SURVEY: Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?  

430 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RR2020 said:

One thing is sure.

No country is allowing non-citizens to get the vaccine.

So as it stands now, any expat in Thailand who wants a vaccine has to return to their home country to get it. Then come back and quarantine on arrival again.

Belgium has decided to make vaccination available to all legal residents, including non citizens, such as my wife.

Just now, oldhippy said:

Belgium has decided to make vaccination available to all legal residents, including non citizens, such as my wife.

Belgium has not got any vaccine.

And will not have any like all other EU countries until late January at the earliest.  Maybe later.

The point of my post is............  expats in Thailand will not be getting any of the limited supply Thailand has purchased I am very sure of that.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

One thing is sure.

No country is allowing non-citizens to get the vaccine.

So as it stands now, any expat in Thailand who wants a vaccine has to return to their home country to get it. Then come back and quarantine on arrival again.

I'm sure Farangs will be able to get it in Thailand eventually.  After it is widely available.  You will probably be able to walk into any of those green cross medical clinics to get it.  You will have to pay for it but it probably won't be much.

It will be no different then getting a flu shot or any other widely available vaccine you can get right now.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

There will be limited vaccine supply until late 2022.

So yes, you "might" be able to buy the vaccine in Thailand in 2023........long time to wait.    Any expat can return to their home country and get it free, in the coming months - before vaccine supplies even land in Thailand.   

4 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

There will be limited vaccine supply until late 2022.

So yes, you "might" be able to buy the vaccine in Thailand in 2023........long time to wait.    Any expat can return to their home country and get it free, in the coming months - before vaccine supplies even land in Thailand.   

I doubt it will be that long.  Probably end of 2021 at the latest.  Not everyone will choose to get it.  Could be as high as 40% of the worlds population will choose not to.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

And will not have any like all other EU countries until late January at the earliest.  Maybe later.

The point of my post is............  expats in Thailand will not be getting any of the limited supply Thailand has purchased I am very sure of that.

That would only be because they haven't approved it yet.  The Pfizer vaccine is made in Belgium so they can certainly get it if they want to.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, shdmn said:

You are talking about 2 different things.  Spreading around the virus that came from other people from door handles or whatever is NOT the same as becoming a host spreader of the virus yourself which is all we are talking about.   

Washing your hands is always a good idea.  It was recommended before the virus came along and will continue to be recommended after everyone is vaccinated.

Agreed - a host spread, specifically an unwell host spreader is the major concern. 

Two factors: SARS-CoV-2 and Covid-19.

I am left questioning if the Vaccines just make someone less susceptible to contracting Covid-19 completely, or if the vaccines just prevent people from suffering from Covid-19. i.e. does the vaccine simply may 95% of people asymptomatic to Covid-19 while they still carry the SARS-CoV-2 virus (just as an asymptomatic does) ????

Obviously those suffering minor Covid-19 symptoms present greater risk of spreading the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

How many people are immune to Covid-19, what percentage of the population could contract Covid-19 and not be symptomatic? and thus never spread a higher viral load in the first place ?

Thus (and this is a question): IF 90% of those exposed to SARS-CoV-2 are asymptomatic of Covid-19, 10% suffer symptoms and the Vaccine has a 95% efficacy, 0.5% of the total suffer symptoms (of varying severity).

For the 90% who would normally be asymptomatic does taking the vaccine make any difference at all?

Does the vaccine kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the host or does it simply make that person less susceptible to contracting a case of Covid-19 with symptoms?

Its possible SARS-CoV-2 is going nowhere and like a cold we will all be exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but simply not contract Covid-19. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RR2020 said:

Belgium is one of the main producers of vaccine.

No, I certainly am not becoming a nationalist- chauvinist, but .....

https://www.laprensalatina.com/puurs-the-belgian-town-brewing-beer-and-a-covid-19-vaccine/

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed - a host spread, specifically an unwell host spreader is the major concern. 

Two factors: SARS-CoV-2 and Covid-19.

I am left questioning if the Vaccines just make someone less susceptible to contracting Covid-19 completely, or if the vaccines just prevent people from suffering from Covid-19. i.e. does the vaccine simply may 95% of people asymptomatic to Covid-19 while they still carry the SARS-CoV-2 virus (just as an asymptomatic does) ????

Obviously those suffering minor Covid-19 symptoms present greater risk of spreading the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

How many people are immune to Covid-19, what percentage of the population could contract Covid-19 and not be symptomatic? and thus never spread a higher viral load in the first place ?

Thus (and this is a question): IF 90% of those exposed to SARS-CoV-2 are asymptomatic of Covid-19, 10% suffer symptoms and the Vaccine has a 95% efficacy, 0.5% of the total suffer symptoms (of varying severity).

For the 90% who would normally be asymptomatic does taking the vaccine make any difference at all?

Does the vaccine kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the host or does it simply make that person less susceptible to contracting a case of Covid-19 with symptoms?

Its possible SARS-CoV-2 is going nowhere and like a cold we will all be exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but simply not contract Covid-19. 

Will vaccinated people still be able to tranfer the virus?

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Because of mutations?

But then the vaccine would also need to be changed yearly or monthly to accommodate those mutations much like the flu vaccines they have based upon your Area or zone.  The flu vaccine in Asia is different than in the USA.  See where this is leading.  Lots of questions and issues if the efficacy is only 70 to 95% after having a jab.  Antibody testing should be done first to ensure you either have them or you do not just like the Hepatitis B, MMR, or Varicella vaccination programs.  If you have antibodies then only a Titer shot is needed every so often to keep the immunity 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But then the vaccine would also need to be changed yearly or monthly to accommodate those mutations much like the flu vaccines they have based upon your Area or zone.  The flu vaccine in Asia is different than in the USA.  See where this is leading.  Lots of questions and issues if the efficacy is only 70 to 95% after having a jab.  Antibody testing should be done first to ensure you either have them or you do not just like the Hepatitis B, MMR, or Varicella vaccination programs.  If you have antibodies then only a Titer shot is needed every so often to keep the immunity 

QUOTE: If you have antibodies then only a Titer shot is needed every so often to keep the immunity 

That is, as we all HOPE, if the antibodies work against mutated covid.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why not have an antibody test first to see if you have had the virus and beat it already. Why would a vaccine be needed then if you have the antibodies already? 

How long do those antibodies last in your system, are they in large enough numbers to prevent a reinfection or the asymptomatic carrying of the virus, or do they even do that? There are a lot of popular ideas based on the popular notion of herd immunity & what fun these popular ideas are. Count on serious scientific testing of these "popular notions"  to begin only after the vaccines are fully developed and working. 

15 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

No, just have the entire world move all operations out of China and stop doing business with them. All they have to offer the world is cheap labor and we all can get by without that.

The BBC was reporting this morning on the slave labor in Xinjiang. The World should boycott cotton and clothing from China!!

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

It will take many years before all age groups can be vaccinated, those under 40 will likely never be offered a vaccine.

Let's hope that as many as possible are vaccinated. This includes children over a few years of age. It's the only way to control Covid. If, when 70% are vaccinated, exceptional cases, the 5% that still get infected, can be traced. That tracing will be needed to study other questions, such as whether asymptomatic people can become infected and spread Covid on, in spite of having been vaccinated, an eventuality that has been suggested for further investigation.

12 hours ago, RR2020 said:

It's been reported that Pfizer is producing their vaccine in Belgium and is sending some to the US. Thailand has licensed and has a plan to produce the Oxford vaccine for domestic use and distribution in the region.

18 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Belgium is one of the main producers of vaccine.

No, I certainly am not becoming a nationalist- chauvinist, but .....

https://www.laprensalatina.com/puurs-the-belgian-town-brewing-beer-and-a-covid-19-vaccine/

Belgium is an EU country.

They are not allowed to use the Pfizer vaccine until its been approved by the EU.

No vaccine can be given in any EU country until the EU approves it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

They are not allowed to use the Pfizer vaccine until its been approved by the EU.

That in itself makes BREXIT all the more worthwhile. The UK is already vaccinating people....up yours EU!

• Sad 2

Like a seasonal flu jab, it's not an immunization. It doesn't make any difference if travelers have the shot or otherwise. You may as well just keep on PCR swabbing noses and throats, quarantine the +ve's for only as long as it takes for testing to verify if it's either a false positive, the viral load has diminished or there's no shedding. Let's get the world back on track.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Incorrect. The health authorities of the governments of individual EU member nations can decide if and when they want to use any vaccine. I understand that Hungary is already doling out the Russian 'Sputnik' jab.

"Hungary can purchase and distribute the Russian-made vaccine against Covid-19 - but only if it invokes emergency procedures and keeps it within its own borders, the EU warned on Monday (30 November)."

https://euobserver.com/coronavirus/150228

"The American-German Pfizer vaccine can be licensed soon in Hungary; furthermore, the first vaccinations can already begin in December."

https://dailynewshungary.com/pfizer-to-be-the-first-coronavirus-vaccine-in-hungary/

The myth about the EU calling the shots on the shots was shot down by the UK's own Matt Hancock as soon as the No deal Brexiteers invented it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Incorrect. The health authorities of the governments of individual EU member nations can decide if and when they want to use any vaccine. I understand that Hungary is already doling out the Russian 'Sputnik' jab.

"Hungary can purchase and distribute the Russian-made vaccine against Covid-19 - but only if it invokes emergency procedures and keeps it within its own borders, the EU warned on Monday (30 November)."

"The American-German Pfizer vaccine can be licensed soon in Hungary; furthermore, the first vaccinations can already begin in December."

https://dailynewshungary.com/pfizer-to-be-the-first-coronavirus-vaccine-in-hungary/

The myth about the EU calling the shots on the shots was shot down by the UK's own Matt Hancock as soon as the No deal Brexiteers invented it.

If  T*at Wancock told me it was raining, I'd look outside to check. ????  But even he can be right once I suppose!

Sincerely yours, a Brexiteer 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Awaiting EU approval.

Belgium and other EU countries could be set to follow UK with vaccine rollout (theparliamentmagazine.eu)

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why not have an antibody test first to see if you have had the virus and beat it already. Why would a vaccine be needed then if you have the antibodies already? 

Traveling to Norway and having documentation of antibodies not older than 6 months entitles international arrivals exempt from a 10 days mandatory quarantine. Allegedly the antibodies for Covid-19 does not last longer. So in the long run a vaccine outruns antibodies.

• Like 1

Well once in the country I seriously doubt vaccination will be mandatory.. And I kind of took it for granted that the question was about those foreigners arriving from abroad. But for those arriving it most likely will be mandatory, once the vaccine is widely available. I'm sure the quarantine option will be available for a forseeable future too. In my own situation coming and leaving there is no other option than a vaccine.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, Moonlover said:

The question that the survey asked was: 'Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?' It said nothing about travel.

So here I am, a foreigner in Thailand who does not intend to travel (at least not abroad) and doesn't intend to have a Covid 19 vaccine either. Yep, you're right. It's very easy.

Well once in the country I seriously doubt vaccination will be mandatory.. And I kind of took it for granted that the question was about those foreigners arriving from abroad. But for those arriving it most likely will be mandatory, once the vaccine is widely available. I'm sure the quarantine option will be available for a forseeable future too. In my own situation coming and leaving there is no other option than a vaccine.