Video: "Farang's" motorcycle accident and rant causes much comment online

webfact

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

On the contrary, that suggestion very much does take into account the reality. Don't adjust your driving expectations and then, as @transam would do, just run into the guy 'cause he shouldn't be there, then pull out your trusty copy of Thai driving laws and read them to him while you're both lying bleeding in the street waiting for police, ambulance, and a big bill to follow. Or, just move to the right out the way 'cause you've adjusted your driving expectations to Thai practices and knew you might need to do so to avoid an accident. And then go merrily on your way. Now it could be much, much worse.

Common mentality on the forum. We have guys walking around in Pattaya with bleeding foreheads all the time 'cause they insist that signs should NOT be hung so low over the pavements, 'cause that isn't allowed in the UK. ???? I'll expect to see you among them.

Ha ha, Big Star, Yes, I won't forget walking into that scaffolding bar across the pavement at eye level in Pattaya Klang. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, transam said:

I think it was 1955, I ran across a side road junction, there was a screech of brakes, and I was looking at the taller than me grill of a big grey car, the bloke stuck his head out of the window and shouted something.

That bloke's words taught me a lesson, and from that day on, the proper procedure when crossing the road. 

Somehow, I don't think it was his words that taught you a lesson as you can't remember what he shouted. More than likely, you learned not to get up in his grill.

• Haha 1

This is exactly why I haven't driven in Thailand since 1979, I had a 12 year old girl run into me when i was stationary and everyone (Thai's) still wanted me to pay for the damage to the girls motorbike. the police came by and just stood there like a fool and didn't do a thing.  I haven't and will never drive in Thailand again. True story..!

4 hours ago, scammed said:

no he isnt, the thai guy cut him off and the e-biker had the right of way.

if you cant grasp the idea of right of way, then you got no business on public roads

It was two motorcycles, there was enough room for two elephants to pass, I reckon the farang was keeping close in to be sure he got the guy on video, then bottled it and fell off 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, bobandyson said:

But there was no 'Hit'. The foreigner was an inexperienced rider because he slammed on the front brakes too much causing the front wheel to lock. He had time to swerve but possibly suffered 'target fixation'.

Maybe color commentating into your GoPro while riding is also a bad idea?

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I have even seen weird things like playing with their handphones and drinking from a cup on a motorcycle while waiting for the traffic lights.

These people have absolutely no sense of safety.

At traffic lights? How about when they are moving on the open road? 30 ... 40 ... 90 kph?

A couple of years ago as I crossed a road in Surin, a lunatic young woman came round the corner on her motorbike while reading her phone. She was heading straight for me. I shouted at her and she reacted and stopped in time. Contrition? Remorse? Apology? You know the answer to that.

• Sad 1

Too many Thai drivers driving too fast,  are looking at there mobile phones while driving,  not paying attention behind the wheel, the list goes on and on and on. 

Last year on Sukhumvit road,  Pattaya a young stupid deliveroo driver on his motor bike was looking at his phone not paying attention looking forward smashed into me and ruined my motor bike, injured my backside,  didn't pay the cost of repair.  I don't want to say ALL  Thai people but too many are just plain stupid behind the wheel.  No wonder THAIS road toll is too much.  Please SLOW DOWN AND WATCH WHERE YOUR GOING. KA. 

• Like 1

No, some Thai people do help us farangs. My wife and I were coming back from Mukdahan when a Thai lady pulls out from a side road and turns on to the lane for the motorbikes, (you know how they do this all the time) did not look and continued over in to the travel lane, this was a two lane highway and I had traffic coming at me with little room to move over, I did try to speed up and move to my right as far as possible to avoid and accident, well she clipped the side of our truck, took off the mirror and scraped the side. My wife was furious and although I don't understand or speak but little Thai I know she cursed this woman out. A minute or so later a Thai gentle man pulls over and inters the argument and sides with me and my wife. No, Thai people are very gracious with a few exceptions. Oh by the way I did not mention this until later when the women was resisting and mentioned that I did have a video car cam which was helpful in my case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

It was two motorcycles, there was enough room for two elephants to pass, I reckon the farang was keeping close in to be sure he got the guy on video, then bottled it and fell off 

firstly, it was a motorcycle and an e-bike, i.e bicycle with a battery and a little electric motor, secondly if two elefants could fit there, why did the dumbass cut the e-biker off ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, scammed said:

firstly, it was a motorcycle and an e-bike, i.e bicycle with a battery and a little electric motor, secondly if two elefants could fit there, why did the dumbass cut the e-biker off ?

It doesn't matter the type of motorbike or e-bike he was going the wrong way plane and simple "the wrong way". Yes, I agree the farang could have moved over and maybe just enough to have avoided this mess. What Thailand needs are policemen on patrol to stop these drivers, motorbike or car, from breaking the laws and then maybe things like this would not happen so often, as they do. Safety and saving lives, isn't that important to the Thai people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, todlad said:

At traffic lights? How about when they are moving on the open road? 30 ... 40 ... 90 kph?

A couple of years ago as I crossed a road in Surin, a lunatic young woman came round the corner on her motorbike while reading her phone. She was heading straight for me. I shouted at her and she reacted and stopped in time. Contrition? Remorse? Apology? You know the answer to that.

I could point out many unsafe and potentially deadly acts the motor bikers do...my favorite is when you are making a righthand turn (khwa) and looking left (say) for on coming traffic they will pull up on the right and turn in front of you. You have no idea they are there. I have road bikes for many years in my country and it is so deferent here, these bikers (well if that's what you call them) are idiots. 

my first and only crash on my bike happened in the first month of me driving. I have been driving for 15 years now. A Thai cut across me overtaking without his signal light on. I know that is normal now and look out for it. 
It happened outside Samitijev hospital in Sukhumvit 49. The security guards lied on behalf of the driver who I found out was also a security guard at the hospital. But at the police station they were caught out when I showed the marks on the road where the collision happened. I remember the police man telling them in front of me to change their story and "make up" with me as when he saw the evidence he knew they were lying.  I was hit once more by a policeman when stationary on my bike. My heart sank as if he had claimed I was in the wrong I wouldnt have had a leg to stand on. Fortunately he was honest and apologised. My hand was hurt where he hit me but I was so grateful he didnt try to manipulate the situation. Anyway Thai always side with Thais.....

19 hours ago, polpott said:

I adapt to the country I live in and its people. Something that you clearly can't.

Please come at me like that. I'll stop you and force you to go the right way. If you try to go around me I'll have no problems putting my hands in you using force to stop you from going the wrong way then holding you by force till police arrive to deal with you for going the wrong way. I've already nearly caused many Thais to end up in serious wrecks for going the wrong way and down the sidewalk and forcing them to get off the sidewalk and go the right way which few times nearly caused them to get hit by cars on the street. You endanger my safety I have no sympathy for you at all. You go the wrong way and endanger my safety don't expect me to not consider and take it as an attempt to hit me or kill me with your car/motorbike. Which does not end week for you. Their are some areas where I have a reputation and Thais avoid me. Once they see me they turn around and do the right thing as they don't want to get into it with me. I don't give a <deleted> that this is Thailand. It's not excuse to drive the way they are. And all you are doing is telling then it's ok. If you are that <deleted> lazy to go the right way you have serious problems and shouldn't be on the rd in the first place. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

Please come at me like that. I'll stop you and force you to go the right way. If you try to go around me I'll have no problems putting my hands in you using force to stop you from going the wrong way then holding you by force till police arrive to deal with you for going the wrong way. I've already nearly caused many Thais to end up in serious wrecks for going the wrong way and down the sidewalk and forcing them to get off the sidewalk and go the right way which few times nearly caused them to get hit by cars on the street. You endanger my safety I have no sympathy for you at all. You go the wrong way and endanger my safety don't expect me to not consider and take it as an attempt to hit me or kill me with your car/motorbike. Which does not end week for you. Their are some areas where I have a reputation and Thais avoid me. Once they see me they turn around and do the right thing as they don't want to get into it with me. I don't give a <deleted> that this is Thailand. It's not excuse to drive the way they are. And all you are doing is telling then it's ok. If you are that <deleted> lazy to go the right way you have serious problems and shouldn't be on the rd in the first place. 

It only takes one with bigger balls than you, to make you understand you can not act like that in Thailand! But my best guess you are just an keyboard worrier as many other who claim such <deleted>. I know in a perfect world it sounds good, but TIT. 

Thailand is a dysfunctional country on most levels!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TSF said:

Sounds like he's new, hasn't been here very long, hasn't yet learned that he's a foreigner, it's not his country, he's just a guest here and has no rights whatsoever, and he must never get angry, or lose his temper and raise his voice to his gracious Thai hosts as it's their country and they can do just what they please and it's none of his business.

The longer they stay, the more imperious and domineering they become. One observes that telltale humility and gracious demeanor at 2 locations only: 1) passport control and 2) offices of the Immigration Bureau when extending visas.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, scammed said:

for those of you bitching about him not driving well.

he mention e-bike at the start of the video, the handle bar is bicycle style, there is no sound.

anyone who have ever ridden a bicycle should know how wiggly they are, and none of you wimps could have done it better on that e-bike

Bitching?  I thought this was an opinion based forum?

I have no idea what a e-bike is but I do know something about cycling which I've done thousand of KM living here in Thailand. Use to do a yearly journey from Pattaya to Bangkok during my training and trips I've encounter lots of traffic especially dogs.

Personally, I'm not sure what is meant by " the handle bar is bicycle style there is no sound " but what I do know we are talking about stopping and I felt he had enough time to slow down and avoid?  instead of laying the bike down.

On a bicycle since majority of people are right handed the rear brake is placed there and the left the front reason because reaction is to squeeze your strong hand thus on the motorbike E or not ( unless you know for a fact it is reverse ) applying the front brake suddenly will cause the fish tail or the rear I do agree as human it is not easy to avoid!  On motorbikes in Thailand (scooters automatics)  my biggest concern is that the right hand leads to the front brake.

Edited by thailand49

1 hour ago, Kenneth White said:

It doesn't matter the type of motorbike or e-bike he was going the wrong way plane and simple "the wrong way". Yes, I agree the farang could have moved over and maybe just enough to have avoided this mess. What Thailand needs are policemen on patrol to stop these drivers, motorbike or car, from breaking the laws and then maybe things like this would not happen so often, as they do. Safety and saving lives, isn't that important to the Thai people?

the e-biker didnt intend for someone to cut him off

and he clearly didnt have time to react to this surprise.

it does matter that it was a bicycle because they

are even harder to balance then a scooter

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This foreigner should be charged with assault and deported.

He clearly overreacted, he has not got the experience to manage a dangerous situation, unexpected events occur on Thailand's Roads.

Thailand has its own road rules, we don't ride the same as back home, we need to adapt. At times I ride in a similar fashion to the old guy, Thais recognize this manoeuvre and move to the right so the oncoming rider can merge into the lane he's about to enter.

Go home, crazy foreigner.

Now then i try to force them into the ditch .......... see we have different rules !

He's obviously not a very good rider. Most would be ready for this type of thing in Thailand but he was too busy commenting on his video. <deleted> himself and just dropped the bike. If he can speak Thai he's been here for a while and should know screaming gets you nowhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, golli said:

He's obviously not a very good rider. Most would be ready for this type of thing in Thailand but he was too busy commenting on his video. <deleted> himself and just dropped the bike. If he can speak Thai he's been here for a while and should know screaming gets you nowhere.

no, there is no defense from erratic driving like the thai guy displayed, you wouldnt have been able to avoid it either.

it might be that the thai guy is visually impaired, i became nearly blind on one eye a few months ago and cut a thai off

because with only one fully functional eye, i could not adequately assess speed and distance,

i stopped driving in the evening

because i am no longer fit to drive on public roads in the dark,

that thai guy is not fit to drive on public road under any circumstance

Edited by scammed
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I get your point - Forcing strangers to think our way is never going to go down well in any country or culture. 

In this case (of the accident) - the Westerner was clearly upset - the article clearly states that Thai Netizens sided with the Westerner. 

Sure, i get it and I side with the Westerner too. I can understand emotions at that point. Can't expect someone to be rational all the time especially after an accident. Just saying that going out of our way to enforce traffic laws on total strangers is not a good thing.

Like blocking the path with your car as you feel the speed limit is reached or other stuff like that to force people obey the rules or to scold random people for not using a helmet. Stuff like that.

Yes my point was indeed that forcing strangers to think our way would not go down well in any culture. 

I really understand the westerner in this story. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

On the contrary, that suggestion very much does take into account the reality. Don't adjust your driving expectations and then, as @transam would do, just run into the guy 'cause he shouldn't be there, then pull out your trusty copy of Thai driving laws and read them to him while you're both lying bleeding in the street waiting for police, ambulance, and a big bill to follow. Or, just move to the right out the way 'cause you've adjusted your driving expectations to Thai practices and knew you might need to do so to avoid an accident. And then go merrily on your way. Now it could be much, much worse.

Common mentality on the forum. We have guys walking around in Pattaya with bleeding foreheads all the time 'cause they insist that signs should NOT be hung so low over the pavements, 'cause that isn't allowed in the UK. ???? I'll expect to see you among them.

The three stages of being an expat:

1 I can't do enough for Thailand

2 Thailand can't do enough for me

3 Thailand can do what the hell it likes

I didn't come here to convert anyone to anything. I didn't come here to tell anyone how to behave and to drive and so on. Except my own children, of course.

Given that the most common cause of death of a foreigner is, or used to be anyway, a road traffic accident, I think we have a duty a) to look after ourselves and b) influence transgressor whoever they are.

There is the single decker bus that came at me, driving round a bend, on my side of the road. He flashed his headlights at me as he realised there was no way he could get back to his side of the road. I had seconds to react and managed to squeeze my car over just far enough to avoid a calamity. He didn't stop since it meant nothing to him. I didn't stop. At the point, I was driving  hire car with no dash cam. The flashing headlight syndrome is strong here but it is potentially a deadly game and the idea that it's their country and I am the transgressor is way off beam. If I am wrong then why is the government and its appropriate ministries changing laws and regulations? Don't tell me they are never going to be enforced, that isn't the point, is it.

Then there is the young woman on the road near my house a few weeks ago. Motor bike flat on the floor skidding to a scraping halt. She was dumped on the side of the road. Straight road. Daylight. No other traffic, dog, cat, child anywhere near her. What could possibly have caused such a calamity? Is the answer iPhone, Samsung, Nokia??? Got it in one. Had there been someone or something else in the way? You say, it's their duty to predict the future and accept being mown down by this idiotic woman.

4 minutes ago, todlad said:

The three stages of being an expat:

1 I can't do enough for Thailand

2 Thailand can't do enough for me

3 Thailand can do what the hell it likes

I didn't come here to convert anyone to anything. I didn't come here to tell anyone how to behave and to drive and so on. Except my own children, of course.

Given that the most common cause of death of a foreigner is, or used to be anyway, a road traffic accident, I think we have a duty a) to look after ourselves and b) influence transgressor whoever they are.

There is the single decker bus that came at me, driving round a bend, on my side of the road. He flashed his headlights at me as he realised there was no way he could get back to his side of the road. I had seconds to react and managed to squeeze my car over just far enough to avoid a calamity. He didn't stop since it meant nothing to him. I didn't stop. At the point, I was driving  hire car with no dash cam. The flashing headlight syndrome is strong here but it is potentially a deadly game and the idea that it's their country and I am the transgressor is way off beam. If I am wrong then why is the government and its appropriate ministries changing laws and regulations? Don't tell me they are never going to be enforced, that isn't the point, is it.

Then there is the young woman on the road near my house a few weeks ago. Motor bike flat on the floor skidding to a scraping halt. She was dumped on the side of the road. Straight road. Daylight. No other traffic, dog, cat, child anywhere near her. What could possibly have caused such a calamity? Is the answer iPhone, Samsung, Nokia??? Got it in one. Had there been someone or something else in the way? You say, it's their duty to predict the future and accept being mown down by this idiotic woman.

a flat front tyre on a scooter means you are instantly going down,

and there is nothing at all you can do about it.

the fact is the momentum of our bike, coupled with the need to keep balance, means there is precious little we can do about it if we get cut off from our path

Edited by scammed
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

I could point out many unsafe and potentially deadly acts the motor bikers do...my favorite is when you are making a righthand turn (khwa) and looking left (say) for on coming traffic they will pull up on the right and turn in front of you. You have no idea they are there. I have road bikes for many years in my country and it is so deferent here, these bikers (well if that's what you call them) are idiots. 

Mirrors? What mirrors?

Many bikes have no mirrors. Zero.

Mrs T pointed out the bike next to us in traffic the other day: the left hand mirror was pointing at the woman's face: her own mobile, personalised compact mirror!

The single most astonishing thing that I see motorcyclists do here is to run a red light. they do it! Amber gamblers, too.

1 minute ago, scammed said:

a flat front tyre on a scooter means you are instantly going down,

and there is nothing at all you can do about it

Good point. It's not what happened to this young woman. iPhonitis is what it was.

• Like 2