These Are The Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

ChipButty

Mick Taylor is a guitarist who is best known for his time in the Rolling Stones from 1969 until 1974 and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers in 1967 through 1969. Taylor appeared in some of the Stone’s most classic albums, including Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St.

Mick-Taylor-20201118155023-20201118155023.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, vogie said:

One of the most underated guitarists of his era, I remember when he died most people just thought of him as another "pretty boy", he was doing session work well before he became famous.

And he was a Beach Boy for a short time.

• Like 2

Sadly, not a mention of Brian Robson Rankin....the guitarist with possibly the most unique, recogniseable guitar sound, who influenced more English guitarists in the 60s than anyone else. Designed a series of superb guitars named after him. And who, in the words of Geoff Emerick, produced the best vocal tracks ever recorded at Abbey Road in the early 70s. 

• Like 2

I looked at some the posts , and it seems like the "greatest guitarists" are for the most part European or American , is it because Europeans and Americans are better guitarists than other people or are these the greatest guitarists we know of that play the music we like?

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I looked at some the posts , and it seems like the "greatest guitarists" are for the most mart European or American , is it because Europeans are better guitarists than other people or are these the greatest guitarists we know of that play the music we like?

Whatever you like 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Al little Joe Satriani goes along way

Joe Satriani - Nineteen Eighty (Official Video) - YouTube

Joe Satriani is a guitarist, composer, songwriter, and guitar teacher. In his early career, he was a guitar instructor to many students who would go on to become quite well known themselves. These include Steve Vai, Larry LaLone, Kirk Hammett, Kevin Cadogan, and Alex Skolnick. He has played with Mick Jagger and Deep Purple.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Whatever you like 

That has a large part to play with it, but "like" is subjective, and proficiency is objective. and there IMO objective ways to measure "greatness" in a particular endeavour.

Arguably the Greatest guitar player Jimi Hendrix, He said 

"When asked in an interview what he thought about being the best guitarist in the world, Hendrix said, “You think I’m the best in the world because you haven’t heard the Greek guy.” When asked who the Greek guy was, Hendrix replied, “Manolis Hiotis. When you listen to him playing, then you will know who the best is.“ "  Yet most of us have never heard of Manolis Hiotis , or of all the other Hiotises (is that the plural of Hiotis  LOL? 

http://preparedguitar.blogspot.com/2014/05/manolis-hiotis.html

I Love all of the ones mentioned in this thread, they are all great, and I grew up with them, found memories of my youth . Mark Knopfler is my guitar hero,  but as I get older I scrounge the internet and YouTube  for new music, and there is a whole world out there making music, and a lot of it is pretty good. 

listen to the opening of this Greek song. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, LeungKen said:

Surely Andres Segovia has to be one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

He brought the guitar to the concert stage, and inspired countless men and women to delvelop skills and paly music from the baroque to modern

Thankfully I have had the pleasure of seeing and hearing many classical greats perform

Karen Schaupp

Gareth Koch

Julian Bream

John Williams

Slava and Lenard Gregorian

to name a few

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1