Video: "Farang's" motorcycle accident and rant causes much comment online

webfact

On 12/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, TSF said:

Sounds like he's new, hasn't been here very long, hasn't yet learned that he's a foreigner, it's not his country, he's just a guest here and has no rights whatsoever, and he must never get angry, or lose his temper and raise his voice to his gracious Thai hosts as it's their country and they can do just what they please and it's none of his business.

How can he be a "guest" if he doesn't have any rights? No westerners are guests in this country. in some cases treated more like criminals.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:31 AM, BangkokReady said:

Well yeah, we all know that whatever the situation a Thai will side with another Thai, even if the Thai is in the wrong and the foreigner is the victim.  Thais are super racist and don't care about foreigners, many actively despising them.

Sadly, you have to consider this when you decide whether to make Thailand your home.

In my experience, having lived here for 15 years, the majority of Thais are fine apart from when they are driving or riding. The biggest problem about making Thailand your home is having a "government" with a "PM" who wasn't elected, and poorly qualified generals mostly with only a military academy education and poor IQs.

The country is very unstable with regular coups over the years.

39 minutes ago, todlad said:

Mirrors? What mirrors?

Many bikes have no mirrors. Zero.

Mrs T pointed out the bike next to us in traffic the other day: the left hand mirror was pointing at the woman's face: her own mobile, personalised compact mirror!

The single most astonishing thing that I see motorcyclists do here is to run a red light. they do it! Amber gamblers, too.

I was looking at a customised scooter that was parked up, it looked really cool, it had a way bigger front brake disc with trendy holes drilled in it, then it dawned on me, it was so big they couldn't fit a caliper......:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, polpott said:

1. In the west a Thai DL is only valid for a few months so resident Thais need to apply for a licence in that country. They need to get the same instruction and take the same test as citizens of that country do.

2. Once having gone to the trouble of obtaining their licence, they then realise that flaunting the local driving laws will quickly result in them losing their licence.

3. From my limited experience of Thais driving in the UK, I would say that they don't make good drivers abroad either.

That's because driving and riding motorbikes is about 80% common sense, more than learning rules, and common sense is not attributed to most Thais.

21 hours ago, 473geo said:

Here is the thing Richard, my 14 year old son and any of his school friends would have negotiated this situation with no difficulty, so who is not safe to be on the roads in Thailand?

Let me get this straight, do you allow your 14 year old son to ride a motorbike on public roads? Answer please.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, faraday said:

Although the Thai m/c was clearly in the wrong, the farang didn't appear to slow down approaching an intersection.

Why did he drop the bike?  He clearly hasn't go the required skills to deal with obstacles appearing in front of him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Why did he drop the bike?  He clearly hasn't go the required skills to deal with obstacles appearing in front of him.

Do Thai folk....?

You know, an umbrella in one hand, phone in the other and a kid on the handle bars.........????..........:cheesy:

The blame the farang thread continues......????

On 12/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, Rookiescot said:

I always assume everyone else on the road is out to kill me.

I am often not disappointed. 

The first two years I was here I operated on the same assumption, and it's a safe approach. 

Now I still operate that way but know that aren't really trying to kill me. However they don't care if they accidentally do it, or even die themselves. I'm convinced that they aren't malicious but fatally negligent ; they simply don't care about killing or dying. 

Trying to kill someone requires forethought, planning, and conscious follow through. These are not common practices in the Kingdom. 

• Like 1

Everyday I start my motorcycle in CM I say "war time". Opposite riders, cars with 2 wheels on other lane, drivers who think their Honda Jazz is as long as an 18 wheeler and they need a football field to make a turn, motorcycles that take you from right and then want to make left turn, and ........

you need to estimate any possible action. 

All kind of brainless. 

3 hours ago, scammed said:

a flat front tyre on a scooter means you are instantly going down,

and there is nothing at all you can do about it.

the fact is the momentum of our bike, coupled with the need to keep balance, means there is precious little we can do about it if we get cut off from our path

B0ll0cks many times people have stepped out from the kerb and I have had no problem dealing with their actions braking or moving out in good time, the guy coming the wrong way was wrong but all the farang had to do was move out and go by, he tried to put on a display for the camera and came unstuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Do Thai folk....?

You know, an umbrella in one hand, phone in the other and a kid on the handle bars.........????..........:cheesy:

The blame the farang thread continues......????

Trans even you must agree if rather than shouting and waving his arms the farang had just eased out a yard there would have been no 'accident' the Thai guy was almost stationary waiting for him to pass.

9 minutes ago, 473geo said:

B0ll0cks many times people have stepped out from the kerb and I have had no problem dealing with their actions braking or moving out in good time, the guy coming the wrong way was wrong but all the farang had to do was move out and go by, he tried to put on a display for the camera and came unstuck.

no, his topic for the viewers was how fantastic e-bikes was to cruise around, the erratic driving by the thai caught him in a deer stir because he couldnt fathom anyone in his right senses would pull out in front of him and cut him off like that,

and given that he was driving what is essentially a bicycle,

those wiggly things are notoriously unreliable for balance if you all of the sudden has to make a change to the momentum that you didnt plan ahead.

you couldnt have done any better on that bicycle and nor could anyone else here.

just ask yourself: when you spot a bicyclist, do you automatically get nervous and calculate double the normal safety margins ?

have you ever in your entire life seen a bicyclist driving in a straight line without wiggling to keep balance ?

Edited by scammed

1 minute ago, scammed said:

no, his topic for the viewers was how fantastic e-bikes was to cruise around, the erratic driving by the thai caught him in a deer stir because he couldnt fathom anyone in his right senses would pull out in front of him and cut him off like that,

those wiggly things are notoriously unreliable for balance if you all of the sudden has to make a change to the momentum that you didnt plan ahead.

you couldnt have done any better on that bicycle and nor could anyone else here

When approaching any situation like that I would certainly not be taking my hands off the handlebars, yes I would have done far better, quite simple really give the guy a bit of room and ride by, as any Thai would have done

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

When approaching any situation like that I would certainly not be taking my hands off the handlebars, yes I would have done far better, quite simple really give the guy a bit of room and ride by, as any Thai would have done

no, you wouldnt have done any better, you would be as unable as him to change momentum on a whim,

we cant have oblivious people on the road that doesnt adhere to right of way, it is that simple

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, scammed said:

no, you wouldnt have done any better, you would be as unable as him to change momentum on a whim,

we cant have oblivious people on the road that doesnt adhere to right of way, it is that simple

On a whim, he had time to make a cooked breakfast and still pull out and go by

Edited by 473geo
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, scammed said:

you couldnt have done any better on that bicycle and nor could anyone else here.

just ask yourself: when you spot a bicyclist, do you automatically get nervous and calculate double the normal safety margins ?

have you ever in your entire life seen a bicyclist driving in a straight line without wiggling to keep balance ?

The farang guys whole demeanor was confrontational, I am in the 'right' here...... and that is when it all started to go wrong for him!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Let me get this straight, do you allow your 14 year old son to ride a motorbike on public roads? Answer please.

Yep he rides to school every day with his friends, and handles his bike way better than that farang did

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 473geo said:

On a whim, he had time to make a cooked breakfast and still pull out and go by

i get it to just over 2 seconds from the point the thai guy appeared to act erratic to the point where he completely blocked off the e-biker, you would have no time to do anything but

realize there is nothing you can do to avoid collision beside throw yourself off the bike.

there is also no telling if the thai is going to reverse back, continue to cross the road, or stop, so you wouldnt know which way to take evasive action even if you had time.

purely by chance and on a whim, the thai decided to make a full stop just as he blocked off the lane altogether,

but that way of events was entirely unpredictable since even the thai didnt know what he was going to do

Edited by scammed

Just now, scammed said:

i get it to just over 2 seconds from the point the thai guy appeared to act erratic to the point where he completely blocked off the e-biker, you would have no time to do anything but

realize there is nothing you can do to avoid collision beside throw yourself off the bike

Perhaps you could check for me? The farang guy fell off approximately how many meters before he would have come alongside the Thai guy? Just so that I know for future reference when the time is right to throw myself off my bike, rather than move out a meter and pass

Just now, 473geo said:

Perhaps you could check for me? The farang guy fell off approximately how many meters before he would have come alongside the Thai guy? Just so that I know for future reference when the time is right to throw myself off my bike, rather than move out a meter and pass

which way would you attempt to pass on ?

there is no indication from the thai what he intends to do,

he is contemplating reverse back to the side he came from, he contemplate continue across the road, so both ways are potentially blocked.

in the end, he stopped right in the middle of the e bikers path, but there was no way to foresee that, since the thai couldnt decide what he was going to do

Your honor. He turned the wrong way onto oncoming traffic, into the wrong lane, did not appear to be paying any attention to whether or not there were any motor vehicles in the lane while doing so, and was the direct cause of this accident. I rest my case.

What can one say? At the very minimum, if you are going to behave in a totally brainless, and completely disrespectful manner like this, at least stay in the median strip, and look where you are going. He could have been mowed down by a large truck. Game over. The risks I see people taking here, with their own lives, and the lives of others, is beyond belief. 

Glad he could speak Thai. That guy sure got the earful he deserved. Will he learn anything from it?

2 minutes ago, scammed said:

which way would you attempt to pass on ?

there is no indication from the thai what he intends to do,

he is contemplating reverse back to the side he came from, he contemplate continue across the road, so both ways are potentially blocked.

in the end, he stopped right in the middle of the e bikers path, but there was no way to foresee that, since the thai couldnt decide what he was going to do

Rather than wave your arms about and shout!! you move to the right, overtaking the Thai guy as you would a stationary vehicle, as he almost was, I think a better alternative than 'throwing yourself off' but you are welcome to disagree

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Your honor. He turned the wrong way onto oncoming traffic, into the wrong lane, did not appear to be paying any attention to whether or not there were any motor vehicles in the lane while doing so, and was the direct cause of this accident. I rest my case.

What can one say? At the very minimum, if you are going to behave in a totally brainless, and completely disrespectful manner like this, at least stay in the median strip, and look where you are going. He could have been mowed down by a large truck. Game over. The risks I see people taking here, with their own lives, and the lives of others, is beyond belief. 

Glad he could speak Thai. That guy sure got the earful he deserved. Will he learn anything from it?

yes, the only real solution to this is to drive something very heavy, and speed up a bit if someone crosses your path,

and never attempt to avoid the unavoidable,

because that will invariably cause you to lose balance and grip on the road

• Thanks 1