UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

No it wasn't, it was about this statement posted by 7by7.

"Blackford's talking about this trade agreement."

Now just answer the question - in case you have conveniently forgotten.

"Tell us when do you think Scotland's trading relationship with the EU changed?"

As stated Because my post which you quoted was about membership not current trading relationship

As for anything posted by 7by7 you will need to ask 7by7

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

No UK membership of the EU was terminated   at 11 p.m. GMT on 31 January 2020

What is the Brexit transition period?

The Brexit transition is the period agreed in the UK–EU Withdrawal Agreement in which the UK is no longer a member of the EU but remains a member of the single market and customs union. During that time, it will continue to be subject to EU rules. The transition period started immediately after the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020.

The EU said it will not negotiate details of new arrangements with the UK until it ceased to be an EU member. The transition period is designed to provide time for that new relationship to be agreed while ensuring that business will only need to adapt to non-EU rules once the future deal is agreed.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/brexit-transition-period

If you wish to prove me wrong, and from your first word it seems that you do, expanding upon and confirming what I posted is not the way to go about it!

In an attempt to enlighten you further, I refer you to my use of the word 'effectively' in my post.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If you wish to prove me wrong, and from your first word it seems that you do, expanding upon and confirming what I posted is not the way to go about it!

In an attempt to enlighten you further, I refer you to my use of the word 'effectively' in my post.

Suggest you read the quote from the guardian again

“This is a very bad deal for Scotland, which will terminate our membership of the EU, rip us out of the world’s largest single market and customs union, end our freedom of movement rights, 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/27/snp-confirms-vote-against-extreme-tory-brexit-deal

No UK membership of the EU was terminated   at 11 p.m. GMT on 31 January 2020

I have no interest in your opinion thanks but my post was about what Ian Blackford stated and he stated "This is a very bad deal for Scotland, which will terminate our membership of the EU" which clearly is incorrect as UK membership of the EU was terminated   at 11 p.m. GMT on 31 January 2020

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Well the alternative to this deal is No Deal, so Blackford is voting for No Deal after all.

I doubt it; I expect that he, like others opposed to this deal, want an extension so a better deal can be negotiated.

However, despite rumblings from the Tory ERG (Don't celebrate yet! Anti-EU Spartans at the ERG are STILL deciding whether or not to back Boris's deal) as Labour are likely to vote for this deal as the best of a bad lot, it'll probably pass even if the ERG, Lib Dems, SNP, DUP etc. do vote against.

But with the Labour rebels over fishing ("Up to 20 Labour MPs are on track to leave Sir Keir Starmer red-faced as they vow to defy his call to vote for the EU trade deal in his biggest Brexit showdown since becoming the party's leader." [Source]) nothing is certain.

Of course, if Parliament does reject this deal and send Boris back to the EU to beg for an extension and reopening of negotiations, there is no guarantee that they wont simply refuse and say that it's this deal or no deal.

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The only way you moaners will be happy is if we use article 49 to rejoin. Which I suspect is where your screen name came from.

A quick look at my avatar and my joining date will prove your suspicions unfounded.

If that's not enough:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

As stated Because my post which you quoted was about membership not current trading relationship

As for anything posted by 7by7 you will need to ask 7by7

Your post in question was a direct response to mine.

I have dealt with it here: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I doubt it; I expect that he, like others opposed to this deal, want an extension so a better deal can be negotiated.

However, despite rumblings from the Tory ERG (Don't celebrate yet! Anti-EU Spartans at the ERG are STILL deciding whether or not to back Boris's deal) as Labour are likely to vote for this deal as the best of a bad lot, it'll probably pass even if the ERG, Lib Dems, SNP, DUP etc. do vote against.

But with the Labour rebels over fishing ("Up to 20 Labour MPs are on track to leave Sir Keir Starmer red-faced as they vow to defy his call to vote for the EU trade deal in his biggest Brexit showdown since becoming the party's leader." [Source]) nothing is certain.

Of course, if Parliament does reject this deal and send Boris back to the EU to beg for an extension and reopening of negotiations, there is no guarantee that they wont simply refuse and say that it's this deal or no deal.

by the way, I'm not even sure that a (very unlikely) "no" vote in the British parliament would block the deal?

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

A quick look at my avatar and my joining date will prove your suspicions unfounded.

If that's not enough:

ahaha Hawkwind, as far as progressive rock and british bands I preferred Marillion ???? 

• Like 1

So all 27 EU countries passed the deal unanimously, even France seemed happy with the outcome.  I am reserving judgement until we get the proper details rather than the government spin.  Then I can decide if it is better to bring back my business base to the UK or keep it in mainland Europe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

<snip>

I am not making any attempt to prove you wrong

Yet you still continue to try!

As for the rest; I have no desire to repeat myself, so in true Parliamentary fashion; I refer you to the answer I gave previously.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

So all 27 EU countries passed the deal unanimously, even France seemed happy with the outcome.  I am reserving judgement until we get the proper details rather than the government spin.  

yep

image.thumb.png.0cf7e4d818eb58e4397b1cc9a8666af0.png

and French fishermen seem relieved (fr)

https://www.lemonde.fr/international/article/2020/12/28/brexit-le-soulagement-des-pecheurs-francais_6064627_3210.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Yet you still continue to try!

As for the rest; I have no desire to repeat myself, so in true Parliamentary fashion; I refer you to the answer I gave previously.

As stated

What is the Brexit transition period?

The Brexit transition is the period agreed in the UK–EU Withdrawal Agreement in which the UK is no longer a member of the EU but remains a member of the single market and customs union. During that time, it will continue to be subject to EU rules. The transition period started immediately after the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020.

The EU said it will not negotiate details of new arrangements with the UK until it ceased to be an EU member. The transition period is designed to provide time for that new relationship to be agreed while ensuring that business will only need to adapt to non-EU rules once the future deal is agreed.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/brexit-transition-period

from the EU point of view the UK ceased to be an EU member 31 January 2020., The UK Goverment stated that the UK ceased to be a member of the EU 31 January 2020

So anyone that thinks the Uk is still a member of the EU is living in cloud cuckoo land

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

It would seem that the EU held their ground on most points but as I said I reserve judgement until we get the facts.  Gove warned today that there would be disruption and that "some" smaller businesses are not yet prepared for the changes.

• Like 2