UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

Oh you got me on a twist .... did not knew you are a Turkey fan ????...., of course i meant the U.K. (as you knew for sure ...???? )

This was the post I responded to.

"The UK needs to leave the EU, period. There is no negotiation. They(UK) could be like Turkey, a EU partner without being one "

Why from my answer

"The UK does not want to be like Turkey, they(Turkey) are in a customs union with the EU."

Would you say this

"Up to 31 December midnight only  .....unless miracle happens "

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

This was the post I responded to.

"The UK needs to leave the EU, period. There is no negotiation. They(UK) could be like Turkey, a EU partner without being one "

Why from my answer

"The UK does not want to be like Turkey, they(Turkey) are in a customs union with the EU."

Would you say this

"Up to 31 December midnight only  .....unless miracle happens "

i know now  it was  lost in translation of thinking ????

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sandyf said:

The issues are not about who can fly where, they are about recognising safety certificates from the respective authorities, aircraft cannot fly without a valid certificate.

The Channel Tunnel safety certificates will expire by default on 31 Dec.

There must be a legal arrangement by the 1st Jan to ensure all critical documents are still recognised by both parties.

The worst case scenario is staring us in the face.

The "airline  slots " on airports could also become reviewed  on expiring date of them ...... i am not expert in it , but i got it from a "spin off thoughts from E.U. official" month's ago ...

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The issues are not about who can fly where, they are about recognising safety certificates from the respective authorities, aircraft cannot fly without a valid certificate.

The Channel Tunnel safety certificates will expire by default on 31 Dec.

There must be a legal arrangement by the 1st Jan to ensure all critical documents are still recognised by both parties.

The worst case scenario is staring us in the face.

Holidaymakers from Great Britain barred from EU after 1 January under Covid rules

European commission indicates Britons will face ban on non-essential travel at end of Brexit transition

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/uk-holidaymakers-could-be-barred-from-visiting-eu-under-covid-safety-rules

The EU needs to keep open the Channel Tunnel and the airport routes to allow the 4 million EU citizens to return home for what ever reason

Unless they plan to tell their own citizens when one of their relatives is ill or dying, sorry we can't help it was your choice to live in the UK

and the UK must be punished for daring to leave the Great Project

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Holidaymakers from Great Britain barred from EU after 1 January under Covid rules

European commission indicates Britons will face ban on non-essential travel at end of Brexit transition

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/uk-holidaymakers-could-be-barred-from-visiting-eu-under-covid-safety-rules

The EU needs to keep open the Channel Tunnel and the airport routes to allow the 4 million EU citizens to return home for what ever reason

Unless they plan to tell their own citizens when one of their relatives is ill or dying, sorry we can't help it was your choice to live in the UK

and the UK must be punished for daring to leave the Great Project

That is why they call it disturbance   more real named... chaos ...

And that ban is not direct because brexit ...it is because general covid 19 rules ....but the exempt for U.K. ends because brexit ....

As so many things go change .....as PM. Boris warned for many things go change 1 January deal or no deal....(sorry...= Australia deal...????)

Edited by david555

53 minutes ago, vogie said:

I guess that nobody could have predicted how duplicitous the EU are, and they are doing this to punish the Brits for having the temerity to leave and to warn any existing EU members of the consequences should they want to leave. So it all boils down to frightening the members to remain rather than being fair and just so that members would not want to leave, I believe North Korea works on a similar process.

you mean nobody said anything about "project fear" and how it could damage the UK and that the EU will stand by its principles? I think it was clear from Day 1

even Maybot realized that, that's why Barnier had to write up for her the entire WA as she and her team had no clue where to start

The Germans didn't even want Barnier to write it up for the Brits, and let them sink by themselves in desperation

Barnier took pity on May (his mistakes) and tried to save the Brits from themselves,

how wrong he was ????

This is what happens when you help friends like the Brits, they bite your hand

Let them eat cake and starve ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

Just now, vogie said:

You were warned, you didn't listen and now there will be a very heavy burden to bare by the EU, the EU thought they were slick but they were anything but. Von der Leyen has now said it looks like 'no deal' 

Let the EU keep issueing these phoney threats, who are these people that think that they can keep threatening another sovereign nation, and as Boris said "no PM can accept such terms" and how right he is.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.????

It’s looking like food and medicine shortages for Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I agree but he had to show that he has tried every avenue and he has and still is. If he renegades on his stance he is toast at the next election.

The EU has not and will never break negotiations. It's whole purpose is to create compromises and that is what it has been doing from its origins after ww2. 

Boris didn't "try every avenue"

(except if you mean signing a treaty, claiming it was a huge win, having it ratified by the parliament, stamped by the queen and then reneging)

for example we saw how fishing has become of little importance for the UK. Now, in the EU we have many towns and communities. In the Netherlands, France and Belgium which will be out of business 

Of course we need to prevent this, what would you do? 

I am sure that he will be supported when it comes out all the things that the EU had done to stifle and prevent a deal.  The EU are turning an already nation of barley tolerant to the EU into one that will be more hostile in my opinion.

Not at all, we need to find the polls, but a while ago I remember the UK had one of the most favorable and "very favorable" opinion on the EU in Europe. 

I still feel there will be a deal but my hopes are getting up that he walks and tells them they can stick their 18% catch of fish in UK waters and the divorce bill of course. 

There will be a deal, but from the best deal leading the EFTA, we are down to a very bad one, with dire consequences on the future of the UK economy and jobs.

And there is Covid-19 : the UK is already the hardest - hit economy in Europe (even the world except for Argentina).

Unlike members, the UK will get no solidarity funds from us and the consequences of Brexit will compound with the consequences of Covid-19, many many businesses are going to close. 

How can the complex supply chains of technological industries hold with a 10% tax each time a component crosses a border? 

UK shoppers can reject EU products and get on with life.

UK shoppers will have other problems. They will still need to buy food, but might not be able to afford German cars anyway. Aside from the richest who really are pro-EU. 

Can't wait to see the French protests. No doubt the tractors and fishing boats will be out in force.

Why should there be protests? Our government and the EU are indeed protecting our our interests now and will in the next phase of Brexit. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, vogie said:

We will eat pebbles and drink mud before we capitulate to the EU.

Gloomy forecast, I hope we do not come to that. 

Now: we in the EU just want a reasonable deal in exchange for giving access to the single market: mostly a level, competitive playing field, access to fishing quotas that our fishing communities have used for centuries, and serious guarantees in case the UK does not respect our deal. 

So there is no capitulation needed, its mostly common sense. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

Gloomy forecast, I hope we do not come to that. 

Now: we in the EU just want a reasonable deal in exchange for giving access to the single market: mostly a level, competitive playing field, access to fishing quota that our fishing communities have used for centuries, and serious guarantees in case the UK does not respect our deal. 

So there is no capitulation needed, its mostly common sense. 

You in the EU, if you really are in the EU, so I will rephrase my answer. Those that are in the EU still wish to control the UK with their rules and telling us how much fish we can have in our own waters, do you realise if we accept that the EU has control of our waters, we would be the only country in the world not to have a total say in what happens in our own waters, no British PM could ever accept a deal with these these requirements.

Short term pain for long term gain.

And once you have drunk Leo, drinking mud is not a big problem as one might think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

You in the EU, if you really are in the EU, so I will rephrase my answer. Those that are in the EU still wish to control the UK with their rules and telling us how much fish we can have in our own waters, do you realise if we accept that the EU has control of our waters, we would be the only country in the world not to have a total say in what happens in our own waters..

You use the word waters a lot. 

No one is contesting UK sovereignty over its economic fishing zone (freshly) acquired in the 80'

That would be quite stupid as the French exclusive economic zone is about twice the size of the UK’s 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone#Rankings_by_area

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2