Thai PM assures no national lockdown despite a surge in COVID-19 cases

webfact

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thailand accepts any chance of tourism or revenue from tourism is already blown for the year so, that is of no concern or an issue to them.

He announced a complete lockdown in March time when they were controlling the virus adequately and people felt a national lockdown was not necessary.

Why now when the cases are rising in many areas and from multiple sources allegedly, gambling dens, Burmese fishermen, seafood markets, etc does he not now impose a national lockdown?

No reason not to announce a lockdown as people on the move back to their home provinces for New Year will spread Covid19, to every province in the country, especially with the new strain, which no doubt is already in the country?

Bizarre! Absolutely unfathomable!

My thoughts exactly nationwide control by central government is what is required now, however March lockdown has so destroyed the economy in terms of tourism jobs they just cannot afford to decimate the hotel trade and national tourism any further. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He still doesn't understand his own people does he.  He expects the independent provinces to control the masses without a government mandating strict control itself.  He has definitely lost the plot. I don't want lockdowns either but what choice is there when all travel is still allowed and assisting the virus to spread.  No win situation i guess.

He understands very well this is his get out clause "I didn't do it" the provincial governors did and "they were too slow to react" or "they over-reacted it wasn't necessary". Getting ready for the next selection sorry election.

3 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

Oh! come on - what this guy is saying is that his policing infrastructure is not fit for purpose. Whatever happened to agressive law enforcement. Seems that he is saying that he relies on informants, and not his own police officers who are probably running these operations or accepting brown envelopes from them.

"his own police officers" do not exist. As I keep arguing here, the RTP are a separate franchise, and receive only minimal control from the government/military (matters of Immigration are an occasional exception, though Immigration remains part of the RTP). I haven't had anyone disagree with me yet. I would like to see an end to this situation be a demand of the students, but I'm not sure that even they fully understand this; and like most Thais, there are a lot of laws they don't want to see enforced themselves, anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thailand accepts any chance of tourism or revenue from tourism is already blown for the year so, that is of no concern or an issue to them.

He announced a complete lockdown in March time when they were controlling the virus adequately and people felt a national lockdown was not necessary.

Why now when the cases are rising in many areas and from multiple sources allegedly, gambling dens, Burmese fishermen, seafood markets, etc does he not now impose a national lockdown?

No reason not to announce a lockdown as people on the move back to their home provinces for New Year will spread Covid19, to every province in the country, especially with the new strain, which no doubt is already in the country?

Bizarre! Absolutely unfathomable!

Because there is a vaccine now. Allow it to spread. Some individuals will invest in a vaccine that the government will buy off of them for a huge mark up.

Those individuals will make huge sums and everybody will be happy...well some will. Money, money, money

• Like 2

Why now stop inter-province travel from tomorrow? 

That way those who have gone home for new year - and are mixing with family from all over the country against all advice - couldn't bring the virus back to the cities.  Yes, it's in the cities already, but more, and varied strains, are not needed!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He still doesn't understand his own people does he.  He expects the independent provinces to control the masses without a government mandating strict control itself.  He has definitely lost the plot. I don't want lockdowns either but what choice is there when all travel is still allowed and assisting the virus to spread.  No win situation i guess.

On the contrary !

Prayut has played a blinder. By putting the onus for Virus control onto the heads of the Provincial Governors, he has blindsided any possible Flack that may come his way when it all goes T@ts up.

We have already seen some Ministers and Leading Public Figures " Home Quarantine ", which could possibly be construed as dodging the issue, and their responsibility.

• Like 2

Resign. Now. You are despised like never before. Prayuth once again says responsibility needs to be shared. So, I ask. When was the last time he took responsibility for anything? Has he apologized? Has he admitted this happened on his watch, and it very possibly could have been prevented?

If not, Prayuth should offer to resign immediately, and the people, and especially the youth, should demand that. It is their right to demand a competent leader, during an emergency, especially. The very least the people can expect in return for the billions given to the hapless army, is protection of some sort. With hundreds of thousands of soldiers, what on earth are these guys doing with their time, if not patrolling the borders, the rivers, and the seas, during a pandemic the neighbors are dealing with? Fishing boats should be randomly stopped, and checked. Borders should be locked down. Tens of thousands of soldiers could be patrolling the hills in ATV's. Something seems very fishy here.

Are we looking at gross incompetence? Are we looking at total indifference? Just massive corruption? And if so, how far up the chain does the cash go? Are any investigations taking place? If not, why? Laziness? Sloth? Fear of what they will find, and who it will lead to?

This massive failure represents total derelicton of duty, on the part of Prayuth, Anutin, and the entire leadership. So my message to the administration is this. Man up. Admit you messed this one up badly. Admit the border could have been controlled if you had devoted the tens of thousands of soldiers required then, instead of now. You dropped the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I recall the provincial administrations pretty much managed to self-regulate themselves last April but they do seem less focused this time around. Banglamung/Pattaya went red on the morning of his planned helicopter trip yesterday. Maybe if he makes some more whistle-stop provincial trips, the others will get the message?

Do they still not understand that the virus has to have a carrier ?

You can leave the bars open Boss but stop all inter provincial travel, such as you did to Rayong.

All you are doing is providing a vehicle.

At least that way there is a chance that can isolate in one region. At present I can travel by plane  or car to wherever I want, have a holiday & merrily bring the virus back to my home on my  return.

Not so smart

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

He understands very well this is his get out clause "I didn't do it" the provincial governors did and "they were too slow to react" or "they over-reacted it wasn't necessary". Getting ready for the next selection sorry election.

The unelected "PM" doesn't need any elections or selections, he will be there as long as he wants, or as long as his generals income streams keep going up.

• Like 1

Thailand has dealt with this in a very logical fashion , nothing has changed , noone is dieing , we have been business as usual for a long time with the exception of borders , nothing " new " has occured other than a bit of testing , no difference .

It's a wise decision , lockdowns don't work , Thai people in.general have strong immune , running searching for asymptomatic , closing things down is the last thing that's needed right now , enough damage done .

This is a virus , it's not going away if you lock yourself in your room , you need expoursure , you need a functional up to date immune .

I think it's a very good statement , and I hope it remains a statement of fact , for those who wish to self isolate , you have that opportunity .

Other than that , get out and enjoy you life , to be so scared of dieing that you are afraid to live is the real tradegy .

Thailand you have done really well , let's carry on as we always have without destroying lives of those who have invested heavily in this country .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

My thoughts exactly nationwide control by central government is what is required now, however March lockdown has so destroyed the economy in terms of tourism jobs they just cannot afford to decimate the hotel trade and national tourism any further. 

Don't you think that damage is already done and any further destruction will be negligible?

Thailand with a couple of hundred cases a day does not need to lockdown. Lockdowns are last resort and required when a country has lost control and Thailand never has, fact.

Britain with 50,000 cases yesterday lost control months ago. They haven't got the resources to contact trace those numbers and have to test, test, test to find their cases. Pls don't compare Britain with Thailand - Britain is 200 times worse.

If individual provinces want to lockdown in Thailand, let them know themselves out. There is little benefit on top of the existing measures of effective contact tracing, widespread masks, restrict indoor gatherings, general community discipline (never going to be 100% but pretty good) and the weather. 

Edited by Donga
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I agree. Other Asians are capable in this regard, able to successfully coordinate large scale initiatives. Even China, as much as I hate that country, is able to do this.

Thailand however is more like a loose system of feudal fiefdoms. Without being forced by the national government, they have no chance at success. 

Agree that Thailand is a mixed bad. That brings negative issues and benefits, as well with not being overly controlled. China, as a totalitarian government controlled society can more effectively respond on a national basis. I think there is a real threat of the Chinese government model becoming more and more, the model to emulate. In the name of needed security ... naturally.

• Thanks 1

The weight of evidence (China, Australia, NZ) is that lockdowns actually work.  So why are Thailand leaders saying no to a lockdown?  Accept the science and public health advice, do a proper lockdown, seal the borders using Border Police and the Army to enforce, immediate quarantine for all cases detected, and they will see community transmission reduced to zero in a few cycles.  Ensure the current ASQ is maintained for all international arrivals so any cases are caught before they get into the community.  Perhaps a month or six weeks of people having to do it tough then they can reopen business and schools again.

4 hours ago, sandhurstmolonski said:

Thailand has dealt with this in a very logical fashion , nothing has changed , noone is dieing , we have been business as usual for a long time with the exception of borders , nothing " new " has occured other than a bit of testing , no difference .

It's a wise decision , lockdowns don't work , Thai people in.general have strong immune , running searching for asymptomatic , closing things down is the last thing that's needed right now , enough damage done .

This is a virus , it's not going away if you lock yourself in your room , you need expoursure , you need a functional up to date immune .

I think it's a very good statement , and I hope it remains a statement of fact , for those who wish to self isolate , you have that opportunity .

Other than that , get out and enjoy you life , to be so scared of dieing that you are afraid to live is the real tradegy .

Thailand you have done really well , let's carry on as we always have without destroying lives of those who have invested heavily in this country .

The death toll of coronavirus is lower than other other preceding viruses, such as MERS and SARS. What is concerning the medical profession is the ability of COVID-19 to cause long-term or permanent lung damage. For some, it's like a non-smoker suddenly becoming someone with a 3 pack a day habit. In Australia, with 28,000 cases, the medicos are claiming 40% of infected people are suffering debilitating health effects well past the normal lifespan of flu.

I'd like to see a faster rollout of vaccines here, to get the immunity of which you speak. Not so much of a lottery.