Thailand reports biggest coronavirus surge, over 500 cases - Samut Sakhon placed in to lockdown

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, pegman said:

This situation is in greater Bangkok. Have you ever been on the MRT during rush times? This could easily get out of control quickly. 

If it does, we will have huge problems, and a lockdown would be the least concern.

I saw the numbers from Germany that frightened me.

Two hundred fifty thousand new infections from Friday to Saturday with over 500 deaths is so scary after such a long time dealing with it. 

Similar or even higher numbers could quickly happen here. 

Most people here only wear masks when they have to. But when they go out, they act like nothing is wrong.

Also, at my school, people are all pretty much relaxed, and I hope that we will not have such extreme numbers of virus infections.

If Thailand gets hit with a mutation of it, it would be terrible.

Even when the whole world might think that Thailand is an excellent example, it would be different if the numbers skyrocket. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Bring out the dead....
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

If Thailand gets hit with a mutation of it, it would be terrible.

And it will. The virus has mutated many times already - according to the experts, that's what virus's do to stay alive. No matter which variant(s) of the virus is in Thailand already, there will be further mutations.  The question is, what will the effect of those mutations be - increased transmission, more severe illness or the dreaded vaccine resistance?

At the moment the experts are saying that the new strain of the virus found in the UK and Europe should still respond well to the current vaccines.  All the world needs is for Covid to become like the flu - which has several vaccines and we really do have a problem.  Imagine it, first you have to be tested and isolated whilst the correct strain is discovered. Then you have to wait through the normal vaccine process - nightmare scenario.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

And it will. The virus has mutated many times already - according to the experts, that's what virus's do to stay alive. No matter which variant(s) of the virus is in Thailand already, there will be further mutations.  The question is, what will the effect of those mutations be - increased transmission, more severe illness or the dreaded vaccine resistance?

At the moment the experts are saying that the new strain of the virus found in the UK and Europe should still respond well to the current vaccines.  All the world needs is for Covid to become like the flu - which has several vaccines and we really do have a problem.  Imagine it, first you have to be tested and isolated whilst the correct strain is discovered. Then you have to wait through the normal vaccine process - nightmare scenario.

IMO, Thailand was only lucky and perhaps the climate helped. Now with new mutations and colder weather.

I hope not that Thailand has similar numbers like some European countries currently have.

Anyway, you never hear the real number, it would be a loss of face in their eyes to tell the truth. 

That could bite some of them right in their ars_s. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Thailand is an excellent example, 

excellent example of how to keep the numbers low.

1. Keep testing price high.

2. Stigmatize covid so people wont come forward for testing.

3. Spread the news that covid treatment is expensive. 

Eventually people wont turn up, and you country's number will be low. You can open your country to tourism whenever you want.

IF there is an outbreak , blame it on the foreigner. In recent samut sakhon outbreak , the burmese are being blamed. 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Not to mention door handles, stair handrails, tin cans, etc, in shops. Any hard surface can have the virus, and the virus can live on those surfaces for up to 72 hours.

Yes, research has shown that elements of the virus can survive on surfaces for varying periods of time, depending on various conditions like the type of surface / environment, etc.

However, the latest I've read from the various health authorities suggests that it's much less clear to what extent surface exposure can actually cause a person touching the surface to be infected. The best advice seems to be possible, but not yet shown as any kind of significant source of the virus spreading.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

IMO, Thailand was only lucky and perhaps the climate helped. Now with new mutations and colder weather.

I hope not that Thailand has similar numbers like some European countries currently have.

Anyway, you never hear the real number, it would be a loss of face in their eyes to tell the truth. 

That could bite some of them right in their ars_s. 

Thailand was the first country to receive infections outside of China. More than just luck was involved Perhaps you forgot the country-wide lockdown, curfew, alcohol ban and many businesses and government shut down for 6 weeks or so. Plus 1M+ health volunteers doing contact tracing.

I don't see the current spread as spiraling put of control Thais are very scared of getting infected. I would expect mask wearing to now become more common in public. Even my school is shut until 4th Jan and we are on the outskirts of BKK.

But the government should have seen this coming and the immigration department should take responsibility for this mess. Half of the 400K Myanmar migrants in Samut Sakron are illegal entrants. This was bound the have occurred eventually, given the number of cases in Myanmar now. 

8 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Eventually people wont turn up, and you country's number will be low. You can open your country to tourism whenever you want.

IF there is an outbreak , blame it on the foreigner. In recent samut sakhon outbreak , the burmese are being blamed. 

Deaths are hard to hide though. Unless one believes outrageous conspiracy theories of a huge government coverup. My wife works in the health industry. I just see no evidence of that. 

• Like 1

Latest news is saying 689 cases detected, and signs of infections growing further afield with vendors buying from the market and selling in other areas.

I wonder how the migrant workers contracted the virus, since borders have been closed for months and anyone coming in have to go to quarantine?

Maybe a few have sneaked across the border and entered illegally, but then Thais should not be employing illegals as their documents would be in-correct.

Or worse, they're allowed to enter legally but fast tracked straight to the "work-houses" thus bypassing quarantine...

Both scenarios are against the emergency decree and they now reap what they sowed.

Profit, greed & corruption will always come back to bite your rear!

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Deaths are hard to hide though. Unless one believes outrageous conspiracy theories of a huge government coverup. My wife works in the health industry. I just see no evidence of that. 

there is like 1 percent or so death rate in poor and unhygeinic countries. Seeing how thais live, share food from same plate. taste food before serving it to others. etc etc.. I can say they live in unhygeinic conditions. That somehow increases immunity to diseases. 

https://weather.com/en-IN/india/coronavirus/news/2020-10-27-evidence-lower-covid19-death-countries-poor-hygiene-water-quality

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The new strain is only more infectious - it is also not limited to the UK. There is no evidence that anyone with the new strain remains infectious any longer than others. Given that people coming from the UK are subject to quarantine just as everyone else is - what is the justification for your statement, other than trolling?

Imported cases are also increasing, as world numbers are increasing. The Thai government may well curb foreigners enterign Thailnd through formal ports, as they also require a hospital bed if found infected. That will depend on how well they deal with this current local outbreak. 

I just got mail from my senior research scientist son who works in big pharma (J&J). Where he lives, in PA, the state mortality rate in senior care is 1 in 5. You read that right: 20% of seniors in nursing homes. No place wants to see that happen. Thailand loves its elders.

Thought to share son's info here:

"The extrapolation of any test results to the broader population (as you did with the 43%) simply cannot be done due to the inherent bias in the testing population not reflecting the general population.  [Testing] only reflects a snapshot for the preceding few days of each patient, so it doesn't have much bearing.  There are some mathematical modelers that have tried to extrapolate daily case counts and death rates to derive an estimate of true population prevalence over time.  The over time part is key -- 43% positive rate sounds very high, but this is likely a cumulative count, and they will only be infected for a 2 week period.  If you really wanted to get the most accurate idea of the community spread where you are, you would need to look for models that report an Rt  [effective reproductive number--average number of people infected] value estimate (below one & the virus is dying out, above 1 and it is growing exponentially just a question of rate)."

Both somehow reassuring and <deleted> scary at the same time, eh!

Edited by unblocktheplanet
clarification

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Thailand was the first country to receive infections outside of China. More than just luck was involved Perhaps you forgot the country-wide lockdown, curfew, alcohol ban and many businesses and government shut down for 6 weeks or so. Plus 1M+ health volunteers doing contact tracing.

I basically agree with you on that but it's hard to compare things as they are now with things as they were back then. Certainly there were a lot of people coming from China around CNY, but although the outbreak was under way in Wuhan at that time, the numbers there were relatively low compared to what has been since. Also, Wuhan is a tiny part of a huge country and there was very very little covid in the rest of China. You'd need more stats to work it out exactly, but the working assumption has to be that there's a lot more covid in Thailand right now than there was then.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I don't see the current spread as spiraling put of control Thais are very scared of getting infected. I would expect mask wearing to now become more common in public. Even my school is shut until 4th Jan and we are on the outskirts of BKK.

I think we're well past the point where the restrictions they put in place last time round were effective, so while I haven't given up hope, I'm not confident they will be effective this time. I guess we'll find out over the next month or so.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:20 PM, lovethai123 said:

Amazing that nobody blames China for it.

Didn't it start in Wuhan, or was that a bad dream?

On 12/20/2020 at 4:24 AM, internationalism said:

actually, high humidity and high temperature lowers wirus load in an environment.

That's why viruses, like flu, thrive in winter, when cold and low humidity.

That's why out brake happened in wuham in january. That's why it came to south america in June (their winter time). And that's why the second wave in europe, the usa and thailand is happening now.

Air conditioning might be spreading covid, same as it's known for spreading other viruses and bacteria. At present they should be cleaned, even daily - or the best is not using them at all.

This reseach is for SARS several years ago

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22312351/

I always checked the aircon where possible when booking into a hotel. Some were perfectly clean others filthy.

On 12/20/2020 at 5:54 AM, AmySeeker said:

Oh dear ... sure do hope the track and trace system works.

At least it looks like quick action is being taken. 

In the UK our mega expensive multiple billion pound track and trace system is nothing more than a call centre with a polite call to people to stay at home. They barely do any hardcore tracking other than what the infected person has told them. Then the stay at home order is barely enforced and often ignored. 

I think Thai people may well be more responsible though. 

Different to Australia where it is "spot on"

Just now, Huckenfell said:

Different to Australia where it is "spot on"

Australia is relatively covid free i hear.

UK meanwhile has a deadly new strain, over 30,000 infections daily and it's rising, and a horrendous situation

Strangely and what has never made any sense is our borders are still open !

31 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Amazing that nobody blames China for it.

Didn't it start in Wuhan, or was that a bad dream?

i blame china for hiding it. 

look at what Uk did, they found some new mutation(70% faster). they told it in public. that is how it should be.  there is no shame in accepting the truth. Uk told  public . that is what it shud be., if china told it to public in start and stopped flights, we wudnt be here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

Australia is relatively covid free i hear.

UK meanwhile has a deadly new strain, over 30,000 infections daily and it's rising, and a horrendous situation

Strangely and what has never made any sense is our borders are still open !

good job kangaroos and kiwis ????????????????

Ofcourse as usual for everythng bad happens in Thailand just blame it to the foreigners. Anyway the way i see it the stage is preparing for mass Vaccination in next few months , in Europe they are already saying the big spooky third wave is on the horizon while they ordered massive amounts of vaccines just days before this news emerged, just use common sense, its not a secret that while most companies will probably go bankrupt in next year, Pharmacy industry will make 50 billion dollars of profit (just in USA) if you know how to connect dots you dont have to be Einstein to see clear picture.

Edited by NB1986
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

i blame china for hiding it. 

look at what Uk did, they found some new mutation(70% faster). they told it in public. that is how it should be.  there is no shame in accepting the truth. Uk told  public . that is what it shud be., if china told it to public in start and stopped flights, we wudnt be here.

Thank you.....absolutely correct. 

If we ever get out of this horrible situation, 'that country' needs to be held accountable for crimes against humanity. And made to pay in any terms the world decides. Period. 

34 minutes ago, Suua said:

Thank you.....absolutely correct. 

If we ever get out of this horrible situation, 'that country' needs to be held accountable for crimes against humanity. And made to pay in any terms the world decides. Period. 

never gonna happen. the economies are interlinked. west needs china as much china needs the west. 

china has many western politicians in its pocket. 

Edited by lovethai123

4 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

never gonna happen. the economies are interlinked. west needs china as much china needs the west. 

china has many western politicians in its pocket. 

Thank goodness there are people with more vision than you......the world would make no progress in your restricted vision