After the White House, Trump faces uncertain future and legal threats

webfact

8 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

New york state AG will file charges once he is no longer president. Lock up  his grifter family too. 

I won't put odds on that but that is a very serious threat to the soon to be ex-president. So there are three ways to defend against that:

The usual way with lawyers and money

Fleeing the country

Weaponizing his brand into a shadow presidency with media empire and armed militias

Fleeing the country is the surest bet to avoid consequences, but I just don't see him as the type to do that.

Also he would need to be clever enough to get his money out too and consider the impact on his ambitious children. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve got my opinion and I have my track record on both Biden and Trump.

Here’s a fact, we none of yet know the extent of Trump’s crimes, we do know he’s been hiding transcripts of calls with the very same people he is alleged to have conspired with.

We also know Bill Barr has been closing down investigations relating to or close to Trump.

Let’s see the extent of Trump’s crimes before we accept these fanciful ideas that he will not face Federal prosecution.

You have a charming conviction that the facts of his crimes will determine whether or not Trump faces federal prosecution, but the evidence is that this is not how it work.  As I pointed out, President Obama was presented the evidence supporting charges of conducting torture by the CIA, but it was he, Obama, who declined to prosecute, not some staff attorney at DoJ.  Similarly, President Ford decided to pardon Nixon.  When asked about the possibility of a prosecution of Trump, Candidate Biden did not respond, "Why are you asking me that question, since it will obviously be up to the Atty Gen?"  Instead, Biden replied that he thought such a prosecution would be "bad for democracy." 

The decision on whether to prosecute Trump will be a political decision which will effectively be made when Biden picks his Atty Gen.  That's just how these things work.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You have a charming conviction that the facts of his crimes will determine whether or not Trump faces federal prosecution, but the evidence is that this is not how it work.  As I pointed out, President Obama was presented the evidence supporting charges of conducting torture by the CIA, but it was he, Obama, who declined to prosecute, not some staff attorney at DoJ.  Similarly, President Ford decided to pardon Nixon.  When asked about the possibility of a prosecution of Trump, Candidate Biden did not respond, "Why are you asking me that question, since it will obviously be up to the Atty Gen?"  Instead, Biden replied that he thought such a prosecution would be "bad for democracy." 

The decision on whether to prosecute Trump will be a political decision which will effectively be made when Biden picks his Atty Gen.  That's just how these things work.  

I agree and I think it's already clear that Biden's attorney general is going to be on board with not going after Mr. trump.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, joecoolfrog said:

I think he will brazen it out , keep telling porkies and rely on his cult following believing the nonsense.

A pardon or skipping the country means accepting guilt and failure , cant see his ego swallowing that .

Yes but he still faces the risk of ending up in the hoosegow. 

10 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

New york state AG will file charges once he is no longer president. Lock up  his grifter family too. 

We certainly hope so, but it's worth remembering that so far the investigation being conducted by NY Atty Gen Leticia James is purely a civil action, i.e. one that could result in fines, but not imprisonment.  Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance, Jr. is conducting a criminal investigation of Trump and the Trump Org, but we should also keep in mind that Vance previously shut down an investigation of Don Jr. and Ivanka for real estate fraud just after having lunch with Marc Kassovitz, a lawyer for Trump and a contributor to Vance's re-election campaign.  A few weeks after dropping the investigation Kassowitz made an additional contribution to the Vance campaign of $50,000.

So, it is far from a done deal that the prosecutors in NY State will indeed put Trump away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With Trump and Mar a Lago, I'm not sure the issue is any local law there... as much as it is the legal agreements Trump himself has signed along the way as part of the past process of converting his residence into a private club. That's where he committed to the place not allowing any ongoing permanent residents.

Fair enough. In any case he's technically not allowed to live there as his primary residence and that is legally binding. Something has got to give on that or he won't be able to live there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I agree with your reasoning that that is most likely to happen.

But I'm still in dubio whether this is the right course. On one hand I understand Biden's fear that a Trump prosecution will only deepen the rift, on the other hand I do understand the want for punishment of his illegalities.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With Trump and Mar a Lago, I'm not sure the issue is any local law there... as much as it is the legal agreements Trump himself has signed along the way as part of the past process of converting his residence into a private club. That's where he committed to the place not allowing any ongoing permanent residents.

Can't that be changed to a residency now, or combination of residency/club?

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, best ever for disrupting and demonizing the U.S. tradition of democratic governance and government. Best ever would-be U.S. dictator.

that boat has sailed a long time ago, don't confuse popular election with democracy, and the POTUS has very little power at the end

Congress is corrupted by lobbies and self-interest, with no vision for at least the last 4 POTUS (Clinton was the last with a vision)

Obama was a complete failure, and a nasty person, despite being very "presidential" and handsome, and very good for public relations

Trump had a vision, despite his "disruptive" and "unPC" ways, and he was addressing a reality, the neglected of the red states

Biden is not going to be able to solve much, probably less than Trump, but at least he will look pretty on TV and be well maneured 

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. process of citizens voting for and electing their president and legislators IS a key and core part of the U.S. democratic tradition, and that's exactly what Trump has been attempting to subvert and discredit with baseless and discredited election fraud allegations. He's attempted to bring into disrepute a core element of the U.S. democracy.

Not to mention, regularly ignoring and evading the Constitutional prerogative of Congress' role of oversight over the executive branch, another core tenet of the U.S. constitutional and democratic system.

When Trump strikes out at the U.S. system of public elections, he strikes out at the heart of the U.S. democracy.

Well put!

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. process of citizens voting for and electing their president and legislators IS a key and core part of the U.S. democratic tradition, and that's exactly what Trump has been attempting to subvert and discredit with baseless and discredited election fraud allegations. He's attempted to bring into disrepute a core element of the U.S. democracy.

Not to mention, regularly ignoring and evading the Constitutional prerogative of Congress' role of oversight over the executive branch, another core tenet of the U.S. constitutional and democratic system.

When Trump strikes out at the U.S. system of public elections, he strikes out at the heart of the U.S. democracy.

At the Heart of US democracy is the US constitution which may yet prove interesting in the week commencing on the 6th of January...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1