UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

40 minutes ago, RayC said:

The UK will become a '3rd country' in the EU's eyes on 1/1/21. The US is a 3rd country and its citizens are currently banned from entering the EU for non- essential reasons. Why should the UK be treated any differently?

I'd imagine that each of the individual EU member states have processes dealing with the repatriation of their nationals.

It will be diffcult if not impossible for a single European living in the UK  if there are no air,boat or train transport links between the UK and Europe 

5 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Gloomy forecast, I hope we do not come to that. 

Now: we in the EU just want a reasonable deal in exchange for giving access to the single market: mostly a level, competitive playing field, access to fishing quotas that our fishing communities have used for centuries, and serious guarantees in case the UK does not respect our deal. 

So there is no capitulation needed, its mostly common sense. 

Ursula von der Leyen, the European commission president, said: “We understand that the UK aspires to control its waters

UK to strengthen sea patrols to ward off post-Brexit fishing wars

The Marine Management Organisation, responsible for English waters, can obtain a further 22 ships in an emergency, and is also considering whether to take on two extra surveillance aircraft to help cover the maritime area.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/05/uk-to-strengthen-sea-patrols-to-ward-off-post-brexit-fishing-wars

Four navy ships to help protect fishing waters in case of no-deal Brexit

Exclusive: two vessels to be deployed at sea with two on standby in case EU fishing boats enter EEZ

Strange statement for Von der Layden 

I could understand Spain aspires to take control of gibraltar as it has for a number of years

Reply from number 10 The spokesman said it was a "fact", not an aspiration.

He said: "We've been quite clear on this. As an independent coastal state, we are ready to conduct an annual negotiation with the EU on arrangements for 2021."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

The EU have already agreed to let air and road - and I assume Eurostar - services continue post-transition.

Why wouldn't the UK reciprocate? Notwithstanding the enormous economic consequences of not agreeing to do so,  it would potentially leave thousands of British nationals stranded in Europe. Wouldn't that be callous and vindictive; an accusation that Brexiters usually level at the EU?

No the EU has suggested a proposal to let air and road continue so long as the UK agreed to the level playing fields

The problem with the EU is any trade deal is never straight on the EU side there always add-ons

If I sold apples to the EU and I bought oranges from spain that a straight trade deal

when one side attempts to add extras into the deal then its no longer a straight trade deal

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RayC said:

You are incorrect.

There is no mention of this offer being contingent upon the UK agreeing to anything else.

Moreover, it is not a question of accepting all three measures as one package. The UK can reject the Fisheries offer and accept the other two.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2368

EU makes fishing and transport no-deal offers in return for 'level playing field'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/raab-eu-must-make-substantial-shift-for-brexit-talks-to-succeed

52 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

As an independent coastal state

side noteit saddens me to see the UK referring to itself as "independent coastal state", since when did the UK stop being a world power to self-define as "an independent coastal state"?

There are more ambitious things to do in today's world for the UK than to deny access to fishing quotas

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

The commission also said its offers on road and air transport would depend on the UK providing "fair and equal opportunities", adding: "A level playing field requires that, even after the end of the transition period, the United Kingdom continues to apply sufficiently high and comparable standards."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55259144

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

side noteit saddens me to see the UK referring to itself as "independent coastal state", since when did the UK stop being a world power to self-define as "an independent coastal state"?

There are more ambitious things to do in today's world for the UK than to deny access to fishing quotas

My understanding the EU was offered 40% from British fishing waters and the EU said no we want 80-85%

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

EU makes fishing and transport no-deal offers in return for 'level playing field'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/raab-eu-must-make-substantial-shift-for-brexit-talks-to-succeed

I stand corrected (assuming The Guardian has got it right).

Nevertheless, given that EU and UK regulations will be in alignment on 1/1/21, why would the UK government reject the transport offers? To do so risks chaos for businesses and probable shortages of goods for consumers.

(I can understand why the UK might reject the Fisheries offer)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

I stand corrected (assuming The Guardian has got it right).

Nevertheless, given that EU and UK regulations will be in alignment on 1/1/21, why would the UK government reject the transport offers? To do so risks chaos for businesses and probable shortages of goods for consumers.

(I can understand why the UK might reject the Fisheries offer)

as stated its never a straight foward deal with the EU there always add-ons/extras

The commission also said its offers on road and air transport would depend on the UK providing "fair and equal opportunities", adding: "A level playing field requires that, even after the end of the transition period, the United Kingdom continues to apply sufficiently high and comparable standards."

18 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My understanding the EU was offered 40% from British fishing waters and the EU said no we want 80-85%

no one wants british waters, we're talking about fishing quotas 200 miles away from british territory, that were not even considered british zone before the 80's

• Like 1

As if the UK has much if any leverage to begin with.  The UK wanted brexit so they will get what they deserve in return.  Nothing.  They should be treated like any other foreign country outside the EU.  Full stop.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

as stated its never a straight foward deal with the EU there always add-ons/extras

On 1/1/21 the regulations will be in complete alignment. Is the UK government so desperate to change any laws governing these industries that it plans to introduce legislation in early 2021? 

The proposal re air and road effectively amounts to an extension of the transition period for the transport industry. If this is not agreed then there will be chaos. How can it be otherwise? The UK government needs to be pragmatic about this.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, snoop1130 said:

UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

OMG

Did "The UK" really say that?

Or was this said by some hardliners in the 52% segment?

Great negotiating skills if those extremists really said that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

no one wants british waters, we're talking about fishing quotas 200 miles away from british territory, that were not even considered british zone before the 80's

well the UK offered the EU 40% of the fishing quota from UK waters which the EU said no we want 80%-85% of what the EU currently take