Divorce and Visa question (urgent)

So.. me and wife decided to divorce after 7-8 years marriage. No kids.

I did my 1 year extension non-o using an agency last July. they are also doing my 90 days. (did first one)

Im also working with my non-o visa and have work permit. 

if im not mistaken, after divorce i need to go to immigration and tell them about the story and leave the country, right?

What if i stay until july till my visa ends? Im not doing anything with immigration... official things.. my my workpermit renewel is next year september. My wife said let do it quietly. She will not inform the immigration and etc. I also know when we divorce no one reports to immigration too. So after my visa ends i can just leave the country and get a non-b and come back. Of course if things are better with covid till next july (2021)

Is there any chance i can do this? will immigration know i got divorce from the amphue we divorced?

Do i have any other option to continue staying in thailand without leaving after divorce. 

PS: because of her very high position in thai government she wants to divorce like coming Monday. Because she must report her status and everything at the end of this month.

thanks a lot @ubonjoe and others...

12 minutes ago, glegolo said:

If Immigration do NOT find out about your divorce, than just go there when this extension ends and apply for a new extension, maybe based on retirement....

glegolo

im only 41.

there is no way they can find out.. i have nothing with immigration... no official things.. just going to my work and home.. sometimes beer at local bar. 

OP, you have 2 things going on here. Your current extension is not an issue that continues. Prior to it ending you should plan for next extension based on retirement if your 50+.

The other aspect is your working. Think you need one of the experts i.e Ubonjoe advise re that. 

Good luck. Good that the X being helpful.

Edit.....I typed post same time op indicated age also job type. Working from home etc.

I suggest you do nothing. Just continue

What a confusing blog!!!

The only thing certain that I can understand is that you are aged 41  -therefore retirement does not apply.

You could have a visa based on marriage -you have not stated this.

You also mention having a work permit.If so this has nothing to do with your marriage status.

Do you have a visa based on marriage ?

Tell her she can have the divorce on the expiry date of your visa/extension of stay. No need to hurry. If she wants out so fast will she compensate you for your trouble? This then gives you plenty of time to get your affairs in order. 

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your extension of stay (you don't have a visa) will end on your day that you divorce. You will be on overstay then. Change your way of stay BEFORE you divorce.

Incorrect. Yes perhaps a grey area however most imm offices even if this came to their attention would allow stay till expiry of current POS

13 hours ago, problemfarang said:

will immigration know i got divorce from the amphue we divorced?

Last year I was on a non-imm O with expiry day of April 2020. I got divorced Oct 2019. Did a couple of border runs and nothing was said at border immigration. 

When visa expired I was then on the amnesty extension until September and then applied for 60 day extension on grounds of visiting daughter. Nothing was said at immigration even though I re-married in August 2020.

Immigration will only know about your divorce if you tell them. If you do tell them then you have to leave immediately.

2 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Last year I was on a non-imm O with expiry day of April 2020. I got divorced Oct 2019. Did a couple of border runs and nothing was said at border immigration. 

When visa expired I was then on the amnesty extension until September and then applied for 60 day extension on grounds of visiting daughter. Nothing was said at immigration even though I re-married in August 2020.

Immigration will only know about your divorce if you tell them. If you do tell them then you have to leave immediately.

thnx this is what i needed to know. So as i thought just stay away from immigration door will do the magic.

17 hours ago, fishtank said:

Providing you have a 12 month extension. (not really clear)

It will be valid until it expires in July.

No it won't, not if he got the extension based on marriage to a Thai national. Once the marriage end, the permission ends with it. 

Whether he wants to risk not telling immigration, up to him. As he's already using an agency, and paying a higher price, he should ask them.

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

thnx this is what i needed to know. So as i thought just stay away from immigration door will do the magic.

Yes, but unless like this poster, you get remarried, then you'll have to find a new reason to justify your extension.

As you use an agency already, check with them.

Also, seems you and your wife, about to be ex, are on reasonably good terms. Why the rush to divorce? Can't see that benefits anyone unless you/she has someone else. If that's not the case, why not stay married till nearer your extension time? Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, but unless like this poster, you get remarried, then you'll have to find a new reason to justify your extension.

Also, seems you and your wife, about to be ex, are on reasonably good terms. Why the rush to divorce? Can't see that benefits anyone unless you/she has someone else. If that's not the case, why not stay married till nearer your extension time? Just a thought.

like i said in the main post, because of her position in the government. They need to report themselves (everything about themselves) every year. and its the end of this month. Otherwise she was ok till next july.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

well if i remarry all im going to do is leave the country and come back and marry and get a new non-o visa. simple

my main plan is stay till july and leave the country get my non-b from work and come back. My company did all needs. we even have 100K covid insurance. 

thnx

Better to change your visa to NON-B.  Ask your agent, if he is good he knows how to do it. It is possible for some "fee".

Staying here after divorce with this stamp is illegal.  You got your visa based on marriage,  when marriage ends, visa follows. 

Immigration will never know, if nobody inform them. But there is some small risk to have much bigger problems than switching your visa to NON-B.  

16 minutes ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

Better to change your visa to NON-B.  Ask your agent, if he is good he knows how to do it. It is possible for some "fee".

Staying here after divorce with this stamp is illegal.  You got your visa based on marriage,  when marriage ends, visa follows. 

Immigration will never know, if nobody inform them. But there is some small risk to have much bigger problems than switching your visa to NON-B.  

i think changing my non-o to non-b can be done by only agent. because i never heard of in normal ways. then what can happen when im doing my work permit or else? so thats a higher risk. Im still with plan A: wait till july or any suitable time before that. leave and get a new non-b and come back

thnx

Just now, problemfarang said:

i think changing my non-o to non-b can be done by only agent. because i never heard of in normal ways. then what can happen when im doing my work permit or else? so thats a higher risk. Im still with plan A: wait till july or any suitable time before that. leave and get a new non-b and come back. also if i remember they write where i work or something like on non-b visa. so i think its really complicated.

thnx

I got caught out many years ago, was working on my marriage visa extensions for several years. Got divorced, got found out when I applied to change to non B. Was told I should have left the country within 24 hours of divorce. Luckily I had a good relationship with immi and they just fined me the 20k and made a note on my overstay stamp that it was just an oversight.

It is not OK.

A divorce works in the same way as your employment termination on a B extension. They give 7 days.

If you are working safer to have a B ,(It used to be law)

Are you paying tax ?

I would sort it out ASAP 

You may have to leave the country & return (a major hassle at present) so why the urgency to

cut the chord ?

On 11/23/2020 at 9:58 PM, soi3eddie said:

Tell her she can have the divorce on the expiry date of your visa/extension of stay. No need to hurry. If she wants out so fast will she compensate you for your trouble? This then gives you plenty of time to get your affairs in order. 

Quote: 

PS: because of her very high position in Thai government she wants to divorce like coming Monday. Because she must report her status and everything at the end of this month.

She is being amenable ie not making life hard for him, why rock the boat?

Archived