THAI delays relaunch of domestic flights until Jan 1 after new cases found

webfact

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Sensible move.

Probably saw the Thanksgiving airport disaster super spread in the US with the 3,000 bodies piling up daily now.

Thailand a total of three deaths for the last 7 months.

Thailand has no idea how many deaths there have been, as they never conduct autopsies. Someone dies, body lies in the house for a couple of days mourning, then burnt on a fire! So how would Thailand ever know how many Covid deaths they've had ????

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It barely matters. Thai Airways is one of the least relevant airlines on the planet, and are barely a factor within Thailand. They have done this to themselves. Gross mismanagement has made them a non factor. 

yet i loved flying with them...such good service.

• Like 2

Even if they start flying again I might opt for any other airline which kept as many planes in the air as possible.

All those Thai Airways cockpit crews must have lost their license to fly as the latter includes so and so many hundreds of hours of flying each and every year - go figure how they fix that; unless, of course, the Directorate of Civil Aviation counts doughnut production hours into the same category ........ 

6 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Sensible move.

Probably saw the Thanksgiving airport disaster super spread in the US with the 3,000 bodies piling up daily now.

Thailand a total of three deaths for the last 7 months.

Yes, time will tell how bad things truly are... but what I find interesting is when you compare historical mortality data (USA) with 2020, you wouldn’t even know a pandemic is happening unless you read the news. This certainly wasn’t the case in 1918, where 2-2.5% of the population was the estimated death toll, and the bodies were actually stacking up and mass graves were used. Sorry if a little off topic.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/death-rate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It barely matters. Thai Airways is one of the least relevant airlines on the planet, and are barely a factor within Thailand. They have done this to themselves. Gross mismanagement has made them a non factor. 

Mismanagement and political interference, remember the PM who introduced Air Asia and whose family owned 51 % of the shares. Only possible in Thailand.

8 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

impressive, got to give it to Thailand.... if they could only start actual mass testing like many countries....

You mean like the rigorous and relentless mass testing that South Korea has been doing since at least April that has done NOTHING to slow the current wave of infections that are flooding hospitals and threatening to crash their public health care system?

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

If I had to design an new TG for Thailand this would be my dream fleet;

A220 - Longer range domestic, CNX, HKT etc

EMB175 -Shorter range domestic, KKC etc

A319/320 - local International routes

Then keep the existing widebodies; B77X, A330, A350, B78X, but dumping the A380's, which were always doomed to failure for TG, for long range International.

Delusional I know lol

To keep it simple with maintenance and pilot training I would skip the EMB  (not many in Asia) and A 319.

If I would start an airline I would only fly A 220 to start with before I expand. 

35 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

You are very close to libel (instead of slander) and really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Compared to other airlines in Thailand their pilots are very well trained before they even start to do base and line training. As told in another reply they currently do SIM training each month to stay current. I know of other airlines were after training SIM for 3 months they started as junior first officer. Ground school at Thai is at least 6 months before they start with SIM training. Recrutement has at least 7 different steps and takes more than 3 months, others have just 3 stages. Compared to other airlines they land manually every time except when they need to test the auto landing system every 28 days. Other airlines who are allowed to fly in Thailand use Pay to Fly pilots in their home country and their pilots autoland most of the time. CAAT is not liked by almost everybody who flies in Thailand if they find any excuse they will ground the pilot.

Thank you. Always refreshing to hear an educated voice with some knowledge, prevail over the voices of the guessing and speculating  crowds. I have never been on a flight in Thailand, where I have had reason to question the qualifications or skills of the pilot. They do seem well trained, and well qualified. No reason to make silly and baseless assumptions, otherwise. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You mean like the rigorous and relentless mass testing that South Korea has been doing since at least April that has done NOTHING to slow the current wave of infections that are flooding hospitals and threatening to crash their public health care system?

At 42,000 cases total, and only 572 deaths (at slightly over 1%, that represents a very low fatality rate), South Korea appears to have done quite well. And with under 700 new cases a day, it appears quite manageable. Relatively speaking.

And I seriously doubt if their hospitals are being "flooded" with patients. With nearly 600 hospitals, 130 of which have over 300 beds, that represents one patient per hospital, nationwide. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

At 42,000 cases total, and only 572 deaths (at slightly over 1%, that represents a very low fatality rate), South Korea appears to have done quite well. And with under 700 new cases a day, it appears quite manageable. Relatively speaking.

And I seriously doubt if their hospitals are being "flooded" with patients. With nearly 600 hospitals, 130 of which have over 300 beds, that represents one patient per hospital, nationwide. 

Yes, they're doing really well. From about three weeks ago.

South Korea facing 'crisis', says PM, as Covid measures tightened

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/17/south-korea-facing-crisis-says-pm-as-covid-measures-tightened

And earlier this week.

Covid: South Korea raises alert level amid spike in cases

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55206419

And only yesterday.

Covid-19 Surge Hits South Korea and Japan, After They Had Contained Virus

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-surge-hits-parts-of-asia-seen-as-pandemic-success-stories-11607523625

AFAIK, Thailand hasn't ever claimed to have contained the virus. They have however confessed to having managed it.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, they're doing really well. From about three weeks ago.

South Korea facing 'crisis', says PM, as Covid measures tightened

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/17/south-korea-facing-crisis-says-pm-as-covid-measures-tightened

And earlier this week.

Covid: South Korea raises alert level amid spike in cases

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55206419

And only yesterday.

Covid-19 Surge Hits South Korea and Japan, After They Had Contained Virus

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-surge-hits-parts-of-asia-seen-as-pandemic-success-stories-11607523625

AFAIK, Thailand hasn't ever claimed to have contained the virus. They have however confessed to having managed it.

Without wanting to diminish the seriousness of this damn virus, we can argue endlessly about which country has or hasn't contained it for better or worse.

But in the context of this story covid is nothing but a smokescreen to try to hide the absolute disaster that is TG.

Very few countries, maybe the authoritarian ones will fare better, but few will come out of this covered in glory

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Without wanting to diminish the seriousness of this damn virus, we can argue endlessly about which country has or hasn't contained it for better or worse.

But in the context of this story covid is nothing but a smokescreen to try to hide the absolute disaster that is TG.

Very few countries, maybe the authoritarian ones will fare better, but few will come out of this covered in glory

Totally agree and sorry for going off-topic.

Since the seven provinces where the 'Tachilek Ten' spread their infections to have been identified as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phichit, Ratchaburi, Singburi and Tak, did TG actively serve any destination other than CNX and CEI ? Some of the infected travelers flew Nok Air and Dragon Air via Don Meuang but we don't see them suspending services.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:58 AM, Natai Beach said:

maybe you missed it. It has been in the Thai news a lot. There is a new cluster from Burma, tracing and thousands are being tested daily to control to attempt to stop the spread. 

It is called being proactive, that is the way to deal with covid. They wouldn’t want to wait before acting and end up being like France, Italy and Spain with tens of thousands of dead.

You are not suggesting they wait until it has spread further and people start dying are you? That would be dumb.

Being proactive would be to properly guard the borders so people can’t just walk in.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Why a 77X?

Well thats easy, the options within the TG fleet none of them are a good fit for 500 odd mile domestic route. 

Pick your poison; B77X, A330, A350, A380(that just makes me laugh, so they probably would), or a B78X.

Of their fleet the 78X would be the least worst option

On 12/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, mtls2005 said:

Think these are in limbo?

Thai Airways puts the brakes on new Boeing 777s

The airline says it's in negotiations with Boeing over the fate of three factory-fresh 777s with new first class suites.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/thai-airways-new-boeing-777-deliveries

But then again...

Exclusive: BOC Aviation agrees 777-300ER leases

Singapore-based lessor BOC Aviation confirms that it has outstanding orders for three new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and that all three aircraft have been contractually agreed to go on operating lease with Thai Airways. The aircraft are expected to be delivered in 2021.

The first aircraft has been produced; it was painted into Thai Airways’ base colours this week. Airfinance Journal understands that the three incoming 777-300ERs will have the internal airline code ‘77V’ and that they will be the first Thai Airways 777-300ER aircraft to feature first class seating.

https://www.airfinancejournal.com/articles/3581522/exclusive-boc-aviation-agrees-new-777-300er-leases

YMMV.

The silence surrounding the purchase of these aircraft is ear shattering. As one of the articles points out these aircraft were purchased in 2018 at a time when THAI was already in deep financial trouble. The lure of the envelopes must have been too strong. And no one is saying that THAI will be let off to hook to take delivery. Another story says there is desperate negotiations taking place to to try and wriggle out of the contract. But mum's the word....no one is saying anything. THAI needs another threes 777s like they need a hole in the head. That's on top of the 20 they already have .

Has any comment been made about any sales made in the recent aircraft fire sale?

https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways-new-777/

https://simpleflying.com/thai-airways-777-delivery/#:~:text=The flag carrier of Thailand,in Everett on December 8th.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/tg-boeing-777-colors/