What Breed For A House Guard Dog?

Since we're sharing pictures, here's a few (not all, by any means! :o ) of our rescue dogs who would be terrific guard dogs. They are all territorial & barkers, but so loving to their carers :D All Thai mixes - so that makes them hardy, adaptable, smart & super-loving!

post-33179-1180708973_thumb.jpg Jet was emaciated to the point of near death. He was hunched over, couldn't walk, could barely respond & had very little hair. Some time, food & TLC later - just look at him :D Jet has the distinction of being sponsored by our own Ms Jet Gorgon! :D

post-33179-1180709195_thumb.jpg Chad was hit by a car which broke both of his front legs & some of his upper front teeth. He's completely healed now. A stocky little lad he reminds me of a lab cross, but he has the Thai ridge back.

post-33179-1180709282_thumb.jpg Rocky is my pirate adventurer dog. He was on the periphery of a pack of soi dogs I feed. One day I noticed a mud plastered mass on his cheek. It was his eye. I sedated him & took him in. His eye was removed, he recuperated & I neutered & vaccinated him & put him back on the street (as I could keep an eye on him - no pun intended!). Rocky wasn't having that, he kept coming back to me, until I took him in. He's now alpha male of one of my larger enclosures.

post-33179-1180709500_thumb.jpg Zig is one of twin females brought in with mange & malnutrition. She's a terror with other female dogs, she has caused a few bite wounds, but she loves male dogs & people. She's very territorial & very beautiful, IMO

Edited by November Rain

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're sharing pictures, here's a few (not all, by any means! :o ) of our rescue dogs who would be terrific guard dogs. They are all territorial & barkers, but so loving to their carers :D All Thai mixes - so that makes them hardy, adaptable, smart & super-loving!

post-33179-1180708973_thumb.jpg Jet was emaciated to the point of near death. He was hunched over, couldn't walk, could barely respond & had very little hair. Some time, food & TLC later - just look at him :D Jet has the distinction of being sponsored by our own Ms Jet Gorgon! :D

post-33179-1180709195_thumb.jpg Chad was hit by a car which broke both of his front legs & some of his upper front teeth. He's completely healed now. A stocky little lad he reminds me of a lab cross, but he has the Thai ridge back.

post-33179-1180709282_thumb.jpg Rocky is my pirate adventurer dog. He was on the periphery of a pack of soi dogs I feed. One day I noticed a mud plastered mass on his cheek. It was his eye. I sedated him & took him in. His eye was removed, he recuperated & I neutered & vaccinated him & put him back on the street (as I could keep an eye on him - no pun intended!). Rocky wasn't having that, he kept coming back to me, until I took him in. He's now alpha male of one of my larger enclosures.

post-33179-1180709500_thumb.jpg Zig is one of twin females brought in with mange & malnutrition. She's a terror with other female dogs, she has caused a few bite wounds, but she loves male dogs & people. She's very territorial & very beautiful, IMO

I have a tear in my eye, you are a special person indeed, :D

Oh, I like Chad!!! He certainly looks like a lab-mix and a good soul.

You should place more often pic's in the pinned subject selling/for free dogs, NR, with a little description of their dogginalities and with whom the can or cannot go together. So many people here who read the forum.

Nienke

Jet would definitely be the one for for me, he looks so lovely, they all do!

My first dog was a rescue called Jet (crossbreed collie type), and since we're talking guard dogs here, I'll tell you what he did one time when he thought I was threatened, (this was in London).

I was loading up the car for a trip and a neighbour (that my dog had not met) crept up behind me & tickled me as a surprise..... well I screamed in shock, my dog (Jet) appeared out of nowhere, knocked the guy flat and then sat quietly in between me & the neighbour waiting to see what he would do next.

I think the neighbour was a bit surprised when I praised my dog, but he was doing his job, no-one hurt, not a bark or even a growl! I still miss that dog....and my current two aren't quite there yet, at only 2 & 3, but I would expect them to 'guard' in the same way, there may not ever be a need for more aggression and they need to be clever enough to make a judgement on that.

ZZD

Wow! Great stories and great snaps!

I'll use Jet's photo for my screen saver. Thanks for his pic, NR!

I do like Zag, too. She reminds me of the ridgecross stray I had. She beat on almost all the other dogs in the neighbourhood except one jumbo male and they patrolled the whole beach every morning. His owners had a big two-storey house with a roof garden. Sometimes the ridge would be up there in the morning -- we think she scaled the wall and then managed to jump up to the top. Incredible dog. Always in fights tho and hated everybody (obviously beaten when young), except her husband's mom and me. She used to sleep on the steps of a Dane's bungalow and every night when he came home drunk, she bit him. 555 I started feeding her and well, dog lovers know the rest. When I adopted a mange- and flea-ridden runt from a 16-pup litter (two moms), the ridge would make a point of giving him a nip every morning to show who was boss. :o Loyal to the max tho and also had that "show teeth" smile like Zag. Also took about five years before she would come in the house, but as she aged, she found it safe on her blanket inside with my cats. Another training story. Villagers hated her and put poison down to take her out; they managed to kill off six dogs, including her husband, but not her. Friends looked after her when I worked overseas for awhile. Then somebody put poison in her own bowl. She did eat that and died. We reckoned she was about 12; not bad for living the first few years of her life as a stray.

Oh ya, she never got preggers either and peed like a male (lifted her leg up).

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Thanks nienke, we have a lot in common, old softies !your picture is now my screensaver , thankyou,

This is my screen saver and avatar and picture on the wall :o :

Picture taken 3 months before her death:

Nienke

Any excuse :D

Max.jpg

Thanks nienke, we have a lot in common, old softies !your picture is now my screensaver , thankyou,

This is my screen saver and avatar and picture on the wall :D :

Picture taken 3 months before her death:

Nienke

Any excuse :D

Max.jpg

What a lovely girl,. makes me want another boxer, beautiful ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

Golden Retriver; a really friendly breed. Great around children and friends, however like any animal one must use care around very young children. :o Check web site: www.goldenretriver.com

Big Snake, there are several of us in this thread that love goldens. However, the OP wanted to know what breed of dog would make a good house guard. Goldens rank among the worse. While they may initially bark at an intruder, they will end up letting the thief take anything he wants. While the thief is in process, Mobi's dog would jump on the thief and try to lick him to death while mine would take the other form of golden attack, that being jumping on the thief with a ball in her mouth saying let's play.

Goldens are great dogs, but just not as guard dogs.

Golden Retriver; a really friendly breed. Great around children and friends, however like any animal one must use care around very young children. :o Check web site: www.goldenretriver.com

Big Snake, there are several of us in this thread that love goldens. However, the OP wanted to know what breed of dog would make a good house guard. Goldens rank among the worse. While they may initially bark at an intruder, they will end up letting the thief take anything he wants. While the thief is in process, Mobi's dog would jump on the thief and try to lick him to death while mine would take the other form of golden attack, that being jumping on the thief with a ball in her mouth saying let's play.

:D Yessiree. Nice summation, OMR.

:D Yessiree. Nice summation, OMR.

And the boxer :D:D:bah: got it all; good with children, good guard/watch dog, super sweet, super funny

Ok, ok ok, I'll stop now promoting this most fantastic animal :D:bah:

Edited by Nienke

as much as i love my goldens and enjoy your love declarations to the boxer, i want to add that all these lovely features can also be found in a mix (soi dog). most importantly to get a puppy and raise it with loving treatment. the fist 4 months are significant for building character and behaviour...

for losing a beloved pet - it IS devastating and pain of grief lasts so long, forever. but still - it shouldn't keep from taking in a new pet... if you chose to love an animal it will be tears - tears of joy but also tears of sorrow will come one day...

the joy and love animals can give outweigh the pain of losing it by far, so give it a chance and enjoy :o

as much as i love my goldens and enjoy your love declarations to the boxer, i want to add that all these lovely features can also be found in a mix (soi dog). most importantly to get a puppy and raise it with loving treatment. the fist 4 months are significant for building character and behaviour...

for losing a beloved pet - it IS devastating and pain of grief lasts so long, forever. but still - it shouldn't keep from taking in a new pet... if you chose to love an animal it will be tears - tears of joy but also tears of sorrow will come one day...

the joy and love animals can give outweigh the pain of losing it by far, so give it a chance and enjoy :o

I know Elfe, was just kidding. See pic of Mee, somewhere above in this thread. I love him to pieces, not to mention all the other mixes I got in on a regular basis.

I would like to promote adopting an older dog as well, though. Not only puppies.

Getting a puppy means loads of effort and work in educating the animal.

Getting an older dog means the same!

With some time and effort (and lots of patience) you can turn an older dog in a fantastic four-legged best friends, despite his/her past.

The difference between a pup and an older dog is, that with the first you need time and effort to form a behavior that suits you, and with an older dog tyou need time and effort to change a behavior into one that suits you.

Taking a pup, this takes upto one and a half to two years. A time period that certainly is sufficient to change behavior in an older dog.

In other words, don't only look at the pups, give also the older dogs a very good look!

Nienke

nienke, agreed 1000% :D

i personally prefer older dogs, although puppies are too cute.

puppies are a lot of work (potty and other training, taking care of health which there is still lot more risk than in an adult etc), adults mean work too as long as you want to train them especially or have a problem dog. but in adults you can already see what you 'get'. you cannot turn any puppy into anything you want - they still have their genetic and individual features and personalities.

i raised so many puppies by now and they all live with me still, they were all treated the same (according to behaviour) but turned out to be all different characters :D they are all special, but one thing in common - they are adorable :o

I'm beginning to think we should get a Golden. However, I do believe I've heard of several cases where such beautiful dogs were stolen from the owners' homes, alledgedly for breeding. Is this a danger with a dog like this? Also, does anyone know if the J2J dog market sellers have them?

PLEASED don't get a dog -- or any other pet -- at J2J. Aside from the great risk that the pet you get will be ill, it is really not a good idea to patronize this place given its unethical treatment of pets..housing them in cramped, unsanitary conditions, selling puppies far too young to be separated from their mothers, etc. This forum is filled with J2J horror stories.

One of my niece's college classmates recently got a puppy there, not knowing any better. The poor thing was barely 4 weeks old if that (although he was represented to her as old enough) and immediately became dangerously ill. The girl's parents were going to throw it out on the street so my niece took him in. It is only due to weeks of intensive care received at the Mahidol Vetinary Medicine Hospital that the little puppy pulled through, and though he is healthy now, he still suffers -- and probably always will -- from being deprived of his mother much too soon.

Now of course you could take care not to accept one that is so young -- but do you really want to patronize a place that does such things in the first place?

post-33179-1180882585_thumb.jpg

Just got this photo on my computer.

This is Hobo. He's my dog (not HHDRC). He was a stray in Hong Kong and I brought him here when I came. He's a fantastic guard dog. Not because he's fierce (he's never bitten anyone, not even a nip), but because he's so bloomin' big. He's 33kg (not fat at all). He also has the deepest bark imaginable (think a canine Paul Robeson). And, he'll be 11 years old this December - doesn't look it, does he?

He's also a smiler. When he's happy to see you or if you tell him off, he lifts his upper lip and smiles at you. :o

post-33179-1180882585_thumb.jpg

Just got this photo on my computer.

This is Hobo. He's my dog (not HHDRC). He was a stray in Hong Kong and I brought him here when I came. He's a fantastic guard dog. Not because he's fierce (he's never bitten anyone, not even a nip), but because he's so bloomin' big. He's 33kg (not fat at all). He also has the deepest bark imaginable (think a canine Paul Robeson). And, he'll be 11 years old this December - doesn't look it, does he?

He's also a smiler. When he's happy to see you or if you tell him off, he lifts his upper lip and smiles at you. :o

hobo is beautiful!! do you have a pic with his eyes more open?

He IS beautiful November!

My biggest dog is 28 inches high and weighs 28 Kilos (easy to remember) everybody says he is huge, though nowhere near 33 Kilos, I bet Hobo is impressive, I know what you mean about the bark, does it rattle your ear drum?

Luckily big dogs don't do barking all the time like some carpet rats, (no offence, I do love all dogs, just prefer big).

Sheryl is right of course about getting a puppy from that place, sorry I don't know it.....but the other side of that coin is that they need rescuing too by the sound of it! (I do know how tricky it is for pups who lose mum too early, I hand reared two GSD from 2 days old)....obviously, anyone 'buying' a pet for a child needs to know they are healthy, very young pups are not a happy option.

ZZD

What Breed For A House Guard Dog?

Two ,

an ankle bitter for the initial aggression and a BIG beast to finish the job ................................. :D

:o Trust Mid.

I don't know this J2J place, but if it's like Chatuchak, then NO!

Hobo is a handsome devil, NR! Def some ridgey in there, but if he's that big, wonder what else. Never mind, the big deep bark I love. What a looker.

He IS beautiful November!

My biggest dog is 28 inches high and weighs 28 Kilos (easy to remember) everybody says he is huge, though nowhere near 33 Kilos, I bet Hobo is impressive, I know what you mean about the bark, does it rattle your ear drum?

Luckily big dogs don't do barking all the time like some carpet rats, (no offence, I do love all dogs, just prefer big).

Sheryl is right of course about getting a puppy from that place, sorry I don't know it.....but the other side of that coin is that they need rescuing too by the sound of it! (I do know how tricky it is for pups who lose mum too early, I hand reared two GSD from 2 days old)....obviously, anyone 'buying' a pet for a child needs to know they are healthy, very young pups are not a happy option.

ZZD

Reply is to the part I've put in bold. I do understand where you're coming from, but you shouldn't think of it that way. You're paying money. The breeder/vendor doesn't give a d@mn whether you're giving him money to rescue his pitiful animals or whether you think they're the best there. If he cared, he wouldn't be selling them like that, would he? I have some sick pups here, now. 8 of them with coughs, high temps & nasal discharge. One is having daily nebulisers as well as oral meds. I would never consider parting with any of them until 100% fit & healthy. That's what the vendors should be like. Bottom line to them is money. You pay, they'll keep on what they're doing. The only way to stop them is to remove money from the equation by not buying. Sadly, though, yes, these are living, sentient beings, rather than inanimate objects. :o

You want a guard dog? For around your house?

Take your time look around I'm sure some one has imported Australian cattle dogs. There adapted to the heat, smart, and quick. Fast enough to nip at the feet of huge bulls with out getting kicked. You can't let them run free around live stock with out some strict discipline because there bread to heard. If they are not used to kids they will try to heard them around, so need to be attuned to your commaands for control. There super smart, small to medium size, a few rides in the back of your truck its there truck now no one gets near the vehicle with out the alarm going off. There is no way an intruder can hit them with a club or other aggressive maneuver cause there just to fast. If said intruder makes a hasty retreat the dog will be getting little bits of his heals for quite a distance. Feel sorry for the persone trying to run away in flip-flops.

The key to handling working dogs is to establish a daily routine and make them understand all the little jobs that are there responsibility. Limit your commands to just a few in a relaxed voice, once they understand your commands they will wait patiently for a sign from you to act. Excessive barking can be cured buy giving the command to come next to you, then close your hand around there mussel and say stop when start to bark, they will test you when you say stop but just slowly move your hand towerd there mussel. Any way Australian blue healers, and a few others, one is called a kelpie usually black can run all day in the heat with not much water. I'm not from Australia but have bin around working dogs, sled dogs, pack dogs many years, those that had no sense of job or purpose were defiantly a royal pain. Those that had jobs didn't have time for mischief had to be ready for work in an instant. Good luck :o

I'm beginning to think we should get a Golden. However, I do believe I've heard of several cases where such beautiful dogs were stolen from the owners' homes, alledgedly for breeding. Is this a danger with a dog like this? Also, does anyone know if the J2J dog market sellers have them?

PLEASED don't get a dog -- or any other pet -- at J2J. Aside from the great risk that the pet you get will be ill, it is really not a good idea to patronize this place given its unethical treatment of pets..housing them in cramped, unsanitary conditions, selling puppies far too young to be separated from their mothers, etc. This forum is filled with J2J horror stories.

One of my niece's college classmates recently got a puppy there, not knowing any better. The poor thing was barely 4 weeks old if that (although he was represented to her as old enough) and immediately became dangerously ill. The girl's parents were going to throw it out on the street so my niece took him in. It is only due to weeks of intensive care received at the Mahidol Vetinary Medicine Hospital that the little puppy pulled through, and though he is healthy now, he still suffers -- and probably always will -- from being deprived of his mother much too soon.

Now of course you could take care not to accept one that is so young -- but do you really want to patronize a place that does such things in the first place?

Hi i've got 2 golden's2 girls,i bought them from the market,but in Pattaya,lovely little pups they where,now there 18 months old,fully grown,but there half the size of what they should be,so they turned out to be not 100% goldens,but never mind there lovely dogs and wouldnt change them for anything,mainly my point is,if you want to be sure,then look at buying from a breeder that will garauntee there what you want.Also as pups they loe ripping up plants,digging holes and stealing shoes.good luck...

Stealing your shoes? My dogs only ever stole and shredded the neighbours' shoes.

Cookie used to steal and eat all and every shoe she could find. If I so much as shook one flip flop off in the garden, it would disappear from sight like magic, only to be found later on the other side of the house, suitably mangled.

The wife and family had countless shoes ruined, before it got through to them that they must put their shoes indoors.

She would also eat anything else she found in the garden, including newspapers, kids toys, and plants, and plants and flowers and plants!:o I'd re-stock a flower bed one day, and come down the next morning and find all my plants uprooted and lying in a nice straight line outside my front door. :D She was so proud. :D

But now, she's 21 months old, and most of these habits have gone; she leaves shoes and plants alone - (and her balls last much longer than they used to), although I still advise everyone to put their shoes inside - just in case she yearns for a nibble.

Bottom line to them is money. You pay, they'll keep on what they're doing. The only way to stop them is to remove money from the equation by not buying. Sadly, though, yes, these are living, sentient beings, rather than inanimate objects. :o

Absolutely right, NR.

Please, people, listen to this! The ONLY way to stop this kind of puppy farm cruelty is to STOP buying from them.

You may 'safe' that particular puppy, but with that the horror goes on for the mother dog, who is kept in a (often small) cage 24/7 and needs to produce every half a year. Often she is kept under not too hygienic circumstances, doesn't receive the proper (health) care and the nutritious food she especially required during pregnacy, weaning and to recover after the weaning. Once she can't produce anymore, she is dumped on the streets or kept under even more horrific circumstances somewhere hidden out of sight in a cage 24/7, dying a slow and most miserable death. Not to mention what happens to the litter mates of the puppy you 'rescued'.

With that one (or two) puppy you safe, you keep the misery of many other dogs ongoing.

So, PLEASE, DO NOT BUY from them!

Of course, there are people who have bought a pup from one of those markets or pet shops and the pup grew into a healthy adult. Unfortunately, there are many many others who were not lucky with their purchase and went through lots of misery and high vet bills.

IF you want to safe a dog, then you'd better contact one of the many rescue organisation. There are also full-breds coming in there.

Nienke