 years for cars, 5 years for motorcycles.  My car is coming up to being 7 years old, and last year when I renewed the tax, they informed me that next year I will have to have the car checked for roadworthiness... what ever that really means here. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

...a what???

All cars over seven years old and motorbikes over five years old must undergo regular inspection by official test centres. Find out where and how to get a car tested…

Cars older than seven years and motorbikes older than five years need to undergo a safety inspection every year in order to be issued with a document called a TorRorOr, which certifies that the vehicle is roadworthy. No reminder is issued, but without the TorRorOr it is not possible to get the annual tax sticker once the car is over seven years old.

Note: All cars must display a tax sticker on the windscreen as proof that car tax has been paid. The ticket has an expiry date. Car tax is paid annually at the local DLT office.

Testing

The local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT) does not issue the TorRorOr, but there are many private companies around Thailand that are authorised to perform this service. These companies can be identified by their official logo: a yellow gear on a blue circle.

The test includes an emissions test, an engine check and a general roadworthiness test. It will include work on:

• Lights
  • Indicators
  • Brakes
  • Steering
  • Tyres
  • Bodywork

Vehicles will also be checked to ensure that the chassis number, engine numbers and colour are identical to those in the Registration Book (Blue Book or Lem Tabian).

Car owners should take their Blue Book to the test, and motorbike owners should take their Green Book.

Passing the test

Once the car has successfully passed the roadworthiness test, the certificate (TorRorOr) will be issued. This allows the owner to obtain their annual tax sticker. The TorRorOr is handed over to the DLT when getting the tax sticker.

The annual tax rates are calculated by the age and type of the car, as well as its engine size. For vehicles up to five years old, the price is fixed against these variables. After five years, the tax will fall by 10 percent every year, up to a maximum of 50 percent.

Failing the test

If the vehicle fails the test, the owner must make repairs until the vehicle is able to pass it.

The DLT will not issue a tax sticker for a vehicle over seven years old if it does not have a TorRorOr certificate. It is illegal to drive a vehicle without an up-to-date tax sticker in Thailand, and anyone found doing so is liable to pay a fine. Late payment of tax will result in a fine of one percent of the fee every month.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, thepdru said:

hello,

In the past a broker was doing it for me but now I would like to renew my car tax sticker myself by going to the driving license office.

Do you know if it is possible to renew it now ? And does everybody has to renew it before the end of the year, every year ? Or is the date different for everybody ?

Thank you for your help.

Let the broker do it, you will have less head aches

12 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think it is 7 years for cars, 5 years for motorcycles.  My car is coming up to being 7 years old, and last year when I renewed the tax, they informed me that next year I will have to have the car checked for roadworthiness... what ever that really means here. 

Well spotted and thanks for correcting me.

It is 7 years for cars.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Failing the test

You mean it's possible to actually fail??

The one time I actually attended a "test" (of our ancient Beemer) the man spent most of the time taking rubbings of the VIN and engine number. Then "test drove" the car from the "in" space to the "out" space (via the emissions testing station where he didn't bother stopping). Then filled out the certificate and we all went home.

Whilst our pickup was my regular driver my step-son got the test (including the emissions test chit), tax, and compulsory insurance without the vehicle. Talk about "MOT by post".

Since we've had a second vehicle it actually goes for the test, now 12 years old and it's never failed.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Yes you still have to pay the backdated road tax,,, and also an " + adjustment bht",,, for late payment!

Unfortunately there is no such legal notification of a Statury Off Road Notification (Sorn). ????????????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I did a SORN but kept the same plates. Otherwise my 20 year old car would have 2020 plates.!    LOL  

5 hours ago, Kildonan said:

Yes you still have to pay the backdated road tax,,, and also an " + adjustment bht",,, for late payment!

Unfortunately there is no such legal notification of a Statury Off Road Notification (Sorn). ????????????????????

This is my understanding as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I did a SORN but kept the same plates. Otherwise my 20 year old car would have 2020 plates.!    LOL  

Do you remember the actual process?

It may be useful to other members who want to store a vehicle for a long period.

That said, I note another poster who says that there's not an equivalent to a SORN in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do you remember the actual process?

It may be useful to other members who want to store a vehicle for a long period.

That said, I note another poster who says that there's not an equivalent to a SORN in Thailand.

Woops... A misunderstanding !!!!! between myself and MrsJ. It seems there is a procedure similar to SORN here in Thailand....