Who want Covid 19 vaccine?

Tagged

Vaccine   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:
9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

As far I have read, those where not permanent facial paralysis

seeing through what was written in that link...

"...monitor (lop) side-effects of the vaccine..."   

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Heng said:

Well, wouldn't take it tomorrow because I'd rather have 200-300 million people test it for me first, but yes, in about 8 months in time for next ski season.    

That was my thought to, but it is about future insurance and the freedom of travel! If those two on the stake, Im sure I have to do it. I can live well two years without income, but the third year I will be on a budget I prefer not to do unless absolutely necessery.

• Like 1

Personally I would like to have seen significant animals studies to be undertaken prior to the fast-tracking of the vaccinations.

Issues in the past regarding SARS and MERS animal studies indicated that there may be significant risks to those inoculated and then who afterwards encounter the live viruses.  Studies can be found under the topic of pathogenic priming and antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) post inoculation in medical journals, examples of which include studies such as the NIH Pubmed article Pathogenic priming likely contributes to serious and critical illness and mortality in COVID-19 via autoimmunity. 
There are similar issues with Dengue research regarding ADE as published in the Swiss Medical Weekly under the title: Is antibody-dependent enhancement playing a role in COVID-19 pathogenesis?  I've had Dengue and would be interested in a vaccination, but - I read the research and I think it needs further study before I'd be willing to take the vaccine.  Just as I believe that SARS-Cov-2 vaccines needs significantly more study as well as animal testing.  But here they are: fast-tracked with humans as the subjects.
I personally don't want any of these vaccines until there are two to three years of data backing their safety, especially when considering past animal studies involving SARS spiked proteins that didn't turn out very well for the test animal subjected to life viruses.  If others want the vaccine, imho, that's up to the individual.  But given that the vaccine research and animal testing is not exhaustive, then each individual should have that choice. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe you should have added a question for those not trapped outside : Would you take the vaccine if it was required for the visa extensions, or make plans to leave Thailand.

the million dollar question. i am positive this will be a requirement eventually. 

Starting Monday the 14th in the US, the first vaccinations will start and they are optimistic that by May everyone who has wanted to be vaccinated will have been.  Additionally it appears the vaccine will be picked up by most health insurance companies.

The Covid-19 Vaccine Is Coming, but Pre-Pandemic Life Will Remain Out of Reach (msn.com)

Trump Operation Warp Speed Chief 'Confident' Most Americans Will Have COVID Vaccine by May (msn.com)

So as far as obtaining the vaccine here in Thailand I do believe that all of us residing in Thailand will be at the far end of the spectrum as far as being vaccinated if you wish to be, and who knows what the cost may be.  My US insurance company will reimburse me if my Thai HI will not.

US expects insurers to cover COVID vaccine without copays - ABC News (go.com)

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Any number of conditions are bound to occur in a group of tens of thousands of people. This does not mean the vaccine is responsible.

Drug trials are specifically designed to test for whether the vaccinated group, in comparison to the placebo group, experiences more of any type of adverse event.

The drug trial, which included tens of thousands of people, did nto find a statistically significant increase in numbers with bell's palsy. The number of occurrences was consistent with what would be expected in a group of that size...and some of these occurrences happened long after the vaccination (i.e. more than a month later).

It is possible that once it has been administered on a mass scale there will be a significantly greater occcurrence among vaccine recipients but if so it will be at a very, very low order of magnitude i.e. 1 in 10,000 or so. Less than could be established in a trial of 40,000 people.

Even the vaccine manufacturers are predicting for 10% it won't work.

That is just a starting prediction. 

• Sad 1

It's a no-brainer, I'm in the high risk age group.

I've been vaccinated for typhoid, cholera, hepatitis, pneumonia, influenza, polio, tetanus and tuberculosis. I just wonder how long I would have lived without those jabs.

My only beef is they sometimes have prevented me playing golf for a day or so, due to arm soreness.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Even the vaccine manufacturers are predicting for 10% it won't work.

That is just a starting prediction. 

so what?

if it works for 90%, it will work by breaking the chain of infection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe you should have added a question for those not trapped outside : Would you take the vaccine if it was required for the visa extensions, or make plans to leave Thailand.

Pretty much covered in this thread as one of the options is

"Yes, once widely available, foreigners should be required to be vaccinated."

which to me means all foreigners not just those already present - easy enough....show your vac certificate when you attend Immigration.

Edited by VBF

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

There is no indication thus far, and none recognized by the various health authorities, that the taking of the vaccine CAUSED those symptoms.

"The FDA briefing documents also show that it is true that there were four cases of Bell’s Palsy among those who received the vaccine (here). Bell’s Palsy is a sudden weakness or freezing of muscles on one side of the face, which in most cases is temporary ( here , here ).

The briefing says that the frequency of Bell’s Palsy in the vaccine group is “consistent with the expected background rate in the general population”, adding there is “no clear basis upon which to conclude a causal relationship at this time”. The FDA said it would, however, recommend “surveillance” for cases of Bell’s Palsy as the vaccine is sent out to larger groups of people."

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-pfizer-health-concerns/fact-check-clarifying-claims-around-pfizer-vaccine-deaths-and-side-effects-idUSKBN28K2R6

Yes more animal testing would have been good, but what we're about to get is MASS volunteer human testing, so the results should be a pretty good/even better determination of effectiveness and (short/medium term at least) side effects.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's a no-brainer, I'm in the high risk age group.

I've been vaccinated for typhoid, cholera, hepatitis, pneumonia, influenza, polio, tetanus and tuberculosis. I just wonder how long I would have lived without those jabs.

My only beef is they sometimes have prevented me playing golf for a day or so, due to arm soreness.

Well, I've made it to 65 with only polio and tetanus (given when I was too young to say no).

Interestingly polio is mainly spread by drinking water contaminated with human feces, so I suspect I could have done without that as well.

Covid, suspect I've already had it and it wasn't that bad, so don't really want a vaccine. 

If it becomes important to have a certificate of vaccination, I'll try and bribe the nurse to claim I was vaccinated.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 3

At this point I would rather have an antibody test to see if I might have had the virus back in January.  I was down sick as a dog for almost 3 weeks, and my breathing was an issue.  After the first week I was sick I went and saw the Doctor who diagnosed me with viral pneumonia, put me on prednisone and Zithromax, then sent me home.  After another week I returned to see him as I was not getting better, and so he upped the prednisone and put me on some steroids after having a chest x-ray done.  Slowly got better, but it was hell.  Up until I came down with whatever it truly was I was running 6 to 8 km a day at a 8 minute pace.  Once I was better, I started to walk again, but it left me winded, and of course by then they had shut Lumpini park down.  I still have some diminished lung capacity and now can only Jog/walk.  Slowly getting better.   Would be very interested to see if I have any Covid-19 antibodies in my system.  Back in August, when I had a full physical, I asked the doctor about having a Covid test and was told that unless I presented with the symptoms and signs they needed to see I could not be tested.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Only concern is being vaccinated with a chinese or fake vaccine.

Icing on the cake would be getting charged triple for it.  555

Quite slim risk I would believe. I do not believe it will be an expensive vaccine, I will go to a BKK Hospital getting next summer. Believe they might have options next to choose from at that time

12 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

I feel I'd rather take Russia's vaccine than the one put out in the states by Pfizer. I believe I read somewhere the name of the company that will have it's product distributed in Thailand. Perhaps, I should read more..

The Oxford vaccine is what thai goverment have an deal with to be produced here.  Most likely very few of the Pfizer will arrive Thailand due to the need of be stored and transported below -70c

Edited by Tagged
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 6:13 AM, Sheryl said:

This vaccine long passed the stage of animal testing and further animal testing would not be of any use or provide any useful information.

It has already passed Phase  III clinical trial in humans. The only additional "testing" one could do is a larger scale Phase III that removes all exclusion criteria present in the initial trial (except for exclusions that would apply in widespread use).  That is not usually done, rather it is usual to rely on post-marketing surveillance for this purpose.  It certainly would not be indicated given the urgent need for this and the costs - financial, human etc -- in not having a vaccine deployed.

There will be additional information obtained through post-marketing surveillance and also still some from the Phase III trial, especially as regards duration of protection as that is the main unknown and obviously can only be determined with the passage of time. And possibly - though I do nto know if this is being tested for -- information on the extent to which the vaccine prevents people from being able to transmit the virus.

And in support of that, a good friend of mine is a retired UK Government official (he actually rose to be Private Secretary to various Ministers)

In normal times, the main reason a vaccine (or many other drugs) takes so long to be approved isn't the actual testing.

It's the layer upon layer of red tape, approvals, committees and sub-committees and associated administration that get involved causing 6 months of work to become protracted over several years.

With the Covid vaccines, much of this nonsense has thankfully been "swerved" leaving the important work (what the scientists and doctors do) intact.

• Like 1