Pattaya: 228 baht for a "kapao kai"! Shop asks for understanding - my customers are foreigners!

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The item on the menu was clearly labelled - 199 baht plus 29 for the fried egg. 

Then the complainant should learn to read before ordering or did they expect a discount because they believe only those pesky foreigners are charged the stated restaurant prices...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is a restaurant, the price is in the menu. What are you ^^^ guys moaning about. Don't eat there if you don't want to pay the price.

It also said "mostly" so that means he has Thai customers who pay the price on the menu too.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Thais would be taken in by such  rip-off.

But carry on paying well over the odds if it makes you feel happy, Mr Virtue-Signaller.  I bet you feel really good being ripped off because you know no better  ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

... and they wonder why tourism was declining even before Covid-19 ....

Ummmm, no, it wasn't

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can't make this stuff up, farang price.....lol

The complaining customer is Thai. So it's not a farang price, just an expensive restaurant. 

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Of course not, it's every Thai's right to rip of foreigners! :jap:

Where is the rip off? Where is the farang? The person who complained is Thai. The price is clearly marked on the menu. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

It hurt doesn't it when a Thai get shafted with farang's prices by another Thai , Oooo it hurts so bad...

If it was "farang price" I'd assume the Thai customer wouldn't have been charged this amount but would have been charged a "Thai price". But seems this restaurant has only 1 price, for anyone who eats there. 

A couple of years ago I met some friends visiting Thailand. We met at a small (3 tables)  restaurant in a hard to find soi. Menus were on the table showing simple Thai food for 2-3 times their price in a normal street restaurant. I mentioned this to my friends who insisted on eating there as this place was highly recommended on many tourists websites. 

The servings were larger than normal, the taste was good, and even though it wasn't standard prices, I think we were not cheated or taken advantage of. 

Hard to believe his customers are foreigners who pay such dumb prices. There aren't any fresh brand new dumb foreign tourists coming in, so the foreigners in Pattaya now are all long-term regulars and they know the prices around town, you can get that same dish in Big C or Tesco or Terminal 21 food courts for 40/50/60 Bt. I call BS on this, the dude got called out by a Thai and just said his customers are foreigners to try explain away that his stupid greedy prices.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Then the complainant should learn to read before ordering or did they expect a discount because they believe only those pesky foreigners are charged the stated restaurant prices...

The 'special menu' they keep for emergencies like this.. and farang orders.

7 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

... and they wonder why tourism was declining even before Covid-19 ....

Obviously the restaurant pays rent for their huge place, much more so than a small stall will, they’ll also have more staff and therefore the meals will be more expensive than at a roadside stall. 

Can anyone expect the price in a higher end restaurant to be the same as a road side stall? I mean not in Thailand, but anywhere else in the world? The price was clearly marked.

Anyways, some here takes this as ammunition for Thai bashing- nothing new and proves it's not always right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mops59 said:

The seller should be charges with fraud and scam for his action. He needs to be aware of the consequences.  This customer pays this price once and will never return. He is worse of.

But the government is doing the same with the dual price system for national parks. So the message is take as much as you can from the tourist. Disgusting attitude.

An attitude no doubt learnt from observing how Disney operates.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Card said:

Agree. Also the owner has to pay rent on a building in a prime location, which 65 baht carts do not have to do. Fair price 

we pay 50 Bht at a nice bistro/coffee shop which serves both Thais and farang. It's not a cart.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can't make this stuff up, farang price.....lol

Seems that you can make it up, you just did it.  You suggest that there was a lower price for Thai customers and that sure wasn't reported as being the case as the only price was the one shown on the menu.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Why not warning thai customers with a sign written in Thai? "Here we sell Thai food for falang customers with 4X price policy

Foreigner is being scammed like this all over Thailand, it's getting worse every year.

Nobody seems to care about this issue.