Chula U to raise 500 million baht for factory to produce Thailand’s COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

an ambitious project

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

to be produced from tobacco leaves.

I thought the Health minister said months ago Thailand had a vaccine

that would be ready in a few weeks, then nothing...was I dreaming or

was he ?

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't get the vaccine nationalism. We've already got three or four vaccines. Put the money in those.

I think that is what they are basically doing.  I think some companies are making their formula public so Thailand will probably just copy one of those.  It's probably not that different to how generic drugs are made. 

This is probably mostly about manufacturing it, which is supposely not that easy and expensive to do in large volumes.  Thailand does have some experience there so it's probably not a bad idea.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 3

Part of Thailand's Baht strength problem is according to them their HUGE Foreign reserves, well give the University 500 Mill Baht, lower the foreign reserves, why should the PUBLIC stump up when the Govt is rolling in foreign CASH 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Chulalongkorn University will launch a campaign this Friday to encourage members of the public to donate in support of an ambitious project for the development and production of Thailand’s domestically developed COVID-19 vaccine, to be produced from tobacco leaves.

Why does this remind me of the story yesterday:

'Thai business woman says she was defrauded of 42 million baht by medium'

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, partington said:

No, this is clearly not the case from the original article.   The Thai vaccine will be made from genetically modified plants (if this ever actually occurs).  None of the other current vaccines use anything like this technology.

The manufacturing steps for isolating injectable proteins from plant leaves have nothing in common  at all with making mRNA  ( basis of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines ) which is a chemical synthesis, or making large quantities of viruses  ( basis of Russian Sputnik and Oxford AstraZeneca vaccines) by growing huge amounts of mammalian cells in culture. 

The world needs as many working vaccines as possible, so all efforts are worthwhile.   However this potential plant produced vaccine has never been tested on a single human subject, and there is no indication at all that it will be successful at even raising an immune response.  They are many years from needing a factory!

'The Thai vaccine will be made from genetically modified plants'   That makes me think of the most dangerous company in the world, Monsanto (now taken over by Bayer)

6 hours ago, partington said:

No, this is clearly not the case from the original article.   The Thai vaccine will be made from genetically modified plants (if this ever actually occurs).  None of the other current vaccines use anything like this technology.

The manufacturing steps for isolating injectable proteins from plant leaves have nothing in common  at all with making mRNA  ( basis of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines ) which is a chemical synthesis, or making large quantities of viruses  ( basis of Russian Sputnik and Oxford AstraZeneca vaccines) by growing huge amounts of mammalian cells in culture. 

The world needs as many working vaccines as possible, so all efforts are worthwhile.   However this potential plant produced vaccine has never been tested on a single human subject, and there is no indication at all that it will be successful at even raising an immune response.  They are many years from needing a factory!

Has it even been tested on a single animal subject?

On 12/16/2020 at 3:59 AM, BlueScouse said:

"the donors will have privileged access to the vaccine, once the vaccine has been approved for use and distribution, in line with the laws or regulations"

Bribing investors with a promise to jump the queue?

People with that kind of money don't bother "jumping" anything. It's delivered to them on a golden platter. 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:36 PM, Olivie said:

The vaccine needs 2 doses. Thailand population is 70 millions.
So they need 140 years to vaccinate all thais...

That looks more like a scam but they are not smart enough to give bigger numbers. They should have asked TAT before...

The first year passes only for the construction of the plant and the planting of the machinery, which is why it will be only one million doses and that is very optimistic in just one year making the first doses will already be a success, I assume that in the second year the plant will produce at full efficiency for tens or thirty of millions of vaccines.

It is only scandalous that the government does not invest directly but that the population is being asked to participate.

Edited by ICELANDMAN