Foreigners online slam "ridiculous" booze ban - no drinking from 6pm Saturday to 6pm Sunday

webfact

16 minutes ago, moe666 said:

This conversation has become so boring over the years. No beer, no beer wawawawa singing the blues. It has been this way for 20 odd years I have been living here and coming and going, it is called plan ahead drink at home.

but my freedumbs .... my freedumbs.

9 minutes ago, Barry343 said:

So your an alcoholic and proud of it I suppose.

Why does someone having some stock make them an alcoholic????

He may a more likeable person than someone who accuses people of being an alcoholic and thus often has lots friends over.

My stock is down at the moment, but usually I have a full wine fridge (about 20-30 bottles) a few different Gin’s in the freezer, 4 or 5 different whisky’s in the cabinet (ranging from Jamesons, through to Glenfiddich 18yr, a Balvenie or two, and more often than not one or two different types of Glenlivet).

In fact when I go round to friends houses they also have a reasonable stock of drinks to enjoy.

Having a stock does not make someone an alcoholic. However, accusing someone of being an alcoholic for having a stock makes the accuser a terrible bore !!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a340bangla1 said:

I don't get all this excitement. As long as I have been here (a long time) and as long as I can remember (not so long time) booze was not allowed to be sold on the night before and on election day. So what ? Plan ahead stock up dand drink at home ....

As long as I can recall the ones being elected have been pretty terrible. Perhaps its time to let the electors get completely ratted in the hope that they might actually vote for some good people. Trying to keep them sober hasn't worked out well ...

• Haha 1

Whow some people are really getting worked up about not getting a drink in a bar

Restaurant ect

If foreigners can't do without a drink buy some  in the day before

What about Buddha days are they complaining about those days as well 

They should respect the laws in Thailand if they are staying or holidaying here 

End of 

12 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You're right this is totally ridiculous! 

It's ridiculous that alcoholics can't give up drinking for 24 hours.

Sad.  Weak. ????

Nonsensical post. 

People are unhappy that they cannot have a drink in a bar or restaurant as is their normal practice. 

The alcoholics are amongst those who sit and drink at home. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You're right this is totally ridiculous! 

It's ridiculous that alcoholics can't give up drinking for 24 hours.

Sad.  Weak. ????

Nonsensical post. 

People are unhappy that they cannot have a drink in a bar or restaurant as is their normal practice. 

The alcoholics are amongst those who sit and drink at home. 

I got confused - at first sight I read "No thinking...", but then I realised that I am in a country where that has been implemented on a 24/7 base anyway since the early beginnings of good ol' Siam...

Given that, locals won't give it much thought on where to place the X anyway - with or without booze ????

Many countries do this for elections. If you get fair warning it shouldn't be a problem.

It is the other  "out of the blue" no booze edicts that are annoying, and some of the enforced none religious ones that have no good reason that really annoying.

Also the stupid Booze shopping hours every day that had been forgotten until Thaksin reintroduced them.

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Come on folks. Common sense and Thailand have never gone together and probably never will.

It being announced in advance just means everyone will buy what they need the day before, so the stupid "ban" won't actually have any meaningful impact at all.

Common sense and alcohol often don't go together either

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Come on folks. Common sense and Thailand have never gone together and probably never will.

It being announced in advance just means everyone will buy what they need the day before, so the stupid "ban" won't actually have any meaningful impact at all.

I know we use to have these sort of alcohol free days when I was young during voting (Canada). 

If you cannot make it through a single day without going out to a bar at night to drink, and you cannot plan ahead to stock up your fridge at home... then you really should be institutionalized ... because you are either a raging alcoholic or too stupid to plan ahead.... or both...

I don't subscribe to the idea that Foreigners should be exempted...  it is what it is... if people don't like it - go somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:
Foreigners living in Thailand have been taking to social media to slam this weekend's alcohol ban due to local elections.

The sale and distribution of alcohol and even parties with alcohol are banned from 6pm Saturday to 6 pm Sunday for the Provincial Administration Organisation elections. 

Foreigners, of course, have no right to vote. 

May I suggest, we as foreigners have a vote on this?