Painting info

My exterior walls have been painted with a water based paint for the past 15 years. During that time they have

been re-painted 3 times. I now want to paint with an oil based paint. What sort of prep work do I have to do?

Cheers

2 hours ago, sticky said:

My exterior walls have been painted with a water based paint for the past 15 years. During that time they have

been re-painted 3 times. I now want to paint with an oil based paint. What sort of prep work do I have to do?

Cheers

The simple answer is don’t put oil over latex. So sand down to the basic material then begin with primer.

• Like 1

Any painting should have a primer/sealer first. Available everywhere. It does smell but only for a few hours. Then paint with two coats (not thinned strait from the pot) with a good exterior paint. I have always found Captain to be first class. But their are many others. If done properly should last for at least 10 years. 

Just had my house repainted and that was after 12 years without any problems. Only reason I had it done was to brighten it up. N/B any good paint isn't cheap here so don't skimp.