No truth to reports Thailand is about to ban alcohol sales

rooster59

15 minutes ago, Mike k said:

Maybe they should ban the sell of alcohol it would cut down on the drunk drivers over new years 

Another cause that is used to attack drinkers. The drink driving lobby . They introduced the drink drive laws in the UK years ago. It has been a disaster.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

This discussion was done to the death back in April.

There are plenty of us who like a drink and can handle it.

There are plenty who can't handle it and get violent or drive.

There are religious and do-gooder groups who tar everyone with the same brush.

Most on here who drink are safe enough in a bar and a taxi or at home.

It'd be amazing if we could get into the (small) minds of all those Somchais and their egos, wouldn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Yes, because everyone knows having a couple of beers spreads the virus like wild fire. Do these 'officials' realise how stupid they sound ?

No but if you have  lots of drunk young men over New Year they might  not stay where they should - just look at what is happening in the UK. 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local Makro doesn't sell alcohol at all, as it's about 250 metres from a university. The 7-11 directly opposite the university sells, though ????

It will depend if the uni was there first or the 7/11...in a bar opposite a school near me they are allowed to serve beer as the school opened after the bar was established.

2 hours ago, lavender19 said:

Went to Makro last week with wife to stock up her restaurant for Xmas. Alcohol sales to license holder had just got back to normal. Which means she can buy 10 liters anytime. Got to the booze aisle. Blocked by blue plastic pipe again. Went to see manager. Can we buy. Yes no problem. Back to booze aisle. Assistant told us too go away? 

Back to manager who then came with us. Gave the assistant a bollocking told her to read notice. Only 5 people at one time. So then went to meat department where there  were about 20 people pushing and shoving trying to get their goods wieghed.

Only 5 people in a 100 meter aisle to buy the dreaded alcohol but 20 all crammed together buying meat. That's okay. Talk about braindead

What's your beef?????

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

as people cannot be trusted to look out for others while under the influence so they should shut it down till cases are stabilized. Keeping bars open in other countries during this pandemic was a deadly mistake that could of been avoided if it wasn't for the rampant addiction rates..

Complete and utter rubbish! Data from a pedantic European country (Switzerland) confirms that 1% of those infected got it at bars/clubs and 2.8% got it at restaurants. But (what a big surprise, possibly to you?) 29.6% got it through family members. So, let's all stay at home and stay safe, NOT!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Currently bars, pubs and restaurants are allowed to sell alcohol as normal, as are supermarkets and convenience stores.

It's not the sale of alcohol in Thailand that's the problem, in my opinion the problem is 1 bottle, 1 glass and 6 or 8 imbibers e.g. all using 1 glass in turn for their shots be it beer or whisky or rotgut. Give out free glasses with each purchase and part of the transmission problem disappears.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, government officials have said there is no truth to reports of an impending ban on the sale of alcoholic beverages

There will be no ban, but he instead the sale being allowed from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm as it is now, the sale of alcohol will be limited to between the hours of 1:00 am to 1:30 am provided you can produce a police report on the medicinal need for the alcohol. Any other thoughts on the subject out there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Whenever government officials deny or refute something so explicitly, you can be almost 98.7934% sure that it's actually going to happen.

On a positive note, there still is a slim chance (1.2066%) that they actually told the truth.

Cynical? Maybe just a little? 1.2066%?     :wai:

4 hours ago, farangroby said:

What would be the connection between alcohol and covid?

I ask for a friend

Well tell your friend it is because Thais get into little groups and share 1 glass in turns. they don't buy 6 bottles of beer for one each, they buy 1 share it out, then buy a 2nd, and a 3rd, etc., and still only 1 glass.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, siamsev said:
5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local Makro doesn't sell alcohol at all, as it's about 250 metres from a university. The 7-11 directly opposite the university sells, though ????

It will depend if the uni was there first or the 7/11...in a bar opposite a school near me they are allowed to serve beer as the school opened after the bar was established.

That's interesting. thanks.

3 hours ago, Nout said:

Another cause that is used to attack drinkers. The drink driving lobby . They introduced the drink drive laws in the UK years ago. It has been a disaster.

I drink some and don't have a problem with people that do drink I do have a problem with intoxicated drivers that wind up hurting innocent people