UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

In my book 40% for EU fishing  is better than nothing , Boris has already told the EU 25% is unacceptable

I think the EU will just camp there and wait, hoping that negative of fishing are so small compared to the benefits of a deal that Boris will have to cave.

Now the ERG could cause trouble

image.thumb.png.2eb687ca3a12457ec981afb53fee0852.png

and it would be like when Theresa May was PM all over again

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/20/conservative-mps-threaten-rebellion-on-brexit-deal

*sight*

I think we can be optimistic the will be a deal : unlikely tonight, probably before 31/12 with provisional application certainly in January

but then

• will this deal be vetoed by one or more EU nation?
  • Will it pass the EU parliament?
  • And on the UK side, will it bring back a degree of peace?

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Repeat,

• the EU being what it is, always designing compromises, will never break negotiations. On this side, negotiations (and will) can drag on for years
  • The UK is in a tie : public discourse is controlled by narrow-minded nationalists need to look tough "we were in shackles, now we will be free and, anyway, sunlit uplands await us", but reality (our economies are still deeply integrated, our geopolitical interests are still the same and we are still in close geographical proximity) dictates that there is close cooperation.

As a result you have successive moves by the UK to slam the door and then realize... it just cannot slam the door

Another thing which is progressively sinking in is that membership was a meager price compared to the benefits of being in the EU (basically vetoing all our decisions when the UK didn't like them).

You've hit the nail on the head HFF. Geography dictates the EU will remain of vital importance to UK trade. 

17 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I think the EU will just camp there and wait, hoping that negative of fishing are so small compared to the benefits of a deal that Boris will have to cave.

Now the ERG could cause trouble

image.thumb.png.2eb687ca3a12457ec981afb53fee0852.png

and it would be like when Theresa May was PM all over again

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/20/conservative-mps-threaten-rebellion-on-brexit-deal

*sight*

I think we can be optimistic the will be a deal : unlikely tonight, probably before 31/12 with provisional application certainly in January

but then

• will this deal be vetoed by one or more EU nation?
  • Will it pass the EU parliament?
  • And on the UK side, will it bring back a degree of peace?

Good Luck with that I think the EU will be in for a long wait

This report highlights that the EU is next to useless when it comes to management of fish stock

EU set to miss targets on sustainability after agreeing fishing quotas

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/17/eu-set-to-miss-targets-on-sustainability-after-agreeing-fishing-quotas

I suspect at some point there will be a deal but not on EU current t&c

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bannork said:

You've hit the nail on the head HFF. Geography dictates the EU will remain of vital importance to UK trade. 

not just trade : defense (although there's not much to see yet, but now the UK has left we can get things moving), research (the Uk wanted to cherry-pick Erasmus, I have no idea where we are now), diplomacy (there I think things are still very good, eg the UK got a lot of support after the Amesbury Novichok poisoning )....

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Good Luck with that I think the EU will be in for a long wait

This report highlights that the EU is next to useless when it comes to management of fish stock

EU set to miss targets on sustainability after agreeing fishing quotas

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/17/eu-set-to-miss-targets-on-sustainability-after-agreeing-fishing-quotas

I suspect at some point there will be a deal but not on EU current t&c

if by current you mean 25% and not access to the 12-miles zone maybe it's too much.

I think in the future, the EU will keep on coming back on it : our coastal communities really have the ability to lobby hard.

after this meager first deal there are still many things the UK will want from the EU and it does not have much to trade in return.

now, fishing is so sensitive...

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

I dont understand. They are leaving. Why should they not try to leave on good terms. Or should they just say <deleted> and leave and be in a bad state?

The EU was in a state of shock when the referendum passed...if May had given the required notice immediately (I believe 2 years was required) she could have negotiated a good deal. Dragging it out for years only gave Brussels time to prepare for the exit and so offer less generous terms (and of course now there is Covid).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

a true statement by Corpus, deserves to be framed ????

now do not doubt that if things got really that critical for the UK, the EU would offer humanitarian help.

Now, we are very very very far from that.

So trucks are backed-up...who cares.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The EU was in a state of shock when the referendum passed...if May had given the required notice immediately (I believe 2 years was required) she could have negotiated a good deal. Dragging it out for years only gave Brussels time to prepare for the exit and so offer less generous terms (and of course now there is Covid).

It was the Remainer MPs who voted against May giving the E.U notice to leave and kept us in the E.U for four more years

• Like 2

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

So trucks are backed-up...who cares.

Evidently nobody.

The borders are being closed from today due to the new strain of COVID.

Sky News reports that both Belgium and Italy are banning all travel from the UK due to this 'new' strain.

I note that the exact same new strain has also already been seen previously in both Denmark and the Netherlands from which travel remains unrestricted.

I heard on the grapevine that the French are also about to close the borders but we'll see about that over the next 24 hours.

7 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Cameron should have fired the starting gun the first Monday after the referendum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

you are a very confused person - seek help, maybe click at the top of this page.

My point was that numerous other posters (who sit on your side of the fence) made valid reasons as to why the UK deserves food aid more than African and I agreed with their point of view  .

So, if you disagree with them, write a reply to them .

Why not criticise UNICEF for taking food from Africa and giving it to the UK ?

It must be rather confusing for your side , to celebrate the UK needing food aid , at the expense of African kids .

You seem to want to have your cake and eat it 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

I Guess the absence of an answer means that's a no then, but you couldn't bring yourself to admit it.

But your idea that we are going to smack into a wall in 11 days is, yet again, more crystal ball gazing.... ????

To fall flat on your face means to fail in an embarrassing way. God knows how you apply that to Britain after WW1.

Regarding the effects of Brexit, especially a no deal, well we shall soon see.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

We weren't discussing your feelings. Feelings and facts are two completely different issues.

I’ve got a feeling bojo will balls it up next time he attempts to do up his shoelaces without supervision  - that’s a fact too! 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

My point was that numerous other posters (who sit on your side of the fence) made valid reasons as to why the UK deserves food aid more than African and I agreed with their point of view  .

So, if you disagree with them, write a reply to them .

Why not criticise UNICEF for taking food from Africa and giving it to the UK ?

It must be rather confusing for your side , to celebrate the UK needing food aid , at the expense of African kids .

You seem to want to have your cake and eat it 

Know when to stop digging chap 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

well, it will give both parties a sense of emergency amid the chaos of "No deal"

and will force them to address "priorities" when the UK is running out of food and toilet paper ????

bum guns have always been the way forward ! 

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

How about yourself ?

Do you think that the UK should receive food aid from UNICEF ?

If I thought you had the intellectual capacity to handle this I would be almost tempted to reply!

However if you believe hungry U.K. kids should receive no support then that tells us quite a lot about you. Does it matter a <deleted> where it comes from as long as they get a decent meal in them ! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

If I thought you had the intellectual capacity to handle this I would be almost tempted to reply!

However if you believe hungry U.K. kids should receive no support then that tells us quite a lot about you. Does it matter a <deleted> where it comes from as long as they get a decent meal in them ! 

Have you been following the thread ?.

Just a few posts back I agreed that the UK kids are more deserving food aid at the expense of African kids.

We both agree on that point 

22 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Just a few posts back I agreed that the UK kids are more deserving food aid at the expense of African kids.

And why do you think a child in one geographic location is more worthy than another?

Merry Christmas indeed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

And some more posts back, you as a teacher for heavens sake, said that UK kids should be send up to clean chimneys, rather than receive financial support.

Keep digging, Australia is near.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

And some more posts back, you as a teacher for heavens sake, said that UK kids should be send up to clean chimneys, rather than receive financial support.

Keep digging, Australia is near.

Thats a false allegation and a complete lie , I have never said that .