High season? What high season? Thai tourism has a gap year.

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The uptake of the much-hyped Special Tourist Visa has been dismal

It's quite interesting when you consider how popular the single entry tourist visa and 30 day extension to it was.  So many people staying in Thailand for 90 days. 

Where have they all gone?

Is it just that they don't meet the new requirements?  Or have they arranged something else?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

This article talks about European  Holidaymakers to blame for Covid 2nd wave and subsequent lockdowns all over Europe

European holidaymakers to blame for COVID second wave, says health expert

https://www.euronews.com/2020/10/28/european-holidaymakers-to-blame-for-covid-second-wave-says-health-expert

So if Thailand opens up no quarantine would it go into a countrywide lockdown

There are question marks over how accurate and reliable these rapid tests are

1) They aren't meant to be given to everyone only for symptomatic people

How accurate are rapid COVID-19 tests?

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/policy/health-care/how-accurate-are-rapid-covid-19-tests.html

Why Trump’s Rapid-Testing Plan Worries Scientists

Experts were already divided on the right way to deploy new coronavirus tests. Then the White House barged ahead.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/10/do-rapid-antigen-tests-have-accuracy-problem/616681/

I'm wondering who is going to pay for all these tests and for the vaccines when they arrive.I fear that I will need to pay for a vaccine,pay for a test at the airport and then pay for any certificates to show I have been vaccinated and am free from covid19.Then rinse and repeat when I return.The government here in the Netherlands will want vaccination certificates when anybody fetches up at the border according to a report in the papers.No way am I going to travel untill all I need

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not hear ANY discussion about what sacrifices Thailand is willing to make, to get the tourists, and that multi trillion baht cash cow back.

They don't even particularly like to admit that they need tourists, let alone sacrifice to get them back.

The attitude of many Thais has always been: "we don't like you, we don't want you, we don't need you, but we are entitled to your money; get in, spend up, flip off!"

It seems to me that they could have opened up on the same old visas, but simply said you need travel insurance that covers covid and you have to quarantine for 14 days.  Not perfect, but if it was only quarantine that was the issue I can imagine a lot more people being interested.  There must be an agenda somewhere.  Quarantine should be the catch-all and surely many hotels could be quarantine hotels.

It could of course be that the old system was so unreliable, with zero checks being carried out, that there would be no way to actually ensure that people had the right insurance or were going to go through with quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Things are changing in Thailand, and i don't think it's ever going to be the old Backpackers paradise that it once was. 

Assuming covid eventually goes away, the day that Thailand opens back up they will be clamoring for tourists of any spend.  They will probably discount everything, free visas, free extensions, cheap hotels, whatever.

All the workers will come back down from the villages and head to the entertainment zones.  With probably more than there were previously competing for business as they try to recover from the recession.

Things that were being tightened up on will be loosened up again.  People will value tourists more than they had started to pre-covid.

If covid never goes away, who knows, but if it goes, there will be so many crusty backpackers in Thailand you won't know whether to poop or go blind!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

High season? What high season?

when 1000 people are dying a day and my life is on the line, the last thing I wanna do is travel half way around the world just to end up in a dicey soi 6 bar and start buying lady drinks to middle aged, bored, loud and alcoholic prostitutes in the middle of the day in a hot and humid environment

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

I am not a long term Thailand expert.  But in my 11 visits from USA  thd last 4 years  I have enjoyed comparing prices of everything.   My mind is constantly covering baht to USD.  My opinion is there has been huge profit taking for many years.   We read many stories of the 2 week millionaires  types.  I believe it is these sorts who have spoiled Thailand.   They never complained about cab fares or no meter use or cabs declining a pickup,, so you see what that mess had become.    I have partied with the types who  pay an ugly gal to sit with us and drink our drinks and eat our food.  He acted like I was stingy. But I said I dont pay for things like this.   Of course his story is of the guy who blew it all and now old and in debt  amd last I knew  he still rather take a taxi from the airport rather than the link. 

How can a hotel in BKK who pays workers 15,000 baht a year with massive overtime  justify prices like large US cities? 

Scuba dive trips the same price as the Caribbean for such destroyed, fishless, reefs with vis that would make you take a day off to go deep sea fishing in the Caribbean.   Oh yeah there is no deep sea fishing Industry because the oceans are so depleted.  Look at the trash everywhere.   Its such a tourist attraction to learn the trash is just placed on the sidewalk in BKK.  Or a trip up country reveals burning fields of sugarcane or corn up high in Chiang Rai its so fun to see the hillside forests stripped to grow corn on a 35 degree  hillside.  

I think Thailand is a better place for domestic tourists and from my contacts and IG stars i watch many are enjoying Thailand more now than ever.   

Rapid covid tests and no quarantine idea is asinine Mike.   

Very few tourists without a loved one is going to risk traveling to Thailand now even with no insurance,  bank account requirements (6months <deleted>), or quarantine.   

I think you expats  lucky to be in Thailand shoukd just enjoy it now.  Who in their right mind would want it back to what I have seen?

Reefs with 8 cattleboats full of non swimming snorkelers,  some standing on coral for selfish. Beaches below limestone monuments from Krabi to Koh Phi phi crowded beyond sensibility, oozing greed $$$.   

I say enjoy the popularity on tinder.  

Mass tourism is not coming back  in the 20's. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

The way they write these articles you'd swear that Thailand is the only country in the world to have been affected by the virus. Get a grip, for goodness sake, it's a calamity for most countries, and given how lightly the Thai population has got off in terms of deaths due to C19 it's less of a tragedy here than in many other countries. The government's ban on foreign tourism is simply aimed at keeping things that way, not on victimising the bars and hotels favoured by foreigners. 

Most dont  die though.  Over blown hysteria 

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, adammike said:

I'm wondering who is going to pay for all these tests and for the vaccines when they arrive.I fear that I will need to pay for a vaccine,pay for a test at the airport and then pay for any certificates to show I have been vaccinated and am free from covid19.Then rinse and repeat when I return.The government here in the Netherlands will want vaccination certificates when anybody fetches up at the border according to a report in the papers.No way am I going to travel untill all I need

Fair enough.  Covid test and vaccine should becall thats needed for intl travel. Including Thailand.  Do away with the ridiculous amount of paperwork

• Like 2

Oh and all Americans are being asked to skip Thanksgiving with family,  Chicago is in stay at home order, case numbers and hospitalizations rising in every dam state but Mikey and others thinks Thailand should open up?  And  quality western tourists will come save the day..    people planning travel have lots of time and are using online social media more than  ever and Thailand has more black eyes than I can list.  People are calling me asking what is going on with all the riots and I tell them the story of the autobahn man and the #1 traffic deaths title, largest wealth discrepancies. High proce of <deleted> beer, and avocados,  and on and on.  You guys are  being selfish thinking of your rich tourist business owners or poor bar girls. What about the 70%-80% who are living a 90% normal  life now.  A breakout of covid would ensure an overthrow of the government.   Right now hoso never had it so good.  Desolate resorts. Uncrowded roads and airplanes, high baht to $.

Edited by Elkski
  • Confused 2

Car Rental companies are now quoting High Season rates.....................on what justified basis can only be increased local demand not stemming from overseas tourists.

The official answer being HQ policy dictating the rates as if there was no covid-19. 

15 hours ago, tonray said:

Some areas where foreigners don't make up the bulk of visits are BOOMING. Went to Bang Saen Beach this weekend...got stiffed by private condo owner who failed to show up....took half a day to find a hotel with an available room. Traffic a nightmare...wall to wall people in every restuarant and the beack walk was packed. I think Thailand's tourist areas will evolve (or devolve) as the case may be to attract and accomodate domestic tourists and do just fine...it will just take some time.

That's fine but will they generate the same amount of money as the farang tourists ?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think regardless of whatever restrictions are or aren't in place for entry to Thailand, think about the potential tourist.

I find it hard to believe (exclude China) that your average Western tourist, pummeled by the economic impact of the pandemic reads the news that Thailand has (if and when) lifted travel restrictions, says 'Thank God for that, get me on a plane'

I just don't see it. Most countries are reeling from the effects, lockdowns, business closures, unemployment.

Pretty sure one of the last things on folks minds is hopping on a plane to Thailand, and they are probably more focused on rebuilding family finances, and just staying safe after this appalling year! 

Actually, I disagree with this. While a lot of people have lost their job, most have not. Even if it was say as many as 10% of people who have lost their job, that's still 90% of people who had employment before Covid, still have employment now.

I can only talk for my country and my group of friends, but everyone I know is gagging to get back to Thailand. They've had enough of not being able to travel and the warm weather and the party atmosphere of Thailand is a strong lure. Surveys here show that as soon as people can travel international, they will. There is a lot of pent up demand!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tonray said:

Some areas where foreigners don't make up the bulk of visits are BOOMING. Went to Bang Saen Beach this weekend...got stiffed by private condo owner who failed to show up....took half a day to find a hotel with an available room. Traffic a nightmare...wall to wall people in every restuarant and the beack walk was packed. I think Thailand's tourist areas will evolve (or devolve) as the case may be to attract and accomodate domestic tourists and do just fine...it will just take some time.

School holidays at present, be busy for the next few weeks

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

the problem with this administration is that every time they have a good idea they then kill it by adding loads of petty restrictions

keep it simple stupids and you'll get the results you want

Restrictions get added because the good idea is a show-only for the public, they don.'t really mean it or want it and they wilfully kill it by adding endless and outragious restrictions. Thai standard since many years, only show, no substance.

• Like 2