Thai police to reduce number of alcohol breath tests over New Year

rooster59

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What about other sobriety tests, walking  toe to heel in a straight line,

follow the officers finger,must be more, doing less breathalyzer tests

is not a good idea...drunks must be kept off the roads,it's bad enough

when drivers are sober.

regards worgeordie

Firstly I must say that I don't drink and drive, if I drink the Mrs always drives, she's happy with a small glass of wine, but it would be impossible for me to pass the sobriety test I have highlighted above, even I hadn't had a drink for a year I would fall over, my balance is shot to bits & the Dr's are unable to figure out why.

I also suspect that if they breathalysed to many drivers they would run out of cells in the police stations around the country.

Edited by Golden Triangle
Extra info

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

This place is the hub of insane ideas !! I couldn’t think up half the insane things they spout out if you gave me a month to think one up ! ????????????????

Have a beer, alcohol reduces inhibitions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Firstly I must say that I don't drink and drive, if I drink the Mrs always drives, she's happy with a small glass of wine, but it would be impossible for me to pass the sobriety test I have highlighted above, even I hadn't had a drink for a year I would fall over, my balance is shot to bits & the Dr's are unable to figure out why.

I also suspect that if they breathalysed to many drivers they would run out of cells in the police stations around the country.

So just do next to nothing .....that's not a solution ,

regards Worgeordie

I think the police chief just 'okayed' a scratch and sniff method of alcohol testing rather than using official breath tests.

The Thai police are world renowned for being able to spot drunk drivers without breath tests and for always issuing receipts for any fines paid...

I smell a brown envelope plan cooking... "Just in time for New Year lads." Is what he said to his officers.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Haha 1

Just now, mikebell said:

And we've raised the speed limit to ensure maximum fatalities from your expected accident.

And another thing - what do they do with all this spare time? Drove 350Kms over Xmas.  I saw ONE COP on the roads.  I saw NINE cars concertinaed on Mway 7 + the usual 30 speedsters weaving in and out of my braking space!

Perhaps they should be checking licences, insurance, illegal lights, number plates sprayed over, illegal exhausts, 4 pillion passengers on a bike , overloaded pickups, underage drivers .... the list is endless..  We see pics of hundreds of police saluting their bosses......... what do they do all day.... we never see them around the town..... just forgot... I saw a few in the gold shops playing with their phones !!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Perhaps they should be checking licences, insurance, illegal lights, number plates sprayed over, illegal exhausts, 4 pillion passengers on a bike , overloaded pickups, underage drivers .... the list is endless..  We see pics of hundreds of police saluting their bosses......... what do they do all day.... we never see them around the town..... just forgot... I saw a few in the gold shops playing with their phones !!!!

Nah, they're not playing with their phones. They're 'working':

Checking facebook posts showing photos of thefts in other gold shops, to ensure they recognise the miscreant if they come into their shop.

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

3 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm... what a diabolically cunning idea. To cut down on testing for alcohol in a period of the year where there is usually increased alcohol consumption.

This will increase road safety......Only in Thailand?

You've missed something! They announced there would be no ban on alcohol sales, thereby guaranteeing there will be one, whilst reducing panic buying and hoarding.

If there's no alcohol, why waste resources testing. Simple.

Edited by Grusa

6 minutes ago, Grusa said:

You've missed something! They announced there would be no ban on alcohol sales, thereby guaranteeing there will be one, whilst reducing panic buying and hoarding.

If there's no alcohol, why waste resources testing. Simple.

Yes, I am suspicious about that too. Seems almost every time there is an announcement that something or other will not happen, or they have no plans to do something, then they mean the total opposite.

Just have to wait and see and hope I am proved well by this time.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Seems almost every time there is an announcement that something or other will not happen, or they have no plans to do something, then they mean the total opposite.

That is assuming they are clever and have some sort of strategy.

They aren't and they don't.