Big jump in Covid-19 cases in Samut Sakhon, but situation 'not worrisome'

rooster59

It's still not scary, yet.    But it's time to take extra-precautions, regardless of if farang next to you isn't wearing a mask.

vaccine is coming...............................play it very safe the next few months, then party for the next 20-years.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, barney42bb said:

At last getting found out....

No Nation has been squeaky clean on this.

Even New Zealand with it's tiny population, with a long land mass has copped it.

Be Interesting to know what the catalyst was to expose the truth.

Maybe threats and coercion to The Media and masses....

Or The Thai Propaganda machine not a patch on the "Goebbels" Model.

Who got "found out"? It's highly likely migrants have been crossing the border continuously since the start of the pandemic. It was only a matter of time, since Myanmar got heavily hit from Bangladesh, that the virus was introduced back to Thailand. There was no 'coverup'. If there was a coverup, we would not even be hearing about the intitial infection of the seafood vendor, or the other 500+ cases now. 

Having said that, the government should have been actively testing migrants, given the current situation in Myanmar. 

Edited by DavisH

5 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Not worrisome 12 hours ago. But now....548 cases...probably will rise.  Get ready for another period of lockdowns.

Yes beat me to it was going to post the same . lets see how many in the 24 hrs.  scary news . 

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

You mean the working migrants that do not have to undergo 14 days of prison luxury hotel quarantine I presume and are not cash cows.

To be fair, I wouldn't trade places with their situation just for a quarantine exemption. Some things in life truly are deserving of gratitude. Just sayin'.... ????

2 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

The virus is caused by unclean farangs who have slipped into the country from Burma and Laos. Find them quickly.

And of course don't worry about the ''clean'' Thais employing illegal laborers 

they are sooo busy to count their money, they don't have the time to check if the

workers are here legaly and with the right visa

And of course the ''authorities'' supposed to be in charge of the controls are too busy on their phone instead of  controling an area where everybody seem to know than thousands of illegal migrants are at work

Guys, it's the greed wich is actualy killing our world, the endless greed everywhere...

Sad, very sad

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Having said that, the government should have been actively testing migrants, given the current situation in Myanmar. 

The problem is most of these migrants are illegals, then impossible to test.

The solution should be to heavily fine the employers and make too risky and costly to

employ illegals migrants, but where there is a lot of money there is only some form of lenience

and a possibilitiy of some ''arrangments'' with the laws, particularly in Thailand

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why has Anutin not been fired yet? He is so incompetent, has no experience in the field of health and just cannot help but put his foot in his mouth, nearly every time he opens it. He is the polar opposite of diplomatic. Not to mention being a racist. 

You are confusing being "diplomatic" with "being politically correct", and even being "racist". There are certain things that such a high official shouldn't say, and that includes those Tweets which you're referring to. 

But nevertheless, they were a truth as a temple! If you don't believe me go yourself to Central Plaza in Rama 9. Count how many Asians with their mask on the chin vs how many Westerners. 

Furthermore a Minister of Health doesn't necessarily need to have any experience in medicine, after all his work as a minister is to coordinate and make a huge team of experts from different backgrounds work together as efficient as possible all across the country. The Minister of Health of a country is not any sort of "Dr.House" who can cure any disease with some "magical thinking".

PS: This coming from a westerner, so I can't be labeled as racist

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I can't feel any sympathy for illegals that bring Covid into Thailand. A 35 year old man hung himself not 1 kilometre up the road from my house last night in the horse stable he looked after.

What can be worse than wanting to finish your life like that.

I'm the opposite I guess. I have a lot of sympathy for the people who are scrambling to make a living and supporting their families back home. Not so much for a young man with a job who ends his life. But then, I don't know his situation.

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I certainly hope that they do in fact have things under control, though I do find it worrying, even if they tell me I don't need to be. I recall how screwed up things were when there were cases all over the place and hope we can avoid that nastiness again.

We have been very fortunate thus far.

Dirty locals 

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It is estimated that there are around 4,000 people living around the market, most of whom are foreign labourers, while around 10 per cent of residents are Thai nationals,” said Anutin.

nice  of them to slip that in, but lest we forget who leaves their porous  borders  open

12 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And will they provide the same amount of stuff every Day for the next 2weeks in order that ALL estimated residents are tested fully, and correctly.

2,500 of anything is not enough for One population test, as 4,000 people are estimated to live in he vicinity of this Wet Market, which means not all are going to be tested even once.

These Wet Markets seem to be a real hotbed of Infections ( Re-  Wuhan )

Its  not the numbers that count  its  the donor

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“The situation in the province is not yet worrisome, but people should wear face masks, wash their hands regularly and avoid going to crowded areas.

Not worrisome my backside, as for "avoid going to busy places" does that mean the markets are closed?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why has Anutin not been fired yet? He is so incompetent, has no experience in the field of health and just cannot help but put his foot in his mouth, nearly every time he opens it. He is the polar opposite of diplomatic. Not to mention being a racist. 

The Health Minister in Austria is a teacher by trade.. he was characterized as being "overwhelmed by himself and the situation". Seems like Thailand is not alone here

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Big jump in Covid-19 cases in Samut Sakhon, but situation 'not worrisome'

By THE NATION

800_3dac77b53463632.jpg

More than 2,000 people in Samut Sakhon province who might have been at risk of infection have been tested for Covid-19 and so far 13 people have been found positive, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul said on Friday evening.

The minister visited a prawn market in Samut Sakhon’s Mahachai subdistrict to follow up on investigations after a 67-year-old woman, who ran a seafood shop in the market, tested positive for Covid-19 on December 18 after showing symptoms on December 13.

“The Disease Control Department has tested most of the people who work in the market,” Anutin said.

“The department will continue testing more people to determine the scope of the virus spreading.”

Anutin added that His Majesty the King has granted three biosafety vehicles to test local residents around the market, while the ministry has provided 2,500 viral transport medium tubes, 2,500 nasopharyngeal swabs, Rapid Ab test kits, 100 personal protective equipment suits, 200 waterproof gowns, 500 surgical masks, 100 face shields as well as other equipment to officers carrying out the testing.

“It is estimated that there are around 4,000 people living around the market, most of whom are foreign labourers, while around 10 per cent of residents are Thai nationals,” said Anutin.

“The situation in the province is not yet worrisome, but people should wear face masks, wash their hands regularly and avoid going to crowded areas. If you reside near the market or are concerned, you can receive free testing at the mobile testing units.

“None of the patients who tested positive have shown serious symptoms and they are now being treated at Samut Sakhon and Krathum Baen hospitals in separated negative pressure rooms,” added Anutin.

“People can safely travel to Samut Sakhon or pass through it to other provinces.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399857

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-19

13 cases? My wife just got an email from her contact in the BKK office of her company (large multi-national based in the USA) that there are 500 positive cases in the province.

Maybe thais know something the media doesn't mention