Special Tourist Visa: Thailand opens to the world - But will the tourists really come?

webfact

On 12/9/2020 at 8:39 AM, Jack Mountain said:

Bring the Baht down 25% then the people will come ... money talks!

Thailand is in a good position financially . It's impossible for the Baht to be lowered in value . It's others countries  monetary value which don't come up to the value of the Baht.

It my lose its value next year if tourists don't arrive . The Thai Foreign Currency Account (TFCA,) is overflowing and that's what's helping to keep the Bahts value. Not many tourists who come for a short break check their currency against the Baht.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Olivie said:

Because it's an overpriced jail time?
I dont imagine myself jailed in a room for 14 days and pay $1.500 for that...

It is what it is . It is the only way to get back in Thailand at the moment. When you have been apart from family for 10 months then for me I was prepared to pay ฿40.000 for my quarantene. It is a good modern hotel with good Thai food included in the price brought to your door 3 times a day.

2 covid tests included in the price which at a clinic are ฿6000 each a nurse coming to your door to check your temperature twice daily,free wifi and coffee making facilities in room.

A big enough room to allow exercise and a good sized TV.

I hardly think it is a rip off if you way up what you are getting. However for a holiday maker I agree it is not worth it but for an expat who is returning home to the one he loves and a place he calls home then for me I am happy to do the time as I know soon I will get my life back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlkik said:

It is what it is . It is the only way to get back in Thailand at the moment. When you have been apart from family for 10 months then for me I was prepared to pay ฿40.000 for my quarantene. It is a good modern hotel with good Thai food included in the price brought to your door 3 times a day.

2 covid tests included in the price which at a clinic are ฿6000 each a nurse coming to your door to check your temperature twice daily,free wifi and coffee making facilities in room.

A big enough room to allow exercise and a good sized TV.

I hardly think it is a rip off if you way up what you are getting. However for a holiday maker I agree it is not worth it but for an expat who is returning home to the one he loves and a place he calls home then for me I am happy to do the time as I know soon I will get my life back.

I understand that for you, who has a family there, you have to.

But I guess that for 95% of the 40 millions last year tourists, they won't accept that: Too much money and too much time lost there for holidays.

• Like 1

If an individual it’s not so bad, for me, my Thai partner and 5 year old son the cheapest ASQ Hotel I have been quoted is around £2000. On top of that travel from the North East of England to either Manchester or London with a stop over in a hotel depending on flight times, pre flight tests then 3 airfares. I wouldn’t receive much change out of £5000.

I am currently paying rent for a house in Pattaya, the owner has reduced the rent due to us not being there. Currently decided to ‘ride out the storm’ . The only issue is extending my Thai partners Visa month by month which I have managed to do quoting Exceptional Circumstances but no idea how long we continue doing so 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If an individual it’s not so bad, for me, my Thai partner and 5 year old son the cheapest ASQ Hotel I have been quoted is around £2000. On top of that travel from the North East of England to either Manchester or London with a stop over in a hotel depending on flight times, pre flight tests then 3 airfares. I wouldn’t receive much change out of £5000.

I am currently paying rent for a house in Pattaya, the owner has reduced the rent due to us not being there. Currently decided to ‘ride out the storm’ . The only issue is extending my Thai partners Visa month by month which I have managed to do quoting Exceptional Circumstances but no idea how long we continue doing so 

I have spent about 4 grand in total. But had to get back as being apart from my mrs and my normal life was destroying me.

The free quarantene for Thai is rumoured to be coming to an end and they will have to pay for an ASQ the same as foreigners do now.

I’m ready, willing and able to visit Thailand today. But due to the tourist restrictions imposed I’m biding my time back in the UK. Was in Pattaya last March when this COVID storm kicked off and had to cut short my vacation.

My intentions then was to return and spend 4 weeks over the Christmas period. Alas not to be.

Once the Thai government take a reality pill and return to pre COVID travel conditions, I will make my bookings to return 

"Special Tourist Visa: Thailand opens to the world - But will the tourists really come? "

Of course not. Who goes on a vacation if you have to be locked up for 14 days in a room.

I guess a hermit,  but how may of the go to Thailand? 

The trouble for Thailand is that they have not had a real 1st wave.

The vaccination, like flu, in real life is probably 50% to 60% effective, like Flu vaccine.  This is very normal and will be shown once  tens of millions are vaccinated - not just tens of thousands.

In a country, like the UK, or USA, or Italy etc... where that been solid 1st and 2nd waves, there is now natural immunity levels around 40% of the population.

The vaccine on top of this will push it up so that Covid is gone.

Now you get dumb countries like Australia, Thailand, New Zealand - with no natural immunity...........the vaccination will not prevent a  wave of Covid infections going on for one or two or three years - it will become endemic in these countries........as there is no natural immunity and death of the weak which should have happened.

So its highly likely Thailand will remain closed for at least another 2 years and probably multiple vaccinations of every person in Thailand to try to get the immunity they lack from not having a hard 1st and 2nd wave like the USA and UK and EU.

Short term gain.................LONG TERM PAIN.

UK/US/EU have had short term pain........but will have no long term pain now.

Once the EU and UK and US are all free of Covid...........places like Thailand will be on the "no travel" list, as they will have prolonged endemic Covid in the years to come.

Thats the reality of what is very possibly going to happen.

• Sad 1

And before anyone says anything.

Most flu vaccines are 50% to 60% effective.

The 95% quoted is use of the vaccine in the current climate - with masks and hand washing and social distancing.

Once life goes back to normal - that 95% will drop down to 50% to 60% effectiveness at preventing Covid.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:44 AM, sanuk711 said:

And just how do you do that Jack ??

To stop the rise it is easy.  Just get the US to stop printing Dollars, The Bank of England to stop priniting Pounds and the European Central Bank to stop printing Euros.  Those are three of the biggest problems.  The problem is not Thailand.  Printing all this money just drops their currencies and therefore ones not printing as much go up.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 3:04 AM, mlkik said:

Only long stay tourists will come as no short time tourists will pay for 15 nights in quarantene. However the Thai government must keep quarantene as it is essential to prevent a covid outbreak here.

They are now having a problem from Thai workers returning from Myanmar and sneaking back into the country and not quarantening and being found positive.

I am now on my 3rd day in a ASQ in Bangkok and have no complaints as I have just come fro the UK where 60,000 people have died from covid 19.

Most of them would probably died anyway within a short term. Covid just gave them the final push. 

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

You are completely missing the point.

The virus is a killer both in health and economic terms , a ballance needs to be struck.

Any administration that only concentrates on one factor is simply storing up future problems.

And Thailand is only going in one direction.

• Like 1

Coming next:

The "Special Shopping Visa".

Prospective applicants must pre-authorize purchases from premium Icon Siam shops in an amount no less than 300,000 baht. 14 day Quarantine will be done within the Icon Siam Mall, upon exit tourist shoppers must show reciepts totaling at least 300K baht at which point they will be allowed to transit to the airport. Those who cannot show evidence of 300K baht in purchases will be detained in IDC until such time they can spend 300K.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now they are talking about the VISA EXEMPTION...

After the prime minister told officials to hurry up and relax restrictions for foreigners entering Thailand, the recent proposal to extend the on-arrival visa exemption for tourists from 30 to 45 days is quickly moving forward and will be presented to the Cabinet.

The 15 days added on to the visa exemption is intended to make up for the 2 week quarantine required for those entering the country. Officials hope the scheme will lure in more foreign visitors. At the moment, foreign tourists can only enter Thailand under the pre-issued 60 day tourist visa or the new Special Tourist Visa, which is allows a 90 day stay that can be extended twice, adding up to around 9 months.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/45-day-tourist-visa-exemption-proposal-to-be-presented-to-cabinet

So now they realize they have "to hurry up and relax restrictions for foreigners"...

Edited by Olivie
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:19 AM, RedReding said:

Everyone who owns a house or has a rental contract should be allowed to self quarantine at home. Maybe the next step?

I proposed that a few months back for those married to Thai's and was flamed for it.  It can be done - I believe Singapore requires a tracker anklet to be worn, that would work.

Being allowed to home quarantine would solve my problem - and that of thousands of others who would normally visit their wives and/or families on a regular basis.  To spend just 2 weeks with my wife I'd need to take a month off. I'm self employed so that is possible but the cost, including loss of earnings, would be over 400,000 baht each time - hence I haven't been back since March.

I'd happily comply with home quarantine but I accept that some might not - therefore I don't see anything wrong with the anklet idea. In several countries, these anklets are used as part of the sentencing of those who commit criminal offences - they are tamper proof (not foolproof) and work well. There would of course have to be other measures such as your wife would have to stay with you the entire time but for some, its workable.

Something should be done - I really feel for kids that haven't seen their dad for 9 months - and despite the weekly visa announcements, there's no end in sight.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1