Electric fence to deter predators

Had 12 ducks and 4 chickens savagely killed and eaten by a pack of soi dogs the previous Wednesday. My wife called me around 2 am from the farm (I have nominated myself rice security this year) to come home and experience a horror movie. I had to dispatch 3 ducks and 2 chickens myself that morning with severe injuries and a dozen of birds was injured but we nursed them looking OK.

A piglet, countless chickens and a cat got killed that night. A calve got chased into the rice paddy but was rescued later.  Apparently the pack seem to frequent the Temple and from there they gather momentum and numbers. This is the third such an attack since August.

I am currently building 2x simplistic self defense electrical high voltage discharge devices from a YouTube video, to protect us at home if this may happen again and they attack me or my wife or gain access into our house.

I fixed everything up better than before but fear and know now it might not be enough to keep them out when they come in force. I have seen 12v electric cow fence energizers that can be hooked up on a smaller solar system for around the 1000 Baht range on Lazada. I have 2 x 12 linear meters pig pens and a 16 linear meters bird cage I want to electrify.

Does anyone have any idea if it these devices actually works as described, and will it also work to deter dogs specifically?

Had dogs who killed deer, and no electric fence in the world would stop them. We did some electric collar shock training, and it was hard to convert them when they first got blood on their teeth. 

You need  fence off the erea you keep your ducks propely. 

As well you need to train the dogs by leading them to the fence 3 times so the know what it is and where it happens. 

Electric fence is mostly to keep animals inside, and not for outside treaths. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You need  fence off the erea you keep your ducks propely.

I have a 2.2m wall around the house and a proper fence in front with the lowest spot 1.8m. The birds are fenced off with 2 sets of plastic net and the actual cages where they sleep has metal net fencing on fully roofed with lockable wooden doors.

In the pic is some months before I set up the outer run nets, the poles already planted. 20201102_101832.thumb.jpg.7a85c64d0624fd78b16d06ee77d2a14c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have some fun...

I have a 90 lb bow and some home made non lethal rubber tip arrows that has send some dogs and cats scattering a poop strip on the lawn, but 6 dogs at once? In the middle of he night? 

Also don't want to be know as the farang killing animals in the village, high profile - not my style.

We have had the cheap electric fencers,they don't work.

We bought a good one (Gallagher) and that works!

We have not had a dog in here for years and if they do come our pitbull is waiting for them.

The wire in the driveway is just a few inches above ground so you can just drive over top.

to let the (outside) dogs know it is there just hang a few pieces of bacon on the wire and make sure the ground is moist.

Once is enough.

Do the dogs actually break into the pens?

What kind of wire are you using?

Try to trap the dogs and rehome them?FAAAR away.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

I have a 2.2m wall around the house and a proper fence in front with the lowest spot 1.8m. The birds are fenced off with 2 sets of plastic net and the actual cages where they sleep has metal net fencing on fully roofed with lockable wooden doors.

How are the miscreants getting in? Closing off the access is your first priority.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Ever tried poison? 

Neighbour killed his own dog by poison, and not only the dogs you risking. Stupid local solution to dog problems, or pick them up and drive them to next village and dump them. <deleted> idiots. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

In the pic is some months before I set up the outer run nets, the poles already planted. 20201102_101832.thumb.jpg.7a85c64d0624fd78b16d06ee77d2a14c.jpg

This is what you need to do ???? my dog kennel. 

7B9D4C5A-2438-4344-B03E-69D4F2B6845A.jpeg

• Haha 1

As an ex farmer I sympathise  with your problems.

Unfortunately once a hungry animal has tasted free range food it will continue to attempt to find more.    Even a well fed / trained dog if not cared for properly at all times can turn in to a chicken killer, often once they have enjoyed the chase and the free meal it remains a temptation for them.

A friends house has a 180cm wall that their dog can jump onto and over in both directions, even with trees branches and string in the way ( the string I got the family to remove incase the dog got caught.   He is a big and powerful dog ( about 20kg ).

Dogs can did a hole large enough to go under an electric fence, even climb a tree if the branches are in the right place.       You could try building a rabbit proof style fence with part of it under the ground.

I used to work in free range pig farming, if they could get their back under the lower wire, sometimes even if they touched it the dogs would not go out.

With cows / cattle you can train.

With hungry feral dogs you cannot.

Is there no one of standing in the local farming community with a similar problem that you can discuss with or local govt house livestock department ?    Perhaps try the livestock department.

Of course an electric fence can injure a human, it should be monitored daily and notices placed in clear view both written and picture format.

I wish you good luck with your endevour.

1 hour ago, douglasspade said:

I have a 90 lb bow and some home made non lethal rubber tip arrows that has send some dogs and cats scattering a poop strip on the lawn, but 6 dogs at once? In the middle of he night? 

Also don't want to be know as the farang killing animals in the village, high profile - not my style.

Nice, ok, maybe this then ?

Shooting 10 Arrows at Once... - YouTube

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

This is what you need to do ???? my dog kennel. 

Comfy lounger, hammock, are you sure it's not really your man-cave?

The one and only time we had a dog issue one beast got in under our main gate (access now closed) and wiped out our poultry except the guinea fowl who roost in the trees. The chooks now have a secure home like your "kennel", still free-range during the day.

The dog in question (conveniently) didn't have an owner but it was "disappeared" by the villagers, I don't know or wish to know what happened to it (probably went to a farm in the country).

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Comfy lounger, hammock, are you sure it's not really your man-cave?

The one and only time we had a dog issue one beast got in under our main gate (access now closed) and wiped out our poultry except the guinea fowl who roost in the trees. The chooks now have a secure home like your "kennel", still free-range during the day.

The dog in question (conveniently) didn't have an owner but it was "disappeared" by the villagers, I don't know or wish to know what happened to it (probably went to a farm in the country).

I thought the same.

Even a tire. Never knew that dogs like to jump through them.

The hammock. I can already see the dog relaxing and having a coffee.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I thought the same.

Even a tire. Never knew that dogs like to jump through them.

The hammock. I can already see the dog relaxing and having a coffee.

Not to forget the fan, the bathtub and fresh water from the borehole.

IMG20200826102245.jpg

IMG20200918130331.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jvs said:

We have had the cheap electric fencers,they don't work.

We bought a good one (Gallagher) and that works!

We have not had a dog in here for years and if they do come our pitbull is waiting for them.

The wire in the driveway is just a few inches above ground so you can just drive over top.

to let the (outside) dogs know it is there just hang a few pieces of bacon on the wire and make sure the ground is moist.

Once is enough.

What kind of wire are you using?

Try to trap the dogs and rehome them?FAAAR away.

The cheap ones do work we have used on for some years  for the cattle without any problems ,our dogs have had a shock ,like you said only once they soon have some respect ,you would need at least 2 strands of wire one about 8-9 inchs off the ground the other 18 inches ,the wire needs to be thick,  I use a 14 swg, and tight ,for our cattle I use steel pipe knocked in to the ground as posts and electric fence insulators .and a wire tensioner, and a good ground rod,

For a Gallagher fence unit try ppfence.co, they are in Pathumthani north of Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Ever tried poison? 

19 hours ago, Tagged said:

Neighbour killed his own dog by poison,

Yup, not the route I can and want to take as my birds roam free on the property for some hours every day.

This is not a problem of the local soi dogs and cats, they lie just outside and do not attack or eat any birds what I have seen. The pack of "wild" soi dogs roam around, so I will never know when the the next wave will be at my village.

19 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes they chewed through 2 sets of pvc netting as well as ripping of the metal nets - think it's called  "welded wire mesh" for fencing animals. I need a pliers to cut through. They were able to gnaw a piece and it look like it came undone at the welding and one could go in. The other metal net was totally grabbed and ripped of.

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

How are the miscreants getting in? Closing off the access is your first priority.

As we chased the dogs from the property one jumped on my compost bin and onto our roof, and made a 3m leap to my single brick wide wall and ran on the wall for 20m before leaping to the neighbors bale store and gone. I have seen local soi dogs climbing fences, nothing new in my village experiences.

As I am the only one with ducks in the village, and them being natural security, when the pack dogs came through they were obviously noisy and I think that attracted the dogs. They ate the ducks but only killed the chickens.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do you reckon they could tackle chain-link fence like Tagged has on his kennel?

Probably going to be your next upgrade. Would need to be buried in the ground like the dingo fence.

Add a couple of these for good measure!EAE62A4F-333F-4D13-9A32-A174D978D363.thumb.png.6cbacc6ce0d7ac0aebd1aa5afe98cb51.png

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do you reckon they could tackle chain-link fence like Tagged has on his kennel?

I am sure that will stop them. Looking at price I have to weight options. There is a guy in the village that has closed his fighting cocks with a roll of reinforced concrete mesh, that is made up of 150mm squares, the steel is about 3-4mm thick. If I paint that with some grey primer and plant it in the ground about 400mm deep tied to my poles I guess that might be a cheap and easy to maintain/upkeep solution for some years.

Was wishing for a way to chase them off so they do not target me, so I am researching a friend suggestion of a  homemade electrical fence charger that uses a starter coil. Simple enough to put together, and run of a 12v voltage setup.

Edited by douglasspade
was never good with spelling at school!

1 hour ago, douglasspade said:

I am sure that will stop them. Looking at price I have to weight options. There is a guy in the village that has closed his fighting cocks with a roll of reinforced concrete mesh, that is made up of 150mm squares, the steel is about 3-4mm thick. If I paint that with some grey primer and plant it in the ground about 400mm deep tied to my poles I guess that might be a cheap and easy to maintain/upkeep solution for some years.

Was wishing for a way to chase them off so they do not target me, so I am researching a friend suggestion of a  homemade electrical fence charger that uses a starter coil. Simple enough to put together, and run of a 12v voltage setup.

They attack only after dark, or is any time in daytime as well? 

On 12/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, douglasspade said:

Had 12 ducks and 4 chickens savagely killed and eaten by a pack of soi dogs the previous Wednesday.

Does anyone have any idea if it these devices actually works as described, and will it also work to deter dogs specifically?

douglasspade

In my opinion the answer to your question is Yes the electric fence will work.

We have some chickens and they were attacked one night and luckily we only lost 2 so the missus went out and bought an electric fence and rigged it up straight away.

About 10 o'clock that night there was an almighty screech followed by another and then yelping as they run off.  They came back a couple more times and the missus said she heard them yelp and they haven't bothered us since.

20201207_171511.jpg

This is the unit she bought

20201207_171514.jpg

20201207_171526.jpg

In these 2 pictures you can see how she rigged it up. The bottom wire is about 10cm above the grund and then about 15cm between the next 2.

20201207_171543.jpg

Below is our other hen house that I built after the dog attack and I used the chain link wire and haven't had any issues so far.

CHK-2.jpg

below is the "raising pens". I have lately taken to letting the chickens free roam if they want to by opening the gate in the morning but I shut it every evening.

CHK-8.jpg

I was watching the "Dog Whisper" on TV the other night and he made the comment that there are only 2 things a dog will die for, the chance to mate and food.

So if the dogs attacking your chickens are truly wild they will be hungry and do almost anything to get food.  I don't believe the ones that attacked our chickens were wild so maybe not so hungry.

Good luck.

Edited by OOTAI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, douglasspade said:

My electric fence unit is 900 baht ,works well a Gallagher ,they are made in NZ ,are about 5000 baht ,you could use you pvc netting and an electric fence ,,the pvc netting will give you the height if they try to climb up ,and with the  electric fence  should stop them .

• Thanks 1