UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

In the event that the UK rejects the latest  measures proposed by the EU concerning transport, and neither side recognises the other's regulations, how will freight continue to move if a dispute arises?

By entering negotiations on both sides that relate to the issue in hand and exclude all side deals/add-ons

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

And that will mean that the EU will have to agree, in theory, to the possibility of the UK offering state subsidies to its aviation and freight industries; something that it refuses to contemplate. So the same impasse (an apt-time in the circumstances).

I can only repeat my previous comments. The EU proposal is effectively an extension of the transition period for the transport sector. Does the UK government have legislation, which affects these sectors, waiting to be implemented in early 2021? Even in the unlikely event that is the case, is that legislation so urgent that it is worth bringing the country to a standstill? A standstill will have negative effects for certain EU members, but nothing like as severe as for an island like GB.

Johnson needs to be pragmatic about this and do what is best for the country, not what will appease his ERG supporters.

if these are contingency plans the maxium duration of each plan should be no more than 90 days so no  need for a level playing field 

Some people view these contingency plans as the EU attempting to get what they wanted but failed to get through the ongoing negotiations which are due to finished tomorrow

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Is that a tweet from someone called Grousebeater

There must be a reason why you are shy to reveal the identity of the twitter account

I do recall seeing past posts from Grouse 

https://twitter.com/Grouse_Beater/status/1337355748116992000/photo/1

No idea who they are.....this was posted as it was sent to me via WhatsApp.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Highlights the lack of understanding.

The level playing field has always been there, nothing new.

If the EU changes any product specification or requirements, then all countries that wish to sell in the EU must follow suit. Normally there is a grace period for goods already in the EU.

For countries that are some distance from the EU, Canada or China for example, it normally only relates to the product in question as the cost of transport would normally overshadow any deviance in the domestic situation.

The UK is a completely different scenario, being on the doorstep of the EU other factors must be taken into account that would create a competitive advantage.

I fail to see why people have so much difficulty understanding this point. To put it simply, how would you feel if a bar opened up next door to yours and was only paying half the rent.

You were discussing the EU  contingency proposals  that contain the agreement of a level playing field

Which you claim is garbage 

And the Guardian,BBC and Sky news state the EU  contingency proposals  do contain  the agreement of a level playing field as part of the mini deals

EU makes fishing and transport no-deal offers in return for 'level playing field'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/raab-eu-must-make-substantial-shift-for-brexit-talks-to-succeed

Brexit: EU sets out plans in case trade talks with UK fail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55259144

Brexit: EU risks fresh fishing row with UK over no-deal contingency plans

Meanwhile, parts of the mini-deals offered by the EU to the UK contain the same demands for so-called level playing field provisions that have been - along with fishing rights - such a contentious aspect of post-Brexit trade negotiations.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-eu-proposes-no-deal-contingency-measures-for-plans-lorries-and-fishing-boats-12156764

13 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It is not the barbill. We bought a big chunk of the pub. We want deserve our percentage. We want to go but the dregs and hangers on, who don't buy a round and the ones that buy for the others won't let us.

We are part owners of the pub and have paid a lot. We want to drink there but not at ridiculous prices. If not we will go other pubs, there are more around.

Most of the others in this pub use our parking lot (waters) and have parked their cars in there for a long time and take up more space than the Brits. You have also used our other services and were happy too. sending your kids top universities and schools in the UK.

By the way who was full of love? Just look at the British comedy of the last 50 years we have hardly had a love affair with the French and Germans and the rest of Europe.

I am only having fun with all of you, As an American I am just happy to see others almost as ridiculous as we are.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 7:53 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

We won't although we will have a huge bag of money that will not be going the EU's way and a lot of other goodies that we do not have to give in the future.

No doubt there will be some disruption but well worth it to be rid of the EU.  Then the UK can get back to trying to feed itself again and building industry. Who on earth would plan so a country can't feed itself. Well the EU did with its agricultural policy and Fisheries scam. Who would become nothing more than a service industry while allowing your neighbour (France) to monopolise farming.

I am happy for the rest of the EU who seems to love each other. Great for you. You better start digging in your pockets, as there is a huge whole left that you have to fill with the UK leaving in its entirety.

I am for buying British campaign. You can keep the EU products at their extortionate prices.

So I guess we are all happy.

I don’t know how you can write such a huge pile of nonsense then have that quote from Mark Twain at the end. You are type of person he is talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:28 PM, Loiner said:

They are all Remainer loser threads. TVF posts a piece of Reuters anti-Brexit propaganda or a spinned version and they all lap it up. What's odds there's a plethora of 'We're out and doomed' from Monday morning? 

I am sorry that some people understand the realities of the situation and can see the enormous damage that this will do to the Uk. Brexiteers like yourself just continue to live in La la land.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

:whistling:...

Foreign-owned super trawler will still control biggest slice of Britain's fishing quota after Brexit
A Lowestoft fisherman said 'The Government allowed our quota to be bought up by foreign companies, but it’s a public asset'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/12/foreign-owned-super-trawler-will-still-control-biggest-slice/

By Jon Ungoed-Thomas
12 December 2020 • 6:00pm

Ministers are being urged to take action against a foreign-owned super trawler which was once caught by the Royal Navy illegally fishing off the Cornish coast - and now controls the biggest amount of UK fishing quota.

The 119-metre long Frank Bonefaas - which processes and freezes its vast catch on board - is the largest trawler registered in the British fishing fleet. The trawler controls 23 per cent of England’s fishing quota and lands its entire catch in Holland.

2020-12-13_020115.png.237114b7e91d00683d65890906c1ab1b.png

Campaigners say the operation of Frank Bonefaas exposes that even after the Brexit transition, more than half of England’s fishing quota will be controlled by foreign fishing companies in Holland, Spain and Iceland. They want a radical overhaul of fisheries policy to ensure more quota for British fisherman

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

So apparently by this evening we should know more. 

Optimists, pessimists, realists have a different opinion of what the U.K. & E.U. will be, once Brexit (with, or without a deal) will be, when completely implemented. 

A fact is, it remains an unknown, and will be so for a long time. 

The Brexit referendum was a democratic event, the Leave voters won. 

I don't know what name given to a situation, where a part of the population of one country,  is able to influence, threw an occurence, the (economical and other) , future of the entire population of 28?

Further more, is this  allowed (under the name of sovereignty), morally acceptable? 

Of course one may expect different perception/approach/opinion to these questions, depending on the nationality, and other factors, of the sayer. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Like that.

An Europe Union where peace reign.

Something similar to the United States of America, where after the Secession War there is peace between all the states.

And The United Kingdom where after the wars with the Scottish ,there is peace between the four countries.

Of course I not expect that everything is going swimmingly, it isn't the case nor in the U.S.A. neither in the U.K..

In the meantime, it seems that Hungary & Poland agreed on a compromise.

Further problems will certainly rise, comprehensible in an union of 27 countries. 

Anyway in your idealistic Europe and its unification. when will Russia be joining you.????

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am only having fun with all of you, As an American I am just happy to see others almost as ridiculous as we are.  

No we haven't stooped that low yet but at times we were close????. Like when GB Junior got into power with Florida state in 2000. Don't get me wrong we have had some clowns with Blair Major and Heath.

We are following through a democratic referendum though which is something especially in the EU as it is usually ignored or vote again until the right answer comes in.