Foreigners online slam "ridiculous" booze ban - no drinking from 6pm Saturday to 6pm Sunday

webfact

About time Foreigners residing here got a life and stop bloody whining and bloody GROW UP. Sorry but it has been the same for the last 17 years to my knowledge, just drink at home, those that do not understand that, I am sure they can go back to their own countries 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Why does the government continue to treat the electorate like they're all backwards thinking knuckel dragging yokels?

I think a large part of the electorate are straight wowserish people who probably avoid alcohol anyway. I much prefer the wild west feel of the likes of Cambodia to Thailand now. I once lived in Thailand 7 years and loved the country, but now many aspects of it are as unappealing to me as my native country Australia. Other aspects, like the Thai prison system, are as unenlightened and inhumane as ever. Perhaps if I was a foreigner who had married into Thai society and was bringing up kids there, I might feel more comfortable with Thailand's growing conservatism. Each to their own, but it's not a country in which I feel comfortable anymore.

I own a bar and will be closing all day Saturday, then opening at 6pm Sunday. All of the Farang bar owners in my Soi will comply. I cannot say the same for some of the Thai owned bars that brazenly flouted the closure laws during the Covid measures, and got tipped off whenever the police were out doing checks. 

Oh please! The same old whine every time there’s an election or a public/religious holiday! You live in Thailand. You should know by now that this happens. Go buy your booze beforehand, like the Thais do, and shut up about it already! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I have to admit that the law is way outdated, heaven forbid bars being open to Farang only & must

refuse Thais who may want a drink.

The annoying thing about this is the "big bars" some have Thai police ownership or shareholding 

go ahead & open & slip the local constabulory an envelope which makes them blind for the day.

Next, are Bangkok bars allowed to open ? they should be able to as no elections involved in the Central area at least or have the "anti alcohol lobby" pressured the police to make it an unwarranted country ban?

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Come on folks. Common sense and Thailand have never gone together and probably never will.

It being announced in advance just means everyone will buy what they need the day before, so the stupid "ban" won't actually have any meaningful impact at all.

This is absolutely true. I have been guilty of such a thing myself and seen loads of Thai people with trolleys full of cases of beer the moment a ban is announced

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

"...has anyone here actually heard of a foreigner being prosecuted for drinking during elections?"

Obviously not, as there is not, and never has been, any ban on drinking during elections.

Correct! No problem for Drinkers only for certain-day Buyers!

18 minutes ago, barney42bb said:

Foreigners... Leave if you don't approve.

It ain't your country.

You're a tolerated guest at best.

Why do you want to live in a country where you imply that you are barely tolerated?

37 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

About time Foreigners residing here got a life and stop bloody whining and bloody GROW UP. Sorry but it has been the same for the last 17 years to my knowledge, just drink at home, those that do not understand that, I am sure they can go back to their own countries 

Tried that but then there are no pretty ladies asking if they can also have a drink......gets boring.

7 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

In my last stock check I counted: 5 litres whiskey, 6 Litres vodka, 3 litres gin, 3 litres rum, 1 litre malibu, 2 bottles baileys and 16 bottles of wine.

What ban are we talking about exactly? ????

I'll be coming round to your house when Liverpool win the Champions League,????

7 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

In my last stock check I counted: 5 litres whiskey, 6 Litres vodka, 3 litres gin, 3 litres rum, 1 litre malibu, 2 bottles baileys and 16 bottles of wine.

What ban are we talking about exactly? ????

Have an auction......

I participated in a sports tourney.....After 3 days we came in 5th in the nation.....Not sure how because we drank like cowboys getting to the big city - which we kind of were.......

I'd bought a big jug bottle of Bacardi + something for the gal that was with me.....

After 3 days playing tournament ball in the sun & drinking/partying we were a hurtin' bunch.....

Woke up on the 4th day =

DRY - ELECTION DAY.....

The team was one giant sorry assed hung over gang.....

I still had most of the Bacardi jug left & guys were knocking on the door begging/offering $$$ for it...

Everybody was in a sorry state....I was the only one with anything left over.....

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

You think this about dieing whilst voting ?

I thought it was an attempt to ensure (hopefully)  people are voting with a clear head.

In the words of Joseph Stalin "Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything", which begs the question: what difference does a clear head make?  

These are the same foreigners who don't have the discipline to put on a mask in the middle of a pandemic, lecturing the most successful country on the planet that they are too respectful of rules.  Stupid. I'm from America and to criticize Thailand on the subject of how they handle the most dangerous drug available in their society (alcohol) would be the height of hypocrisy, and is probably for 90% of my fellow ne'er do wells on this forum.  ????  

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1